Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #21
Weekend Camper

X2 on what Darrell said - take your time. We try to keep it right around 60 - the tires are not rated for over that - so better safe than sorry. Remember, when you're camping in your "hotel on wheels" you are on vacation! Happy Camping!!
Edge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:42 AM   #22
Weekend Camper

Thanks Tim and Darrell,

We are looking into purchasing the stabilizers and the step stabilizer too. We purchased our Ram to tow a 18.6 foot Triton boat so we got the one with the tow mode option factory installed, it takes care of the transmission thing (at least we hope so, it did with the boat). We will be camping within a couple of hours from home so if the loads start to get too heavy we are planning to take a second vehicle. We are picking it up from the dealer tomorrow and thanks to all of you and this forum I have a legal pad full of questions for the poor guy showing us the ins and outs. I know I will know I'll miss something but I have a good start. Oh about the breaks the dealer is installing some kind of electric break system on the truck so maybe that will handle the stopping problem. I can hardly wait, let's go camping!!!!!
Mr. T and Ms. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #23
Weekend Camper

sorry I used the wrong brake in my last post
Old 07-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #24
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to st.rodder2 Send a message via MSN to st.rodder2 Send a message via Yahoo to st.rodder2
Congrats on the new trailer. Enjoy the great experiences of camping.

2015 Sunset Trail SF32RL
2012 Ford F250SD CC 4X4 - 6.7 Powerstroke

st.rodder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #25
Family Vacation Member

Let us know how made out after your first weekend!!!!
When camping - "Beer is the answer, what was the question?".......

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #26
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Let us know how made out after your first weekend!!!!
When camping - "Beer is the answer, what was the question?".......
I'm sorry What?

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #27
Family Vacation Member

Are you asking a camping question? The answer is: beer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
I'm sorry What?

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #28
Full Time Camper

For your brake controller, tell them you want a proportional brake controller, not a time based (time delay) brake controller.

In addition to beer (or hard cider) bring the answer to the questions, you must remember to bring your sense of humor. It is not a question of if you will make a mistake. It us a question of when, what and how bad was it? You must then learn to laugh at that mistake. We all will, mostly because we can guarantee, no matter how silly, stupid or how bad it was, someone has done the same error before. Also, the ultimate camping entertainment us watching people back in and set up camp once there grab a beer and watch the others do it.

Oh and a nice little tip... get walkie talkies to communicate for backing the trailer instead of yelling or hand signals. It will be much quieter and easier. Especially if you use driver's side and passenger's side instead of left and right. Ie spotter says tree 3 feet back drivers side. This tells driver what and where the obstacle is so they can adjust. Remember this tt won't correct (or Jackie) as quickly as the boat. Practice maneuvering and backing in an empty parking lot on your way home. (We will be going thru the same process when we pick up our new 5er on Sat!)

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:16 AM   #29
Full Time Camper

Welcome and enjoy your new RV.

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:50 AM   #30
Weekend Camper

Hey all,
We picked up the TT yesterday and the Ram 1500 pulled it just fine. I took a lot of what will be packied into it and put it inside so we could find out how it would pull with load. No problems. We pulled at about 60-64 and my husband had to learn that we could not pass everyone on the road but after that all settled down. And Arano we are going to get the walkie talkies so we won't end up killing each other especially when he backs it into our storage area. If anyone could have hear us yesterday while he was trying to back it in they would have called the cops lol. Well it wasn't quite that bad but this was the first time with a TT so it will take some time practice. Next challenge: me directing him to the trailer hitch in less than 100 tries. Can't wait!! Happy Trails, oh yeah there will be plenty of beer.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:44 AM   #31
Full Time Camper

The other thing is use your cell phones Put the drivers on speaker and lay it on the center consul . I have U connect in my truck, and love it. You can get a blue tooth speaker from Amazon also
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #32
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T and Ms. B View Post
And Arano we are going to get the walkie talkies so we won't end up killing each other especially when he backs it into our storage area. If anyone could have hear us yesterday while he was trying to back it in they would have called the cops lol. .... Can't wait!! Happy Trails, oh yeah there will be plenty of beer.
Too funny -
that's a rite of passage for us all -
the near divorce proceedings right after the first backup 'relationship'

we do the cells too and with bluetooth on the truck it's hands free - but you will learn it gets easier as HE learns what SHE really meant

we finally decided if I don't hear anything (even 4 letter words) for more than a second, I assume that means STOP so I don't take down the pedestal or the picnic table!

oh, and the beer AFTERWARDS is usually wise
Old 07-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #33
Weekend Camper

I sometimes think HE does not listen to SHE. I think you guys have a pact, blame the wife.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #34
Full Time Camper

Chuckle - all in fun !
Old 07-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #35
Weekend Camper

I know about the poking fun. Without the ability to laugh at ourselves we would be in trouble. All I can say is life is always an adventure. Oh and my will get to be the luck one helping his dad back into the campside. It will be nice to hear someone else get yelled at, lol.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #36
Weekend Camper

I should have said my son will be helping his dad.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:23 AM   #37
Full Time Camper

If you have a back up camera on the truck, then hitching up is a breeze. If not, you can always install one.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #38
Full Time Camper

We use walkie talkies for backing up. Got the idea from our friends in Ohio and it works great.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote