Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 08:24 AM   #21
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Re-read post #11!!
I'm not making this up! We full-timed for over 10 years, towed 5th wheels approximately 150k miles in those years, so I have a bit of experience!!!
Using the numbers posted on your trucks drivers door you'll find all the correct numbers for YOUR truck to make proper calculations. You WILL NOT find the max tow rating listed there.
Other than the sales brochures you WILL NOT find the dry weight of YOUR rv posted on it anywhere. You WILL find the GVWR posted on the rv, use this number to calculate with.
You WILL find max axle weights & the payload on the truck door post. Typically the listed payload includes a 150lb driver & a full tank of fuel.
Do your own calculations, don't take anyone else's word that "you'll be fine as long as not in the hills". Don't tell yourself "we only travel light, don't haul water & only traveling XX miles!", eventually, most likely sooner than later, you will have done them all.
Hopefully you can make a good safe decision!
The dry weight of my RV is the weight that it left Sunset Trail trail warehouse at -- it is specific to my RV. Our dealer didn't add anything except the liquid protane and a battery which I've factored in below.

Okay, now let me try this again for my own sanity. Ha!

Payload = 1645 (including 1 driver and full tank of fuel)
- SUBTRACT: 722lbsa hitch weight
- SUBTRACT: 100lbs WD bar
- SUBTRACT: 195lbs (wife, kid, dog)

Remaining payload = 628lbs

RV GVWR: 7600
- dry weight 5752

CCC = 1848lbs

TV hitch weight max = 940lbs
RV hitch weight = 722lbs

Remaining hitch weight = 218lbs

Now, some hypotheticals. If I take the cargo numbers from my earlier post, we can factor 592lbs of cargo -- let's call it 600lbs -- and then add another 250lbs of "extra stuff" we might throw in. That puts our cargo weight at 850lbs.

RV dry weight = 5752lbs
+ ADD cargo estimate = 850lbs
TOTAL TOWING WEIGHT: 6602lbs

RV GVWR = 7600lbs
- SUBTRACT total towing weight 6602lbs
Remaining cargo weight = 998lbs

Truck tow rating: 9300lbs
- Total towing weight 6602lbs
Remaining towing capacity = 2698lbs

Truck GCWR: 15000lbs
- SUBTRACT estimated payload 1017lbs
- SUBTRACT total towing weight 6602lbs
- SUBTRACT truck curb weight 5355lbs
Remaining GCWR = 2026lbs

Someone please jump in if I'm missing something here. I think, right now, the things that concerns me are the hitch weight and the 2026lbs of remaining GCWR. I just don't know if it's normal to be that "close" or if that's even "close" but I guess it's subjective. This is where my inexperience comes in.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:30 AM   #22
Site Team

I think you look good. If your hitch is properly adjusted it will "distribute" weight between the front and rear axles on the truck and the camper axles. As long as you are under the GCWR your good.

Just for reference my truck GCWR is 18000 my scale ticket says 17670. That is loaded if we were going on a weeks vacation and 2 rows of firewood in the truck bed. My set up pulls very good. Yes it looses a little speed on big hills but i am in no hurry.

That said this is MY SETUP yours will be different!

Also my Cruiser has a label on the backside of one of the kitchen cabinet doors that list its factory weight.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:34 AM   #23
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
I think you look good. If your hitch is properly adjusted it will "distribute" weight between the front and rear axles on the truck and the camper axles. As long as you are under the GCWR your good.

Just for reference my truck GCWR is 18000 my scale ticket says 17670. That is loaded if we were going on a weeks vacation and 2 rows of firewood in the truck bed. My set up pulls very good. Yes it looses a little speed on big hills but i am in no hurry.

That said this is MY SETUP yours will be different!

Also my Cruiser has a label on the backside of one of the kitchen cabinet doors that list its factory weight.
This helps - thank you! What do you use for a tow vehicle? And regarding WD bar, does this mean that it will reduce some of that hitch weight?

I would love more of these points of reference from more forum members. It helps me to understand what’s typical for folks who tow on the regular.
Old 04-06-2021, 05:07 PM   #24
Site Team

I have a 08 GMC 2500hd gas for now. My rig is in my signature. I have a 5th wheel and that is a different principle as i carry the weight over or slightly in front of the rear axle. As for a weight distribution hitch when properly adjusted it will transfer/distribute weight from the rear of the truck to the front axle and also back to the trailer axles. Just google Weight Distribution Hitches and there some very good explanation's of how they work.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:43 AM   #25
Weekend Camper

Sounds like you should go buy a bigger truck...
Old 04-07-2021, 05:41 AM   #26
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOPO View Post
Sounds like you should go buy a bigger truck...
I’m struggling to appreciate your response when it comes without any context. Not very helpful.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:41 AM   #27
Gone Traveling

I'll say this, then I'm done!
If, God forbid, you're in an accident there's 2 numbers the LEO will look for;
#1 hell open door of your truck & get all those numbers.
#2 he'll look at the manufacturer tag on the rv front corner.
He WILL NOT ask you where the dry weight is listed nor the tow rating of your truck, he could care less about both these.
Sorry this seems so complicated, it's really not if the proper numbers are used..
Good luck & safe travels!
Old 04-07-2021, 08:56 AM   #28
Site Team

As the O P has started another thread with the tow rating question before things get out of hand here i am closing this thread. PLEASE try to provide helpful information - trying to scare someone with what ifs to your way of thinking is not helpful.
Closed Thread