Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2015, 08:34 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Campgrounds near Atlanta

Looking at a possible spring break trip south. Trying to mix it with some other things we got to do around Atlanta. Any recommendations?

Willing to drive a couple hours (ha.. thats 3 miles moving thru Atlanta!) to be out a bit in a quiet rural-like setting.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:44 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

This may be a stretch for you, but this was a great little park about an hour southeast of Atlanta...
L & D RV Park - Forsyth, GA - RV Park Reviews

I will say we just stopped over one night, but what a nice setting and our big rv had no trouble getting into there !
Old 03-09-2015, 03:00 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Try Georgia State Parks News and Events. Alot to do and see, wether in N. Ga. or South.
weaselz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:05 PM   #4
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
Looking at a possible spring break trip south. Trying to mix it with some other things we got to do around Atlanta. Any recommendations?

Willing to drive a couple hours (ha.. thats 3 miles moving thru Atlanta!) to be out a bit in a quiet rural-like setting.
We were in Atlanta a couple of months ago at Stone Mountain Park. Great campground, woods with views of the lake and Stone Mountain from some sites. Nice golf course in the park, hiking trails, fishing, about 40 minutes to downtown Atlanta.
frisbyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:36 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Thanks everyone!

frisbyh, Looks like Stone Mountain is close to where we may be going..and the campgrounds in Forsyth and the state ones look promising too

Old 03-10-2015, 07:20 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

In that area, Ft. Yargo State Park is very nice. Bring your fishing rod!
weaselz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:39 PM   #7
New Camper

We always stay at Allatoona Landing on our way to Florida. It's a great place but does have trains that come through at night.
catmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:39 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbyh View Post
We were in Atlanta a couple of months ago at Stone Mountain Park. Great campground, woods with views of the lake and Stone Mountain from some sites. Nice golf course in the park, hiking trails, fishing, about 40 minutes to downtown Atlanta.
We also stayed at Stone Mountain and loved it. Comparable to Fort Wilderness in Disney. Not as nice but a close 2nd.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:51 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
We also stayed at Stone Mountain and loved it. Comparable to Fort Wilderness in Disney. Not as nice but a close 2nd.

Is the area safe? I looked up the area and found 3 shootings in the last 2 days..

Old 03-15-2015, 10:28 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Is the area safe? I looked up the area and found 3 shootings in the last 2 days..
We stayed there for 3 days last June. We loved it. The area outside the gate is a little "economically depressed," so don't wait until your final approach to gas up. We did, but the neighborhood was not where you'd want to be at night. Once inside the park, you're fine. Just like Graceland.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:27 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Mark I'm going to be honest. When we were there we did not leave the park. But the day we left to go home I went to get fuel in the area and I did not feel safe. To put things in perspective I grew up in Miami, Fl and have spent my fare share of time in some rough neighborhoods.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:38 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Thanks for the honest feedback. I'd rather camp a few hours away anyways. Only visiting the city one day.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

We had a great time with are kids at the Aquarium, Coke museum and Stone Mountain.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:51 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

This may open a can of worms, but it's sad to see people avoid great places because of the surrounding neighborhoods. This week my wife swam with the dolphins at Miami Seaquarium. Pulling a 25 ft TT through the city of Miami (on a Friday at 5pm!) was daunting. But, depending on state law, you can have a gun in the console. Georgia, like many southern states, allows that with or without a concealed carry permit. The car is considered your domicile. To many people, we are considered wealthy, just based on our vehicles alone. Many of us have gray hair, and might be perceived as an easy prey. Maintain a steely demeanor and be prepared.
Dalzell SC
Old 03-20-2015, 06:12 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
This may open a can of worms, but it's sad to see people avoid great places because of the surrounding neighborhoods. This week my wife swam with the dolphins at Miami Seaquarium. Pulling a 25 ft TT through the city of Miami (on a Friday at 5pm!) was daunting. But, depending on state law, you can have a gun in the console. Georgia, like many southern states, allows that with or without a concealed carry permit. The car is considered your domicile. To many people, we are considered wealthy, just based on our vehicles alone. Many of us have gray hair, and might be perceived as an easy prey. Maintain a steely demeanor and be prepared.

Stay safe my friend. If I need to brandish a sidearm to take my family camping, than I'm passing. That's just me though. I work in a metro area and need my steely demeaner daily. I camp to get away from that for a few days.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:40 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Stay safe my friend. If I need to brandish a sidearm to take my family camping, than I'm passing. That's just me though. I work in a metro area and need my steely demeaner daily. I camp to get away from that for a few days.
I agree Mark. If you plan on carrying a gun I suggest that you do possess your concealed carry license/permit. You should also research USA Carry and make yourself familiar with the state laws you are traveling thru. Your car is not considered your domicile. Your RV is in most states when parked is, same as a motel for night. Leave that TT and you are no longer covered unless your CCL is valid where you are. As an example, drive thru IL WITH a CCL from any state, you may drive on thru and no problem. Don't have a CCL with reciprocity and get out with your carry gun you are in trouble. No CCL and a loaded gun in vehicle you are in trouble. Know the rules.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:38 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
I agree Mark. If you plan on carrying a gun I suggest that you do possess your concealed carry license/permit. You should also research USA Carry and make yourself familiar with the state laws you are traveling thru. Your car is not considered your domicile. Your RV is in most states when parked is, same as a motel for night. Leave that TT and you are no longer covered unless your CCL is valid where you are. As an example, drive thru IL WITH a CCL from any state, you may drive on thru and no problem. Don't have a CCL with reciprocity and get out with your carry gun you are in trouble. No CCL and a loaded gun in vehicle you are in trouble. Know the rules.
Tim, I avoided getting into the "rules" for brevity. Believe me, I know, as a Life Member of the NRA, and whose licenses are valid in every state except for IL, CA, and a few northeastern liberal states. But you are wrong about SC and GA. In our states, every legal gun owner is allowed to have a loaded gun in their glove compartment, regardless of CCL. I'm not talking about "walking around." And unlike Mark inferred, it is ALWAYS illegal to "brandish" a weapon.
My whole point is that we do not have to cower and avoid. We have a Constitutional right to defend ourselves with guns. And a right to pursue our happiness where and when we want, legally. If you retreat from the signs of danger, you deny yourself the ability to visit The St Louis Arch, Graceland, Stone Mountain, and many other places that are located in areas of blight.
So travel where you may, stay safe, and always legal. But do not avoid the richness of this fine country because you fear the devils.
Dalzell SC
Old 03-21-2015, 07:48 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
Tim, I avoided getting into the "rules" for brevity. Believe me, I know, as a Life Member of the NRA, and whose licenses are valid in every state except for IL, CA, and a few northeastern liberal states. But you are wrong about SC and GA. In our states, every legal gun owner is allowed to have a loaded gun in their glove compartment, regardless of CCL. I'm not talking about "walking around." And unlike Mark inferred, it is ALWAYS illegal to "brandish" a weapon.
My whole point is that we do not have to cower and avoid. We have a Constitutional right to defend ourselves with guns. And a right to pursue our happiness where and when we want, legally. If you retreat from the signs of danger, you deny yourself the ability to visit The St Louis Arch, Graceland, Stone Mountain, and many other places that are located in areas of blight.
So travel where you may, stay safe, and always legal. But do not avoid the richness of this fine country because you fear the devils.
Marty, Did not mean to call you out personally. I had actually just been apart of several conversations regarding CCL. I think the term "brandishing" triggered the response. My main intent was to impress on folks was to know the law where you travel, not that you were wrong about the laws in GA. Otherwise, I agree completely and will get off my horse.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:55 AM   #19
Site Team

This has gotten totally off the topic the op started it as, and I can see it becoming a passionate issue.
If you guys would like to continue on conceal carry I can move your posts to a new thread. Otherwise, lets stay with the original topic.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:42 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
This has gotten totally off the topic the op started it as, and I can see it becoming a passionate issue.
If you guys would like to continue on conceal carry I can move your posts to a new thread. Otherwise, lets stay with the original topic.
To get this thread back on topic. I posted that we didn't leave the park. That was incorrect. We spent the day in Atlanta at the Aquarium and the Coca Cola Museum. We had a great time there the city offers packages called City Pass. No matter where you stay enjoy Atlanta. The campground at Stone Mountain is a great place. Enjoy!