Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2021, 07:16 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

New to RVs, new to the forum. Hello...

Hi all, we just purchased a Sunset Trail Reserve 29SS 2013. Don't even have it yet. Spent 1.5 hours looking through it and the current owner was very helpful to show that all the systems work.

I'll be towing with a 2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 4x4. My dad had it before and put bags in the back, which he says really helps.

When we were going through the inspection when we got there the slide was out. It had been raining pretty hard the previous day. We pulled in the slide, then put it back out. there were a couple of VERY small streaks of water on the floor. Carpets were not wet at all, not even damp. The amount of water would have made about 1/4 of a normal paper towel damp to give you a good idea how much were (not talking about). Our friend with the identical model said they sometimes see it too. Something to worry about?

We pick it up 2 weeks from now - insurance is in progress and truck going for an oil change this week...

I RV'd with my folks when I was a kid, but never owned one myself and am a total noob. My biggest "fears" are backing into campsites, and the black & grey water dumping. I'm sure I'll have questions.

Looking forward to this new adventure in our lives!

cheers.
tiwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:33 AM   #2
Site Team

Hello And Welcome!

Congratulations on your new to you camper!
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:48 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Welcome from Southern Michigan. There's a great bunch of very helpful and knowledgeable folks here.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:57 PM   #4
Site Team

Congratulations! Welcome to the forum! If it was raining when the slide was brought in, the water may have just come from the roof of the slide.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:30 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
Congratulations! Welcome to the forum! If it was raining when the slide was brought in, the water may have just come from the roof of the slide.
Roof of the slide was wet when I climbed up to see - was not actively raining when it was pulled in though. I'll be watching it really closely and will be checking seals etc. as soon as the trailer is actually home..!! cheers
Old 05-11-2021, 11:38 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

If there are no soft spots in the floor you should be just fine with that amount of water. That's a lot of trailer for the truck, most likely not over any limits but you're going to bring it close. I'd definitely plan for some weight distribution hitch with integrated sway control or at least sway control bar. Backup camera is really helpful with your first "fear". Walkie talkies to communicate with your other half while backing up or staying on the phone can be a marriage saver.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:42 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

absolutely - trailer comes with a distribution hitch and sway control... would not consider towing without it. Walkie talkies are a great idea too, thank you! When I was a kid we always relied on hand signals and my dad being really strict about where to stand (and NOT to stand!!).
Old 05-11-2021, 01:28 PM   #8
Site Team

The slide roof may have a small dip/depression that may collect a little water then when you bring in the slide it will run off into the floor. Other than waiting until the roof is completely dry not much you can do other than adding slide toppers.. I have seen people try to blow it off with a battery powered leaf blower.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:50 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Welcome! I find it’s best to back into a site with the site on your drivers side. You will know the width of the site and you can cut it close on your side as you have a clear view. You may need someone outside watching your front end so you won’t hit any trees on a narrow road or take out a poorly placed campsite marker. I’ve been close on the marker!
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:22 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the forum. Important thing to remember when backing is take your time. Don’t rush even if someone is waiting to get by. Important thing to remember about the black and grey tanks. Even when you have full hookup, keep the black tank closed at all times unless your dumping. Then close the grey tank before you open the black tank to dump. Then after you dump the black tank, close it and open the grey back open. Then add some water to the black tank and RV toilet chemicals. I like the packs of powder or bottles of liquid. I don’t like the pod chemicals because they don’t seem to dissolve very well. And use Rv toilet paper because it breaks down quickly. Regular toilet paper takes longer to break down and will cause a clog up in your black tank; (Been there, done that). If you leave the black open all the time the waste from the toilet will pile up and cause a big clog up. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. We were all newbie’s at one time and there’s many years of experience on this forum to help you out.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:28 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Welcome to the forum Tiwing,

Congrats on your new to you camper, I think you're probably going to love it.

Being that the sides of the slide are exposed to the elements, and that once retracted are by definition now 'inside' your cabin, you may find the small amount of water ingress is only what was not 'squeegee'd' off the sides by the slide seals, and therefore nothing to worry about, but check it out thoroughly anyway.

I am one of the few on here by all accounts who tow with a 2015 Tundra Limited, Dbl cab, Std bed, 2 wheel drive. My Zinger 291RL tips the CAT scales at around 8500 lbs fully loaded, just shy of a ton under the rated 10,300 lbs my truck's good for. I use a WD hitch, (which I consider essential) an integrated brake controller, meticulously maintain my tires and brakes, and have had no issues whatsoever.

I do wish that Toyota would bring out a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel as the domestic ones do tend to blow my doors off pulling 16,000 lb 5'ers going uphill through the blue ridge mountains, but since I don't get up there but once in a blue moon I'm really content sticking to the speed limit or thereabouts with what I've got.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 02:32 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Welcome! Glad to have you here. Congrats on the new rig. Let us know whenever you have any questions. Lots of knowledgeable folks here with tons of great resources. Happy camping

Tony & Lynne
Whidbey Island, WA
2021 Sunset Trail SuperLite SS212RB
2019 Ford F-350 FX-4 Crew cab, 6.2L gas
Tonyg2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:58 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Picked up the trailer on this past weekend and towed it home. towed terribly (sway over 95 km/h and twitchy front end on the truck) but because we didn't adjust the hitch height. I think the previous owner prob had it set up all wrong forever... when we compared receiver heights on the trucks they were 1/2" apart. When I followed the height set up procedure I had to drop the ball by nearly 6", which involved flipping the receiver over and lowering the ball. Took it on the highway afterwards and it was rock solid even up to 115 km/h, not that I'll probably ever get there again.

Trailer is super clean once we've spent 2 days going through it. Need slide topper and a new BBQ.... but that's it. Looking forward to our first weekend out 2 weeks from now.

cheers, and thanks for the warm welcome!

Old 05-26-2021, 11:42 AM   #14
Site Team

Sounds like you have everything under control and you're ready to go. Enjoy.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:25 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Glad you took the time to set it up correctly. Good job!

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote