Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I really want to buy this but...

Hi. My name is Tom. I am trying to buy a 2016 Zinger 33QB trailer from Camping World. If I can manage to bite my tongue until tomorrow, I will have it in my driveway. It is a beautiful coach and it is EXACTLY what I am looking for. Nothing else has been exactly what I want.

The folks at my "Friendly" neighborhood Camping World have been nothing short of rude and unprofessional. Once they found out that I would not be needing any financing, they have been cold and rude. They started acting as if I was interrupting their day and wasting their time. They even told me that they no longer wanted my trade and that I would be best off to "Drag it down the street to LKQ and sell it for scrap."

I called and told the salesman that I would be there Thursday afternoon to stroke a check and pick it up. He barked that I had better be there by 3 because he has taken enough sh*t on this deal.

If there was another of this model ANYWHERE to be had, I would have immediately walked away and bought it. No such luck... It seems that after an extensive search, this is the ONLY new one left unsold in the free world... So if I can make it through tomorrow afternoon, I will be the proud owner of a new Zinger. THAT I am excited about. This will be my first new trailer.

I look forward to being part of the group of happy owners!
Moogvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:40 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

i would not buy it , show up at 3 and tell them in no other words what you think of their attitude. then walk out ...make sure there are customers there...plus if this is anything like their service , you will not be happy ...and the trailer willl need service.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:55 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
i would not buy it , show up at 3 and tell them in no other words what you think of their attitude. then walk out ...make sure there are customers there...plus if this is anything like their service , you will not be happy ...and the trailer willl need service.

X2
I wouldn't buy one from them on a bet.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:42 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

x3. No matter how much you like that, I would keep looking elsewhere. Like stated above, if you ever need service on it from there you already know what you will be dealing with. Have you contacted crossroads directly?
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
Gone Traveling

If Camping World were the only place to buy rvs I'd get out of rving totally! Seems that 90% of the horrible warranty problems come from CW service center, they need to stick selling rv stuff & get out of sales & service (or lack of).
I agree with everyone else, walk away, NO RUN!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:22 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I purchased a 5th wheel from CW. I've not heard good things about them, but the same thing can be said for any sales or service centers. Consumers rarely post positive experiences. All that said, I was hesitant to purchase my Cruiser from CW, however they are the only dealer around for a few hundred miles and I really wanted a Cruiser 5th wheel. I'm planning to just pay extra for an independent service person who is approved to do warranty work through CR.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:31 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I purchased mine from CW and had zero issues overall that I can complain about. But...I do have friends who purchased from the same CW and are having terrible service from them as far as warranty work.
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:34 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

If they are that upset, you must be getting a heck of a deal. If you repulse them so badly, buy it from them out of spite.

dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:38 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

And by the way, Good Sam / Camping World is very interested in customer feedback. They have worked hard to repair their brand image (with limited success). I would reach out to their corporate offices and/or go to the Dear Marcus forum and share your experience with them. There is a page specifically for Camping World RV Sales feedback.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:33 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Can you not order the one you want new from another dealer? You don't have to buy what's on the lot - you can order one the way you want, just like a car. Our daughter bought a new Sunset Trail fifth wheel two years ago and it was ordered by the dealer from the factory. See if there are any other dealers nearby who will order one for you.

I would call Crossroads and ask them if there are any other dealers around who are nicer to deal with. Also tell them how you are being treated by one of their dealers.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:42 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

CW

Don't wast your time and money and your mind. Run walk or fly away from this deal. There are other places to buy a camper then you can get crap on later. Bad mojoo here and move on and don't be in a rush.
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Try Lazydays in Tampa Fl. Sometimes they give you money to cover your travel expenses home.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:28 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

What I did not realize from the outset is that they were trying to find a way to finance me in-house at 18% interest to make money on the back end... More money than I would have in fact paid for the trailer. It was when I told them I had my own financing that things had gone downhill. They refused my trade, told me to take it down the street to LKQ and sell it for salvage.

Everything was going along great until I said "No financing", then instantly I became a second-class citizen. They even started trying to nickel and dime me for everything. They wanted $120.00 to put the WD Hitch chain cleats on the new trailer... IT IS 2 "C-CLAMPS"! Slap them on, tighten the bolt and you are done! No thanks. They got upset because I didn't want them to do it.

I can't order another one from the factory because it is a 2016. They aren't making them anymore. There isn't another Crossroads dealer for hundreds of miles... Not even the other camping world locations in my area. I had a friend tell me that they are upset because they wouldn't have given me the deal I am getting if they knew I was going to go with the 100% down payment method, but since we have a deal on paper, they legally cannot refuse it now.

They were advertising it on their website as a "blowout" priced at $00000 Plus Tax, Tags, License and Doc fees. I am walking out the door at exactly $00,000 (including TT&L), so I don't think I am getting (mod edit) on it... I still would have liked to get it for 00 Out The Door.

