Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2020, 08:31 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

New to RVing & the Group

Our trailer just arrived at the dealership this evening. We're going to look at it tomorrow and make sure it's what the salesperson told us was coming in. We're purchasing a Zinger 298BH. Its my husband and I with two teen girls.

The make ready hasn't been done yet and the salesperson wants to get the paperwork done tomorrow. What do we need to tell or ask them when we go tomorrow?

I printed out the PDI checklist and made a copy to give the salesperson and to let him know we'll be going over this after the make ready has been completed. Is that the correct way to approach the checklist?

We would like to get the trailer next week so we're hoping there is noting major that will keep it at the dealership too long.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Can't wait to get outdoors!!

TIA!
Our first RV purchase.
JulieTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:35 AM   #2
Site Team

My suggestion would be ------------DO THE PDI FIRST!
Don't let them talk you into doing the paper work before the PDI gets done. (to your satisfaction)
If there is anything found wrong with the trailer and you have already completed the the paper work and they have your money, well, unless you have an exceptionally honest and good dealer, you could very well be what is referred to as --S.O.L.

Do the PDI first, and don't let them hurry you. If there are issues, leave it there until fixed. Then complete the paper work.

Good luck .Let us know how it goes.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:15 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thank you Lloyd! We’ll let you know how it goes!
Our first RV purchase.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:59 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Agree totally with Lloyd. "Inspect what you expect".

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 03:53 PM   #5
Site Team

Congratulations! Welcome to the forum!

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:46 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the forum. I agree make them go over everything. Not just tell you but show you it all works.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:11 AM   #7
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Welcome to the forum. I agree make them go over everything. Not just tell you but show you it all works.
Do this BEFORE you sign anything!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:48 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Take some pictures or even some short videos to help you remember what everything does and how it works. Especially all of the switches inside the trailer and in the storage compartment. It's a lot of info to take in an hour or two.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:26 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieTexas View Post
Thank you Lloyd! We’ll let you know how it goes!

Julie, are you now owners of a new RV? Just wondering if congratulations are in order.

How did the PDI turn out for you?
Old 10-07-2020, 07:49 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Hey Lloyd,

Thanks for checking in. We do our PDI And closing this Friday. We just picked up our truck in KC this past weekend and now we’re ready for the trailer!! Praying All goes well Friday and they got everything so there’s no issues.

We aren’t installing any add ons, everything we asked about was super expensive for labor. The parts were priced about normal but then they added on ridiculous amounts for labor. Like 2 mud dauber screens $20, install $80 total for each! After reading about them on this site I said no thank you.

How difficult is it to put on the maxx vents? The dealer wanted $415 each and $573 for the maxx aire fan. I saw a you tube vid of a couple that replaced their bathroom fan with a maxx aire fan and he said it was pretty easy to do, is that correct? I was hoping we could just do those. We have one of those tiny fans in the bathroom.

I’ll have more questions later but for now I would like to do all we can to keep the rodents and bugs out of our trailer while it’s stored. Then we can work on things as we go.

Take care and thanks to everyone for your advice!! I love this forum and being noobs, we’ll be asking for lots of advice if we can’t already find it on here.

Julie
Our first RV purchase.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:33 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Julie
If there is electric already to the Vent it should be fairly easy to replace the small fan with the bigger one...Also you can go on "you tube" there is a lot of do-it-yourself RV videos on there as well...You are definitely ahead of the game by posting on this forum, many new B's don't ask the questions until after they buy...Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your new camper...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:03 PM   #12
Site Team

Thanks for the update Julie.
Now remember-----stick to your guns on the PDI.
If you haven't already done it, print out an extra copy of your PDI and drop it off at the dealer and tell them this is what you will be going over when you come to inspect the rv.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:18 PM   #13
New Camper

Hook up

Have them watch you connect the trailer to your tow vehicle. We didn’t & the first time out we installed the anti-sway bars upside down. It magnified the sway making it 5x worse

Have them check air pressure in both RV & truck tires. We left dealership way under inflated.
EricDahl21102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:07 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Ask your dealer to let you stay the night in the trailer on their lot to test everything. Many dealers are now doing this. it allows you to methodically go over everything with a fine tune comb, develop a list of questions then have an opportunity in the morning to get those questions answered while they’re still fresh in your head and they’re still waiting for your money.

We did this when we took delivery of our unit 4 months ago. If that’s not an option, plan on spending all day there.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Tonyg2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:23 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Thumbs up So far, so good! (Knock on wood)

We camped Fri-Mon this weekend in our new Zinger 298BH. I wanted to thank everyone for the advice on PDI & other helpful suggestions for our maiden voyage! We had a wonderful time at Lake Buchannan in Texas. We camped with some friends who rented and it was great to have another man helping with the sway bars this morning! lol

Our PDI went well. There are some things we found this weekend, to be expected, so we'll be making an appt to take it back in. They told us that things we found may be able to get covered by the manufacturer's warranty, is that true? I told them that we wouldn't be paying anything if there were things we found, after the PDI and upon staying in it for 3 days. They said "no deductible". Of course, I'm a bit worried about that, but hoping it all goes as they said and that they don't keep our trailer for too long, because we're ready to go again!!

I videoed the "new owner training" and we did well this morning and got out pretty quickly!

Again, thanks for all of the advice, I'm now ready to post some questions about WiFi, however I'll start a new thead for that. Y'all are the BEST!

Julie
Our first RV purchase.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:30 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Glad to hear your trip and PDI went well. Keep on camping and let us know if you have any other questions.
Tonyg2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:33 PM   #17
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieTexas View Post
We camped Fri-Mon this weekend in our new Zinger 298BH. I wanted to thank everyone for the advice on PDI & other helpful suggestions for our maiden voyage! We had a wonderful time at Lake Buchannan in Texas. We camped with some friends who rented and it was great to have another man helping with the sway bars this morning! lol

Our PDI went well. There are some things we found this weekend, to be expected, so we'll be making an appt to take it back in. They told us that things we found may be able to get covered by the manufacturer's warranty, is that true? I told them that we wouldn't be paying anything if there were things we found, after the PDI and upon staying in it for 3 days. They said "no deductible". Of course, I'm a bit worried about that, but hoping it all goes as they said and that they don't keep our trailer for too long, because we're ready to go again!!

I videoed the "new owner training" and we did well this morning and got out pretty quickly!

Again, thanks for all of the advice, I'm now ready to post some questions about WiFi, however I'll start a new thead for that. Y'all are the BEST!

Julie
If they try to charge for ANY warranty work refuse & call Crossroads customer service immediately & report that crooked dealer then have them recommend a GOOD dealer to do the work.
Also present the list of warranty items with pictures to the dealer (if necessary also to Crossroads), schedule a day/time for them to confirm the items plus make a list of parts to order, then take the rv & use it with the understanding that once ALL parts are in the dealers possession you'll schedule a day/time to drop it off then allow a reasonable amount time to do the work with a day/time to pick it up.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote