Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2017, 09:17 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

2017 Season, when do you start?

I know you people in the south never really have to stop, but what about the rest?

For us, Feb is the big scheduling month for the year if we are planning and making reservations. Since we generally do short trips, we don't leave Colorado. And because of weather, late May is usually our first trip. Perhaps I look at early weekends in NM or KS and see if we can do earlier trips, but for a 3-4 day trip, I don't like to commit 6-8 hours in drive time.

I am still trying to resolve the big trip and if we can make it to Yellowstone (and reservations) for July-ish.

This will be our second year with the hardside, so perhaps we can expand into colder weather somewhat but last year was a really good year due to the new camper and now I am chomping at the bit to go. Too bad we are in the middle of winter.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Totally agree with you concerning start up season. We are in Longmont area and usually head North to Red Feather, Gould, Walden for camping. May-June is when we have started past 2 years since owning our first RV and stopped first weekend of October. Boy we could have camped a lot longer with the way the end of last year went weather wise, it was gorgeous. Last spring our first run was Mid-June unfortunately but we are wanting to start early May depending on snow pack. We stay within 4 hours drive time. Going to make a point of getting more trips in..
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Towed the Fox Mountain from Colorado to Catalina State Park in Tucson last November for what ended up to be the whole month as my solo last hurrah to the 2016 season. Great weather and great experience. Decided to store the trailer there instead of hauling back to Colorado and am leaving next week to get it as I'm due in Borrego Springs, CA on Feb. 5th. for a week, then back to AZ for another 3-4 weeks. Will be a nice winter break as it's been the snowiest January in Breckenridge for the last 100 years and I'm tired of shoveling. There'll be payback in March when I get back home, but then Joyce and I'll leave in April for 8-10 weeks and return home in June after the spring thaw has done its thing here at 11,000 feet in the High Country. C'mon Wednesday!

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:17 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Live in NC and we generally start in April. Start off with two weeks at the beach at OBX. Then weekend camp until October then we hit the OBX for two more weeks of fishing and shelling for the final camping trip.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

We start our season around Memorial Day weekend most years. With 3 school aged kids it's hard to do anything earlier as the end of year can be so hectic.

With that being said, I started making reservations last week for our summer trips. Realized I was kind of late for one of them (Custer State Park in SD, they take reservations a year in advance so our options were limited, but still managed to get a week in for August). We usually do one week long trip and then try to get 3 or 4 long weekend trips in that keep us in Colorado. This year we have Maroon Bells area, and Colorado National Monument on our list of must-see.
COCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:55 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCamping View Post
We start our season around Memorial Day weekend most years. With 3 school aged kids it's hard to do anything earlier as the end of year can be so hectic.
We try to avoid the actual Memorial day weekend due to the flood of people, but it really kind of is the unofficial season opener.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Live in NC and we generally start in April. Start off with two weeks at the beach at OBX. Then weekend camp until October then we hit the OBX for two more weeks of fishing and shelling for the final camping trip.
Must be nice, most of the ski resorts close in April!!!!! I do miss the longer season being in the SE. Shoot, with the hardside, I'd likely go year round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphrider View Post
Boy we could have camped a lot longer with the way the end of last year went weather wise, it was gorgeous. Last spring our first run was Mid-June unfortunately but we are wanting to start early May depending on snow pack. We stay within 4 hours drive time. Going to make a point of getting more trips in..
Yes on end of season. We sort of have a hard stop due to my wife's work schedule. I can't take the kids solo yet, they are too young for 1 person to juggle everything. My drive time is 2 fold, 4 hours due to kids tolerance and to get more little trips in.