My pride tells me to walk away from it but at that price, I can't get anything even close to it anywhere else at any distance. Plus, the fact that they hope I will walk is all the more reason for me to buy it. It lets me know they won't be making a "Profit".

My only concern is finding a place that is authorized to conduct any future repairs. A lot of the stuff I can do myself but I obviously can't do any warranty work. I have already contacted their corporate offices and have been given the direct line of the person I need to complain to. I don't really want anyone to lose their jobs but I do think they need a reality check.

I also found out that the CEO of Camping World is Marcus Lemonis - the host of the TV show "The Profit". I sent him an email as well, although I don't expect to hear anything back from him.

At the end of the day, I like the deal I am getting but I don't care for the people I am getting it from. I had a hard decision to make and since they won't be coming camping with me, I have decided to buy it... Partially because of the deal and partially out of spite because I know they want me to walk away from it. Oh... and MOSTLY because my wife wants it.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:44 PM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogvo View Post
Oh... and MOSTLY because my wife wants it.
End of discussion.

So not that we're pen-pals or anything, but years ago I had an issue that escalated up to Marcus and he seemed pretty responsive. He didn't exactly promise me daily status updates, but I came away with the impression that he heard my side of the issue and took it under consideration and did whatever he saw fit to do.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't want you to be insulted by his staff. I imagine he would be a lot more satisfied if they just took this deal in the shorts and made a good impression on you so they would have the chance to recoup some of their losses through merchandise, service, yearly Good Sam memberships, yearly Emergency Roadside Assistance, and so on. Sending you away p.o. (and vocal about it) is bad business.

If there's any silver lining, it's that there seems to be a high turnover at the Camping World stores. The folks that you're having confrontations with today won't likely still work there the next time you return.

I was on jury duty a couple years back and one of the guys on my jury happened to be a service writer from Camping World. He wore his CW windbreaker every day and talked trash about his employer. When it came time for the jury to vote, he would vote last so he could vote with the majority because he just wanted to get out of there. He was horrible for business. He isn't there anymore though.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:56 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
Try Lazydays in Tampa Fl. Sometimes they give you money to cover your travel expenses home.
We have not purchased a trailer from Lazydays, since they are in Florida and we are in Canada, but they seem like a first class outfit. This is the largest RV dealership anywhere. It's an experience just seeing it!

They give courses, most of which are free. We took the trailer course and the instructor had a method for backing a trailer into a campsite using dots on the trailer for reference points. He also talked about dots on the mirrors, etc.

We actually went for a one-on-one lesson with him the day we pulled out of our campsite in Florida where we were all winter. It was really helpful! He showed us stuff not covered in the course. He did not charge us but we gave him a tip.

At Lazydays they have their own campground with a special place for you to camp for a couple of days with the new camper you buy from them, just to make sure everything is working.

If we were anywhere close to this dealership, we would certainly buy a camper from them!

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:57 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Their service people seemed to be nicer than the sales staff. Maybe I won't have too much trouble out of them, although I don't plan on being there very often.

Lee Iaccoca said once while he was working at Ford: "I could give the cars away and still make money on the parts and service." This is true and they stand to make a LOT more off of the service (at $120.00 just to move a couple of C-clamps around). I am very much a DIYer and don't think that they will be seeing me all that often anyway.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:19 PM   #17
Site Team

I would call Crossroads and ask them for the name of a Crossroads authorized warranty shop. There are possibly other Crossroads warranty repair shops in your area. You do not have to take the rv back to your dealer.
If you find one, that may make your deal worth it. If you have to take it back to CW for warranty work I'd talk to the service manager and see how they may possibly treat you. It's tough to give up the rv you like when your heart is set on it.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:19 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

If you are happy with the deal go for it. Salesmen are a dime a dozen and dealerships change them more often than I change my shorts. By the way I change them daily. At any dealership once you sign on the dotted line your relationship with the salesmen is gone you need a good rapor with the service manager
woodwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:28 PM   #19
Seasonal Camper

I told my salesman at CW I was hesitant to buy from them because of their reputation. I told him to prove me wrong. I am waiting for some minor fixes which they tell me require warranty approval. In all fairness I can't take delivery until the beginning of May, so as long as it's done by then I'm not going to complain.

They tried to up sell me on extended warranties and stuff at closing. They actually got me better financing than ibwas able to get myself. The woman kept getting madder and madder every time I said no when she came back with some price cut or coupon. Fear not, they are not going hungry.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:01 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

Obviously the OP does not care what we think as he is still going to get sucked in by this CW dealership. good luck to you ..hope you do not have to much trouble with your trailer .....we all warned you...
I learned a lesson from the dealer I bought mine from....but guess you have to do it yourself...

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote