Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2021, 07:31 AM   #1
New Camper

RV Newbie!

Hi Everyone!

My husband and I are brand new to RVing! I just purchased a 2021 Sunset Trail 257FK. We are hoping to book our first camping trip for next weekend and already have my first question.

Our trailer is a 30amp but because we are so late in booking a campsite the best I can find is 15amp sites. My question is.. Will a 15amp run the AC in our unit? We are also planning on purchasing a solar panel, will that help? Our sales person said we can not run the AC using propane, is that accurate? It will only be the 2 of us in the trailer.

Any other tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated! We have no idea what the heck we are doing!!
juliew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:10 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Hi, congrats on the purchase.

- will your AC start on 15A service? - Most likely not although not impossible, I wouldn't try to do it. 15,000 BTU A/C will need about 13-15A to just run and about 22-25A to start. If the breaker on your campsite is oversized it may allow for it but even then just running A/C will be already bringing that infrastructure to stress. When pushing electrical components they get hot, start to pose fire risk & short risk. Also, keep in mind that's only A/C. You will have also your converter charging your batteries after the slides were extended (typically up to 6A), lights, radio, TV, your electronics charging - all that also adds up. If your RV has 50A service I'd say you have 99.9% guarantee it won't start.
- Solar panels provide 12V, A/C takes 110V - unless you have installed an inverter they will make no difference. Solar panels are good to keep the batteries charged, if installed on the roof they also slightly limit the amount of heat absorbed by the RV.
- The only way to run A/C on propane is to have generator that runs on propane. A/C runs on electricity only.

TIP: If you decide to go the generator route you can either buy one that is 3000-4000W range or two smaller ones (1500-2200W range), connect them in parallel to start your A/C and run only one of them afterwards. Most generator manufacturers sell now proper adapters to do that. Smaller generator takes much less fuel.
TIP2: If you decide to go the generator route most parks have limited hours when these can be run.
Old 07-13-2021, 11:11 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Welcome to the forum. I agree I wouldn’t try with 15A. I prefer the smaller generators. I have two Honda 2000’s with a parallel kit. Easier to lift one at a time and like said if running lights or charging your batteries you only need to run one. But would need both if running a air conditioner.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 02:01 PM   #4
Site Team

I have a pair of the Honda i2000 generators that I use when camping at race tracks. They work great for my 30 amp camper.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:04 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Not much more to add but I picked up a pair of Firman 2100 watt inverter generators and a 50 amp parallel kit as my camper is 50 amp. They do have a 30 amp parallel kit too. They are quiet but may not be a quiet as a Honda. Still way quieter than the open frame generators.
This year has been a struggle to find electrical sites. I don’t think it will get better anytime soon either. This is the reason I bought the generators.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:07 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I don’t know about the new generators but if you use a EMS (Electrical Management System) surge protector. You might have to make a neutral ground plug so the generators don’t tell the EMS that’s their no ground and shut off the power through the EMS.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote