Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
New Camper

I am the new proud owner of a Paradise Pointe RL 36. I knew I had a lot to learn, just didn't realize how much a "lot" could be! I plan on pulling it with a Ram 2500 diesel, long bed. Any recommendations on hitches keeping in mind that I generally think simple is better?
Old 07-21-2010, 12:54 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Since you have a long box on your truck, a standard hitch that pivots on two axies in the 16 to 18k range should be simple enough. In addition to that add a "BedSaver" to the hitch. It's the cheapest insurance you can buy.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:35 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I couldn't agree more. On both acounts. Oh and welcome to the forum.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:55 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Welcome to the family! I have a Reese 16K slider. I have had no issues with it. I have never needed the slider option but I have it if I need it (I have the short bed). I can't imagine you would need the slider with an 8ft bed.
Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
New Camper

Thanks for the help, although I couldn't find anything on the "bedsaver". What is it?
Old 07-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
New Camper

Bedsaver, http://www.blueox.us/Bedsaver/bedsaver.htm, is a product made by Blue Ox. It is mounted to your 5th wheel hitch and will catch your hitch pin in the event that you fail to completely lock the hitch pin into the 5th wheel hitch. I would not have a 5th wheel hitch without one, especially after seeing too many crashed truck beds after the 5th wheel slid out of the hitch. After having a B&W Companion hitch, I strongly recommend that hitch. It can easily be removed from the truck bed when not needed and returns the bed to a flat surface---no rails in the truck bed.http://www.turnoverball.com/rv.asp. Good Luck

1997 Ford F250 7.3l Diesel

2011 CT26RKX

Equalizer 12k Hitch/TST TPMS
Rick7t7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Really? Are we going to get into another 3 page thread on hitches and "the bedsaver"? Pick 3-4 hitch shops and see there products inperson. Find what you feel comfortable operating and within your budget. Get a good hitch and the bedsaver won't be required. Take your time and get into a routine when coupling and uncoupling your unit bymaking a check list and go through it religiously. A bedsaver doesn't prevent you from driving off with you stabilizer jacks down or awning unlocked among other things.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, there are many good tips and members here who will always share their opinions.

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeja
Pick 3-4 hitch shops and see there products inperson. Find what you feel comfortable operating and within your budget. Get a good hitch and the bedsaver won't be required. Take your time and get into a routine when coupling and uncoupling your unit bymaking a check list and go through it religiously. A bedsaver doesn't prevent you from driving off with you stabilizer jacks down or awning unlocked among other things.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, there are many good tips and members here who will always share their opinions.
I would also add that it's been my experience that most RV dealerships don't know hitches. Find a true hitch dealer or two in your area and speak with them. I have also found that hitch dealers will also have better service and pricing. If you can't find one in your area look for companies that install snow plows, truck accessories,etc. If you still don't have any luck speak with your local auto dealership that sells pick-ups with dump beds, boxes, snow plows, etc. Most auto dealers usually outsource these activities to these guys. Good luck.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:27 AM   #9
New Camper

You guys are great. I feel like I'm back in college (I think I remember being there). Thanks for the input on hitches. Reyja mentioned a departure/arrival checklist. Is there such a thing already available or do I make my own? Also, what are your feelings about long term parking: obviously it would be cooler here in Florida under the oak trees but out in the open my PP would stay cleaner. And, how often does one have to clean and recoat the roof?
Old 07-22-2010, 12:45 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

If you search for "check list" in the archives you'll see many threads on the subject. Also Good Sam's web site has several pretty extensive lists.
We have a list for home on things we need to take each time. We also have two lists in the trailer, one for inside preparation for travel and one for outside. My DW goes through the inside list while I go through the outside list. The lists have a check box by each item so we really know we've completed that task. It might be a little anal but we never miss a beat!

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:52 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

I think all questions should be answered without an attitude. New members need answers.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:07 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwit
I think all questions should be answered without an attitude. New members need answers.

I couldn't agree more. Come on everyone, let's not be so cynical.

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

If you havean iPhone or iPod touch thereare acouple RV checklist aps available. I use one simply called"RV Checklist". My wife and Ihave it on each of ouriPod Touchs so we have our own lists and can cross check some of the more critical items, likecrank down the TV antenna...

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote