Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2022, 02:47 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Purchased Sunset Trail 253RB

I took delivery on 5-7-2022 of a 2022 Sunset Trail 253RB. I purchased the trailer from Family RV Center in Sweetwater, TX. The dealer is 1010 miles from my house. After shopping out West I found Family RV Center. I called them, and spoke with salesman Zach. I asked for a price on the trailer, plus two 190W solar panels, a 30A charge controller, a 2000W Inverter, and two AGM batteries. I was quoted a very reasonable price, compared to other dealers in AZ and NV. I calculated what it would cost me to drive 2020 miles to pick up the trailer. I told Zach that figuring in the cost to pick up the trailer, it wasn't worth the expense. Zach said he wanted my business. After speaking with the owner, Zach quoted me a price whereby he'd deliver the trailer to my house. The price he quoted was ~$10k less than the closest dealer to my house. I told Zach to ship me the trailer. Not only did Zach bend over backwards to get my business, and satisfy me, the delivery driver (Kilan) was probably the most professional and respectful person I've met lately. Kilan made sure he delivered my trailer at the specific day and hour I requested. He was right on time! He was clearly from Texas since he had polite manners, had an accent, and wore a cowboy hat. When he entered my house he took off his hat. When do you see that these days! He called me sir, and my wife mam.

If you are looking for a new trailer, call Zach.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:11 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

It’s nice when things work out for the good. Congrats on the new unit.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 06:26 AM   #3
Site Team

Congratulations on the new camper..

That's great everything went smooth for you and will hopefully will in the future.

It is good to see someone have a good experience these days.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 04:08 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Pictures?

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 04:29 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Pictures?

https://www.crossroadsowners.com/for...albums311.html
Old 05-10-2022, 03:27 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Congratulations on the new rig.
Wow, that's great service. And they still had to make money on the deal, you can only imagine the mark up and profit margin on these new rv's.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:24 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quality, Fit & Finish

After having my new 253RB for a week, and a chance to thoroughly inspect it, in my opinion the quality, fit and finish of my new 253RB is terrible. First, as I discussed on another Thread is the lack of power going to the backup camera connector. Thirty seconds for the factory to connect the camera wire to power; 2 hours for me to make the connection. Second, the TV mount is installed at an angle. The TV sits crooked inside the cabinet. Third, the reclining sofa doesn't recline fully because it was installed too close to the back wall. I had to unscrew it, move it forward, and resecure it. Fourth, the paneling next to the storage closet by the entrance door has all the staples showing. The trim strip is full of air bubbles as well. There are wide gaps at the corners. The whole thing looks terrible. First impression when someone enters the trailer! Fifth, the AC outlet next to the kitchen sink is installed at an angle. It was an easy fix, however a sign of lack of quality. Sixth, the shower leaks below the fixed glass panels where the panels meet the shower walls. Seventh, the plumbing connecters to the sink faucet weren't tight, and leaked. Eighth, the TV remote control doesn't work. Nineth, plumbing pipes that pass-through cabinet openings are not protected from chaffing. The plywood holes have rough-cut edges, and eventually will chaff the plastic pipes. Tenth, there is sawdust everywhere such as underneath the shower, the furnace, the Power Panel, etc. Doesn't Cross Roads own a vacuum?

If I had to do it again, I would not purchase a Cross Roads travel trailer. My Venture Stratus had better quality, fit and finish.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:15 AM   #8
Site Team

Just my opinion. Buying in person so you can do a thorough Pre Delivery Inspection in this day and age is the only way to go. We bought a camper from a dealer in Indiana and we are in Missouri. They have a second dealership in Iowa where it was delivered to so we could inspect it before finalizing the deal.

The fit and finish problems could have been addressed before you took possession.

The sawdust is just a part of the production process. Every camper i have had has has some construction trash in it somewhere. Could it have been better -- Yes. Our Seville is 13 years old and there was some in the underbelly And also behind the wall in the basement.

As to the plumbing the dealer should have caught that before you took possession but probably figured you are several states away so ship it -- Truth be known they may have not have even did any dealers prep.

Hopefully you can take it to a local dealer to have your concerns addressed/fixed.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:30 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
Just my opinion. Buying in person so you can do a thorough Pre Delivery Inspection in this day and age is the only way to go. We bought a camper from a dealer in Indiana and we are in Missouri. They have a second dealership in Iowa where it was delivered to so we could inspect it before finalizing the deal.

The fit and finish problems could have been addressed before you took possession.

The sawdust is just a part of the production process. Every camper i have had has has some construction trash in it somewhere. Could it have been better -- Yes. Our Seville is 13 years old and there was some in the underbelly And also behind the wall in the basement.

As to the plumbing the dealer should have caught that before you took possession but probably figured you are several states away so ship it -- Truth be known they may have not have even did any dealers prep.

Hopefully you can take it to a local dealer to have your concerns addressed/fixed.
I don't blame the dealer for any of the issues. Quality can't be inspected in! I blame Cross Roads! The dealer did a pressure test, however it wasn't until I was fixing the chaffing issue with the sink plumbing pipes did a small drop of water come from the sink faucet connection. Over time, and vibration the connection would have leaked. I tightened the connection. Even with a pressure test, and me connecting water pressure, the leak wasn't obvious. The manufacturer should have tightened the connections. With the exception of the staples showing, I have fixed all the issues.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:00 AM   #10
Site Team

You are correct "Quality cant be inspected in" That is why the dealer is supposed to do there dealer prep. To catch everything that the factory missed and address the customers concerns.

A few years back we toured the Redwood factory and seen first hand how they are built on the same trip we toured a Forest river plant and they all use the same manufacturing process/testing. Two different companies and different price points but built with the same process.

One thing I have learned is they require constant attention/maintenance. Someone once said it would be like dragging your house down a railroad track during a hurricane and a earthquake. Just a example -- Went camping over the weekend and on the road to the park there is a railroad crossing. The trailer we were following bounced over it and you could see under the tires. Then probably will complain later that it is a piece of junk and falling apart.

I wish you the best of luck with your camper.
Old 05-16-2022, 11:05 AM   #11
Site Team

If you can find a brand that does not have any issues, congratulations. If you check the forum for other brands you will find the same constant complaints.
Unlike cars, the quality control does not exist in the rv industry.
You have to become your own repair person when you buy an rv, and that's a fact.
Good luck with your rv.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:11 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Good luck with your new camper. I had a 2013 Zinger ZT260BH and the only issue I had was the wiring burnt to the HWT. I went to another brand last year and furnace didn’t work properly. Turns out the cutouts were not removed to the ductwork. Kitchen tap didn’t flow very good so I took it apart. Chunks of plastic from plumbing install plugged the tap screen. And now decals on the front cap are appealing and not in a good way lol. We all hope we got a good one but it’s just not the case.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote