Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2022, 10:35 PM   #1
New Camper

New owners of a 2019 Sunset Trail 239BH

Thanks for the welcome! We spent a lot of time looking at travel trailers trying to find the balance between storage for clothes and stuff (DW) and keeping it light and short (DH), plus room for the 2 kids to not only sleep but spread out as needed. The best balance we found bar none is the 239BH. It doesn't have as many places to store "stuff" as she wants, but it doesn't break the weight budget for my RAM 1500. In the first week since we bought the trailer (in GA, found an awesome deal on the 2019 at Georgia RV Outlet) we have towed from Georgia to Alabama on mostly back highways and camped at a campground in Oxford, Alabama. From Alabama to Memphis, TN for a short stopover with friends, from TN to home (near Rockford, IL) where we stopped at a campground for a few more days of "near home" camping. Took a day at home, then towed to the in-laws and "driveway camped" for a couple of days. 4 of us in the trailer for over a week, figured we'd find out quick whether it works out!!!

We are "cross-grading" from a 1999 Class C motorhome (which was my "step up" from pop-up camping). The Class C was nice but cramped, and the biggest drawback was going places then having no way to get around. We square dance. And I mean we square dance a LOT (I'm a caller and square dance instructor). We travel all over the country going to square dance conventions and festivals. That means hauling not just ourselves but a lot of outfits, which really need to be hung out (one of the main concerns by DW was room to hang her square dance dresses and my shirts) and sometimes sound equipment. We used the motorhome for a while going to conventions, but always had the problem of either having to pull up stakes every day to drive to the convention center or dance hall or else depend on other means of transportation (not always available).

In our first trip with our new-to-us Sunset Trail, we've already gone to a state convention in Alabama and square danced in Memphis. Plenty of room for outfits to hang and for me to carry sound equipment for calling a square dance. Yay! I think we found the perfect camper!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 238BHandTV.jpg (476.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20220830_075201.jpg (521.2 KB, 4 views)
Johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:55 AM   #2
Site Team

Hello and Welcome!

Nice camper Enjoy!
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:04 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Congrats and welcome to the forum. Sounds like us. We started out in a pop up (for one weekend) then moved to a TT. Then to a Class C for going to our daughters dance competitions. Then went to fifth wheels, then bigger 5er. Then switched smaller to fiberglass uhauls and Scamps. Then back to 5ers. Ahhh all the money I’ve lost trading. Lol

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:52 AM   #4
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Congrats and welcome to the forum. Sounds like us. We started out in a pop up (for one weekend) then moved to a TT. Then to a Class C for going to our daughters dance competitions. Then went to fifth wheels, then bigger 5er. Then switched smaller to fiberglass uhauls and Scamps. Then back to 5ers. Ahhh all the money I’ve lost trading. Lol
Yep! I started as a tent camper, but decided I'd had my fill of that in the Army. First "RV" was a small single-wing Coleman PopUp. No frills, just a bed wing in front, a dinette/bed in back and some space in the middle. Loved it, but it was tiny! Upgraded to a Jayco Qwest (10' box) with queen and full beds, indoor/outdoor kitchen. I loved it, but the first time I took my wife (at the time fiancé) it was 100+ out, the second time it poured rain the entire weekend and we were stuck with 2 adults and 3 dogs inside in the pouring rain (and she was sick to boot). She decided PU camping wasn't for her, so we bought our 23' Class C (1999 Coachman Catalina on a Ford E-350 chassis) for our honeymoon. That C toured the country, literally from coast to coast (Oregon/Washington to the Eastern Seaboard). It was great for 2, but starting to get cramped as the 2 kids have grown (not to mention climbing into the over-cab bed was getting less fun as we've gotten older). And it finally started falling apart on us, but not until we put a LOT of miles on it.

I still have the Jayco PU in the back garage. One of these days I should sell it, but it's hard to part with it! The C is on it's way to "RV Heaven".
Johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:40 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Nice rig Welcome to the forum from Southern Michigan and Happy Camping
Old 09-07-2022, 11:51 PM   #6
Site Team

Congratulations! Welcome to the forum!

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles