Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2019, 05:59 PM   #1
New Camper

I just joined today

Hello everyone. I am new here! I am looking for some tips about living in my RV trailer year round. First time I ever owned an RV/travel trailer (ZT 25RB) This seems like the best place to learn. My main concern right now is living in it during the winter months. I am in SC so it's not that cold but we do drop below freezing now and then until March. I'm also looking for somewhere to park long term. The places here are crazy expensive long term (monthly)...about $1,000 or more a month.

Looking forward to making new friends!
Mitch
Old 01-30-2019, 06:52 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the forum from NC. Living in a camper year round can be tricky in the winter time as far as things freezing. Maybe someone that actually does that year round in SC will offer advice. I’ve camped in below freezing temperatures several times but I also had a 5er with the winter package and my water hose still froze solid outside.I know they sell water hoses now that plug in that are freeze proof. I’m not sure how much electricity they use. $1000 a month seems high to me. Is that including your electricity or is that separate? I would be checking for better prices. Also does your camper have the winter package? I know in SC it might not get below freezing often but it only takes one time for a day or so to burst pipes. Good question and hopefully others will jump in to offer their advice .

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:45 AM   #3
New Camper

Papa-T, thanks for the welcome. The rent does include full hookups, sewer and electric, plus cable and Wi-Fi. It's in the Hilton Head/ Savannah area. Resort prices. The other local campgrounds are booked solid. I needed something near my house until I'm moved out and into my camper.
My travel trailer does not have the winter package. I'm hoping to head a bit further south soon. I'm also hoping to insulate everything before that. It was 33° this morning. Heading to Home Depot now haha.
Mobile home lots are so much cheaper but none I've found allow or want RVs. They're looking for long term over 12 months.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:21 AM   #4
Site Team

Hello and welcome from the deep freeze known as Missouri. Its -8 here not counting the wind chill.

As to living in your camper I can tell you our experience. We had the old place torn down and a foundation poured for a modular home so from the time we moved into the camper- a 28 ft. Salem le 5th wheel with 1 slide- we were in the camper about 5 long months during the winter. The camper was in the lower drive by the garage/shop on gravel. The electrician Ran a 30 amp service to it. We had to use a 100 ft. hose to reach the water.

Now what we learned.

Heat and hot water would use a 30# tank in about 2 and a half days when it was very cold. Solution we had a 500 gallon propane tank that we used. Our local CO OP hook every thing up and serviced the tank. We also used a electric heater only when we were there and moved it to the area we were in.

Water. 100 ft. hose and nothing in the tank when it would go below 30 or so. we learned that's where the lines would freeze and no water. So if it would be below freezing we disconnected the hose and drained it and would use a few gallon jugs till the temp warmed up.

Now where did all that water go? We have a clean out for the septic tank so we used one of those blue tanks on wheels and would empty the black tank before a cold spell on when it was about 1/2 a tank. We learned that was the correct amount for the tank on wheels. I wont go into details how we learned that but it only took one "lesson". As to the "gray" I have a little over 5 acres in the country so it went on the ground but in a park they would have sewer hook ups.

Direct TV ran a flat wire in thru the trunk door so it would still shut.

In hind site we should have used some stray bales around it to help with wind going underneath. It would have helped with the heat.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Living in a trailer in the winter

I don't live in mine full time but I do spend most of the local deer season in and out of it. Usually it's only a few days at a time but sometimes it's longer.

You might think about running a separate 120VAC line into the RV from the pedestal. That way you can plug an electric heater in and not trip breakers on your RV panel.

Watch your water hose. you might want to wrap it in heat tape and insulate it to keep it from freezing. I understand that there is a commercial version but it's expensive. Note that they also sell a little unit that turns on the electricity when the temperature gets close to freezing.

A friend of mine installed electric heating pads for his fresh, grey, and black tanks. I'll see if he has part numbers.

You can insulate your windows by adding an inner window made of plexiglass.

You should also insulate all of the plumbing that you can reach.
mdbeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:34 PM   #6
Site Team

I have never been in SC, but just from what you are telling us about your trailer and weather down there, I would say you will probably not be happy or comfortable.
Hate to throw a wet towel on your plans, but that is my thoughts.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:52 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I have never been in SC, but just from what you are telling us about your trailer and weather down there, I would say you will probably not be happy or comfortable.
Hate to throw a wet towel on your plans, but that is my thoughts.
I have to agree with Lloyd...I would think you would be better off with a tiny house than your Zinger...IMHO...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:55 PM   #8
New Camper

dagst1, thank you for sharing your experience. I've picked up some heaters and am looking into a skirt of some kind, but I did add plenty of insulation for the outdoor pipes. Most of the underbelly is covered and easy enough to warm. Had one night we hit 31 degrees. No problems at all. One couple in the park did end up with a frozen pipe. I think it was their grey water pipe. I have mine wrapped so far so good. 70 degrees next week. I doubt we'll see anymore cold nights. Which I actually enjoyed.

PS I had trouble logging back in. Thanks all for sharing your tips/advice. Much appreciated.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:01 PM   #9
New Camper

Next year I might just drive to Florida which is only two hours away haha
Old 02-07-2019, 05:58 PM   #10
New Camper

SC is home

We were full time campers for two years and we are in upper SC where it is much colder than Hilton Head. All we did was get some insulation and wrap our water hose. It was a very cold winter the first year but we would leave the sinks dripping and never had any frozen pipes. We did not keep our water hot but just when we wanted to shower to save money. We didn’t run the propane furnace at night but did have a quartz heater that we used, and electric blanket on bed. We loved it! Would still be doing it if my husbands health had not failed.
us323900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:40 AM   #11
New Camper

Watch YouTube...
mattday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags