Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Greetings all...

We've owned our CF30SK for about 2 years; however, except for weekend/holiday use, haven't really done any extensive stay. But now we've retired, are in between houses and have been living in our 5th wheel for about 3 weeks.

As this is our 1st long-stay, have questions about hooking up to the parks sewage system. For the 1st couple of days I had all the valve to the holding tanks open, thinking it made sense to have the water/sewage flow out immediately. However, soon noticed an 'odor' whenever we opened up/used the toilet. Did some research and learned 1) i should keep the valves closed and 2) should have put some 'stuff' in the black tank. So, closed up the valves and added some Aqua-Kem. No more smell, but when tanks get full, do you have to hook up and go to a dump station of just open up the valves?

Also, what's the trick to disconnecting the water hose?I did add a pressure reducing valve, but even with the site water valve shut off, can't loosen my water hose that connects to the trailer connector?

Looking forward to learning from your experiences; thanks in advance for sharing.

Dean

Loudon, TN

'06 Ford F-250

'07 CF30SK

irvingd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

You have leaned a good lesson on the black tank! Leave it shut till it is full. When adding chemical (or whatever you use) add 3-4 gallons of water first. When dumping the black tank, I will close the grey valves (both) the night before and let them fill up from doing dishes and taking showers. I will then dump and rinse the black tank ( and then close the black tank valve and add chemical.I then dump the grey tanks to help rinse out the sewer hose. When camped, I normally leave the grey tank valves open. When removing the fresh water hose, I will turn off the RV park water and open the kitchen faucet (or low point cold water drain) to relieve pressure. You can then remove the hose from the RV.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks Stan. Forgot all about relieving the pressure by turning on the faucets. Will let you know if it works.

Ciao...Dean

Loudon, TN

'06 Ford F-250

'07 CF30SK

Old 06-15-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

What Stan said. Â*Couldn't have said it betterÂ*

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

We put a water hoseY connector on the city water connector and put a short piece of hose on one side andbefore we unhook the water hose werun the short hose over the side and turn it on to relieve the pressure and it also keeps from getting water in the storage area. Plus you wouldn't have to go inside to relieve the pressure.
mosledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the suggestion. Will get a Y-connector my next trip to the hardware store.

Loudon, TN

'06 Ford F-250

'07 CF30SK

Old 06-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Ideal setup is to connect the pressure regulator directly at the park water faucet, that way it protects BOTH the RV and your hose. Next add the Y directly after the regulator, now you can shut off the park faucet and release pressure from one spot. Then it will be ez to disconnect the hose.

You can also use the other leg of the Y for outside water needs. Also, if nighttime temps fall below freezing, you can shut off the park faucet, release pressure from your hose, leave both valves on the Y open and run off the fresh water tank and pump.

I could tell you a story of someone (not me) that did not use the regulator to protect the hose and ended up flooding an entire campground one night.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote