Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

We are planning for a 2013 camping trip to Assateague State Park in Md in July just prior to the 2013 Rally in Ind. wondering if anyone has been there what site they liked ? Pro & Con of camping there> I do know there is alot to do & see. we will be traveling fromthe chicagoland area& routes you liked or disliked? Karen Larry
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

It been years since we were there but what I do remember is that we were camped right on the waters edge and that the kids could walk to the dock. We also went to the NOAA site nearby and took a tour. The kids got to run the big dish.

Like I said, it's been years (maybe 25 or so).

2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:02 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I tried to gert reservation for this state park for the last weekend of July 2013. the oneloop that has electric is booked and the rest of the loops a camper would have to have a generator. That leaves us out!!!. So we will have to look more into Williamsburg area and do a day run to the National Assateague lands to see the ponies run. If you have any further information on this area that would help us in our planning that woul be great. How was the mountain range you went throught to get there?? elevation as well!

Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:04 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

We're headed to Williamsburg in the near term but not camping.

On that trip we were towing with a '82 Suburban (6.2L Diesel) and a 26' bumper pull bunkhouse. I don't remember having any issues with the mountains. I think we went over on I-64 at least part way. Coming back was a bit interesting. We got caught on a blocked road due to an overnight landslide.

The same trip we got into a major storm near Williamsburg but no damage to us. There were trees down nearby and windows out. We went from there through the Bridge/Tunnel and up the Eastern shore to Assateague, then across DC to a campground near Quantico (yep, I did tow across DC).

From there we went to Gettysburg and participated in another rainstorm. No probs with our rig but the guy across from us had a major issue with his awning. We didn't see it until it was really full of water. He was gone so a bunch of us in the campground bailed the water and then tilted his awning.

Good luck on the Williamsburg reservations. That is a neat place to go. We're going to be there 9 days so it should be fun.

Edited by: WoodcarvingGypsy
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote