Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2021, 08:10 AM   #21
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bowler304
I was in the same boat, bought the trailer, after a few scary mishaps with passing semis my wife told me to get a bigger truck. It makes the entire experience so much better, no white knuckle issues either.

These dealers will tell you all day you are great, no issues, my truck (2011 F150 Ecobeast, 3:73, 4X4 crew cab platinum) I added 10 ply tires, Active Road suspension, weight distribution bars, better brakes, etc... In the end, I ended up in a Gas F250 and life is good.

You have all the answers here but I had a Sunset Trail 390bh and now have a CorssRoads Volante 310BH, and every aspect of the F250 is better. Now we do long 10-hour trips 500 miles with no issues.

Good luck!
Tow Vehicle - 2017 F250 Platinum 6.2 4:30 gear
Travel Trailer - Sunset Trail Super Lite ST290QB
Color : Enzo
Dry Weight 5,774 - Actual weight 6,767
Bowler304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:51 AM   #22
Gone Traveling

Just curious?
Is there a billboard or are mailers sent out stating that F150s are the ultimate towing machine, able tow anything you hitch up to it? Yes, there's a handful of GM & Ram guys trying it, but the majority are F150 owners. Seems this the case in just about every towable rv forum out there, same F150 owners seeking confirmation for towing overweight, "but I added LT tires & airbags so should be good"...... WRONG!
No I'm not a Ford fan, but I wouldn't try to haul a 10k 5th wheel or a long heavy TT with a 1/2 ton of any brand, they ARE NOT capable of "carrying" the weight safely or within the weight limits of the truck. Of course you could "move" either of those RVs with a Ford Ranger or a Tacoma, but just like the 1/2 tons they were not designed for that kind of weight, regardless of what ridiculous max tow weight rating the manufacturer advertises, which in the rv world is meaningless, or anything some slick salesman tells you.
If getting into the rv lifestyle do your homework on your trucks capabilities first. Don't go buy a giant rv before you are certain you've got truck enough to handle it, regardless of truck brand.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:16 AM   #23
New Camper

Thanks again all for the feedback, this blew up a little (I didn't even think you could do a 5th on a 150?). I did already budget for LT tires, got a Blue Ox Trackpro WDH and have been checking out RAS as an option too (those are pretty slick, even without a trailer). I was already on the fence about this trailer prior to the post (hence the question) and after looking at the unit again and soaking in the feedback we decided to go a different direction, getting a toy hauler that's 700 lbs lighter and 2' shorter. We don't plan on hauling any actual toys either or decking it out, so even in a scenario where we completely lose track of weight we'd be ~6500 lbs max. If we're still doing this after a couple of years, we might dive into a 3/4 or 1 ton truck and a new configuration, but this seemed the best balance of living space vs. what the truck I already have can handle. The part I think I'll have to pay attention to the most is getting the tongue weight right, since it won't be hauling the cargo it's designed for, but I'd rather have to move weight than lose it. I have no delusions of flying 70 down the highway either; my impression after this is that 28' can still be a lot of sail for this truck.

The sad part, as you might have guessed, is that it's not a Crossroads. I love the relative lightness of the Sunset Trails, so if we ever look to do a full upgrade I may be back.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback!
colinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:39 AM   #24
Site Team

Hey, just because it's not a Cross Roads doesn't mean you can't hang out here.

(I didn't even think you could do a 5th on a 150?)
Yes, you can do a 5th wheel with some of the new f150's and the our two brands also. Today's 1/2 ton's are not the same as days of old. As some would have you believe. If they are set up right from the factory, their as good (in my opinion) as some of the older 3/4 tons of yesteryear.

Anyway which ever way you choose to go---do it safely, and have fun in your new adventure.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:19 AM   #25
Site Team

Yes Lloyd, 1/2 ton is a misnomer. I've been towing my 5th wheel for 8 years without an issue. This includes going over the Smokey mountains and up and down the east coast.
I did modify the rear suspension and added heavy duty towing rotors and semi-metallic brakes. Get close to 10 miles per gallon. Not bad.
If you go to the Ford Builders web page you can see the dimensions of the frame and size of brakes and rotors.
For those who discount the ability I ask them to check out the specs.
BTW, I don't believe the yellow sticker on the door pillars. Just my opinion.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:21 AM   #26
Weekend Camper

Mark, couldn't agree with you more!
We have pulled our 5r up and down the east coast as well plus a couple trips to see my folks in S. Dakota, all with not one issue. Truck works great, economy is good, ride is terrific, no fear of stopping, ESPECIALLY because I take my time and do not go over 60 mph. Any vehicle out there can go 80, but why? Those big trucks will not stop either.
Slow down, enjoy life.

2019 Cruiser Aire 29Rk & 2017 F250 Lariat 6.7L Diesel 6.75' bed, Anderson Hitch
Max-N-Millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:49 AM   #27
Gone Traveling

Yep! You can "move" it with an F150 (insert any other 1/2 ton)!
2744.jpeg
My son took this a couple weeks ago at a rest area in California.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:04 AM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Yep! You can "move" it with an F150 (insert any other 1/2 ton)!
Attachment 4746
My son took this a couple weeks ago at a rest area in California.
Again that truck has NO EQUALIZER HITCH. And just from a picture you do not know any weights or capacities of the truck or camper. Or what is loaded in the bed of the truck. Also it "looks" like that truck has a lift kit so who knows what the capacity of the "new" rear springs are.

Who knows what the situation was. Perhaps the owner had to move the camper in an emergency - California wild fires - and that is all they had to do it.

We all agree that the "NUMBERS" come from a engineer some where and mean little to nothing. The only true test is a scale and actual numbers on that truck and that camper that that you are going to pull. The numbers are a just guideline.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:34 AM   #29
Site Team

Like Yakherder stated in another thread.
Yakherder
Weekend Camper

Sometimes it is hard to sift through the wheat and the chaff to get the answer you needed but even in the chaff there are always a few kernels that are good to store in your memory for the future.

Old 02-22-2021, 02:00 PM   #30
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post

We all agree that the "NUMBERS" come from a engineer some where and mean little to nothing. The only true test is a scale and actual numbers on that truck and that camper that that you are going to pull. The numbers are a just guideline.
NO! We don't ALL agree the posted numbers on trucks are BS!
I do agree the ONLY way to know for sure about any of the weights is to head to the scales. Even better is to find a Smart Weigh at a rally or somewhere & have every wheel on both truck & rv weighed, hitched & unhitched.
I do agree that engineers came up with those numbers, but hopefully the manufacturer did testing to confirm those numbers & not just blindly post them on a tag & slap it on the truck.
If by chance you have an accident, God forbid, I seriously doubt the lawyers, judges or LEOs are going to consider those numbers BS, but rather if you were/are over ANY of those BS numbers your insurance company is going to be paying through the nose, you'll be shopping for a new insurance provider as you won't be able to afford the current one afterwards & hopefully not have criminal charges filed.
There are lots of newbies buying rvs during the pandemic coming onto different rv/truck forums for advice for everything from maintenance to appropriate tow vehicles & IMHO for those with rv experience to post that the weight numbers posted by vehicle &/or rv manufacturers are hog wash is giving every poor misleading advice.
After 45+ years of rving & towing about every type of trailer with about every type of vehicle this is my .02 worth! It's my story & sticking to it!!!
Old 02-22-2021, 02:35 PM   #31
Site Team

In case nobody has noticed, the OP is long gone and onto a different trailer. So all this arguing about weights and truck size is for not.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:55 PM   #32
Site Team

Hope this weather breaks and warms up soon so we can get off the keyboards and in to the campgrounds.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote