Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2016, 05:30 AM   #1
New Camper

New travel trailer things to get

Hey everyone I just purchased my first travel trailer, a zinger 32sb. I'm not new to camping as I've been camping in a tent for 20 years but i don't have any experience towing a camper, and being that this is my first travel trailer no real experience in stocking it with the necessities. If anyone has any tips or ideas on stocking it up or just general things I should know I would appreciate it. We're looking to make our first outing in three weeks.
RM125KESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:37 AM   #2
New Camper

I guess I should add in the intro it will be myself, my wife, our 2 girls (3 yrs & 1 yr), and the dog that will be using this so any helpful suggestions to make camping more enjoyable for the little ones would be appreciated as well
Old 04-12-2016, 07:46 AM   #3
Site Team

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new rig.
If you go to the document section at the top of the page there a list in there pertaining to what you might be needing.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:51 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

For the dog:

Spare leash (it's a DISASTER when you hit the road and forget the leash).
Food bowl.
Water bowl.
A couple of toys.

For yourself:

Tools. You'll never be sorry for bringing too many tools.
Lug wrench. Surprisingly many new RVs don't come with a lug wrench.

For the family:

Board games. Leave some board games in the RV. When you need them, you really need them.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:10 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

For the dog: bags to collect waste, maybe his or her bed, dog food, treats

We keep a laser thermometer in the truck to check temperature of wheel hubs (works great in the kitchen too).

level for the trailer, if not already installed. We use the one on the front for side to side but I use a regular one inside for front to back.

dumping hose, water hose, extra electrical extension cords, pigtail (for plugging into 15 amp with a 30 amp wire)

we recently bought a surge protector

buy a Valterra valve. Best $20 you will ever spend. Those valves on the gray and black tanks are notorious for not closing properly and this is a cheap solution to the problem. Available on Amazon.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I am sure others will have more suggestions.

One suggestion I can make is to go over everything you have in the trailer once a year and weed out stuff you don't use. Like a house or garage, stuff tends to accumulate but remember, unlike a house or garage, you are hauling it around.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:47 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

An out door mat, folding table, generator, mosquito coils

Enjoy
Old 04-12-2016, 09:23 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I have to disagree about the generator. We have been traveling extensively with our trailer (this one and previous ones) for 10 years now, and have never needed one. We do all kinds of camping: music festivals, winters in Florida, long trips, short trips, weekends, boondocking at Walmart, etc. Generators are expensive, heavy and require a lot of maintenance. Only get one if you really need one.

The really important stuff works on the battery (unless you have a residential fridge), and anything else you can probably do without (like TV, hairdryer, etc.).

Old 04-12-2016, 11:14 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Re generator, depends if you camp at places with hook ups or places without. Most of the parks out here don't have electrical. Some do, most don't. If you can go for 3-4 days on batteries, then you don't need. If you cannot last that long, then you may need one. Really depends on your camping style and locations. We got a Honda for <$900 and felt it was worth it. Will see if we need it this season.

We keep coloring books, camping toys, and spare special camping blankets in the camper. Helped a lot last trip. Our greatest source of misery when camping is the kids.

Agree with the above, we have dedicated basics for the dog item that live in the camper, never forgot. Poop bags. Lots.

Kids first aid kit. Sure for adults might be good, but having one for the kids helps avoid the drama of an ouchie. Mine are 2 and 4, we have a lot of sympathy injuries.

Guard to keep kids from rolling out of bunk bed. I have a gate so when dogs need to take a break and be away from people, I can put them in the bunk house, but they can still see us. Mine are "medium" sized and both younger.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:00 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Bring some 2x6's about 12" long to put under tires to level,batteries for flashlights etc,make sure you know how to change a flat tire ( proper socket that fits rim and a 4 way or tire wrench),jack ,matches for campfires...keep some inside so they are dry.,dedicated beach towels and blanket as they will have sand and lotion on them. beach umbrella, hammock , fireside chairs. old piece of carpet for puppy to lay on outside. old towels to dry pups paws...

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:13 PM   #10
New Camper

Thanks a lot for all the advice. I'm starting to really like this site already
Old 04-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #11
Site Team

Congratulations! Welcome to the forum!

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:00 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM125KESS View Post
Thanks a lot for all the advice. I'm starting to really like this site already
Like.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:51 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Welcome to the forum and safe travels. I would suggest that you bring basic necessities for the family including the pooch.

Unlike days of old before superstores we are rarely far from inexpensive items that we really need immediately. I would suggest not loading up on a bunch of stuff that you may or may not need and make a list of things you come across through the weekend that you find you could use. Other than that, human basic needs, shelter you have, pack food, bathing suit, t-shirts, appropriate outerwear, maybe rain jackets. Even if you forget rain jackets, trash bags with a head and arm holes work wonders.

Just my two cents. It's easy to fall into the trap of bringing too much that you will never use. Every time my wife and I have traded RV's we are amazed at the stuff we find and never knew we had.......

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:50 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

I keep lists of stuff which we us in the trailer. I have a list of stuff that stays there like sugar, pasta, spices, toothpaste, etc. I refer to that list when I check my stock and top up where needed. Another list is for stuff we bring every time we go away, like perishable food items, clothing, etc. Both lists are dynamic, meaning I update them as needed. I keep them on my iPad in PDF format and check items off as I go through them. I also have a hitching up check list which I check off as we get ready to move.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:47 AM   #15
Gone Traveling

Load up all the fun & excitement you can pack in there along with some food & clothing & have a great time, all the rest will work out in time.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:07 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Load up all the fun & excitement you can pack in there along with some food & clothing & have a great time, all the rest will work out in time.

Now there is the best advise yet.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:57 AM   #17
Family Vacation Member

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the purchase!

Just keep in mind that all of the gadgets, dohickeys, and thing-a-ma-bobs are not the most important things. The most important things we have found to bring along is a good attitude (because SOMETHING is going to go wrong), card/board games for rainy nights, a good camera for recording all of the memories, and an appreciation for the beauty that can be found in nature all around North America.

Have fun and good luck!
Old 04-14-2016, 11:26 AM   #18
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFun View Post
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the purchase!

Just keep in mind that all of the gadgets, dohickeys, and thing-a-ma-bobs are not the most important things. The most important things we have found to bring along is a good attitude (because SOMETHING is going to go wrong), card/board games for rainy nights, a good camera for recording all of the memories, and an appreciation for the beauty that can be found in nature all around North America.

Have fun and good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I definitely found with tent camping few things ever go as planned and to try and take it in stride
Old 04-14-2016, 01:31 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

Try this:

The Mother of all RV Checklist Lists... - Hit the Road RVing!
matherne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:12 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

Thanks for this great thread, lots of very good advice in here!