Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2017, 03:08 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Question New Member in SE Michigan w/some questions

Hi Crossroads group!

I signed up a couple weeks ago and appreciate some of the ideas & suggestions I've seen on others' posts.

Our family has graduated from a pop-up to a 2017 Crossroads 290QB that I have purchased & will be picking up (in TN) later this month.

A few questions:
1. I'll be pulling w/a 2016 F-150 V6 Ecoboost 4wd. I'll be well below the truck's towing limits. I'm considering adding Air Lift Ride Control to the truck to help w/keeping the truck level. I will also be using an Equalizer Hitch. Thoughts on the Air Lift?

2. Also considering the purchase of a Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X 30 amp surge protector. They aren't cheap (~ $250 on Amazon). I've seen a lot of people recommend some type of protection...is this one overkill or appropriate?
dt5peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:44 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Yes

Yes, I'd be more concerned about overworking your V-6
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

The air bags would work good for you. I would also suggest looking into the Roadmaster Active Suspension, I have it on my 2015 F150 and really like it. Once you get it set to your liking you are all set, no inflating and deflating. Ask around get other opinions, in the end it comes down to personal preference. The surge protector is also a great investment. Enjoy your new camper.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:39 PM   #4
Site Team

It all depends on how your f150 Eco-Boost has been set up. What gear ratio does the truck have? Do you have max tow, and a decent set of tires?

Like Scott stated, Roadmaster Active Suspension should be the way to go.

Surge protector would be an excellent addition.

Welcome aboard.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:19 PM   #5
Site Team

Should be no issue with the twin turbo v6. I have no problems whatsoever. I do have the Roadmaster active suspension. It does more than just keep the tow vehicle level. Check out their web site: https://activesuspension.com/
Progressive Industry is probably the best surge protector you can get. Made in USA, lifetime warranty. Good luck.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:59 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the tips

Thanks for the tips guys.

The truck has the 3.55 axle, max trailer tow package, which specs out at 11,600# loaded trailer weight. It should handle the 7800# GVWR trailer.

I'll pull the trigger on the Progressive surge protector and take a look at the Roadmaster.

Thanks again!
Old 02-03-2017, 09:53 PM   #7
Gone Traveling

Don't know bout the truck (not my brand), but definitely get the surge protector, I've already fried one with bad campground electric & no telling what that saved in electronic damages.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:04 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
It all depends on how your f150 Eco-Boost has been set up. What gear ratio does the truck have? Do you have max tow, and a decent set of tires?

Like Scott stated, Roadmaster Active Suspension should be the way to go.

Surge protector would be an excellent addition.

Welcome aboard.
I do have max tow w/3.55 axle. Spec'd at 11,600# GVWR; trailer will be well under that. I have the 275/55R20 A/T tires it came with. I'm out of town (w/out the truck), so I'll have to check the tires when I get home for specific load info.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:15 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

That sounds like the same tires I had on my last 2015 F150. Mine were Hankook low profile. I didn't like the ride while towing. Not firm enough. There are limited options for E rated tires in the 20's, but there are some. I bought an aggressive Toyo Open County E rated, and they made a big difference. My trailer was just a bit havier than yours at the time. I also had Firstone airbags.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:01 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Welcome from NC

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote