Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2019, 08:24 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Exclamation Camping at Lake Superior…..how bad are the bugs this time of year?

The family and I are taking our camping up to Munising Tourist Park Campground on Lake Superior….close to Pictured Rock State Park.

Has anyone camped up around that area during this time of year? Some of the reviews I’ve seen online say that the bugs can get really bad……I’m just trying to figure out how “Bad” that really is. Do we just need to stock up on bug spray, or is it so bad that we need to invest in some bug suits?

Any info would be great!!
IQRaceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #2
Site Team

If you could be assured of a spot right next to the water, it would be better. But if you are inland, or in the woods, trees, brush, I think it might not be to enjoyable.
Next to the lake you always have a chance of a breeze to help blow them away. This time of year it can be pretty tough up north.

I remember one year we made the loop on the peninsula above Ashland WI.

After supper we decided to walk down by the lake. The wind had went down and the bugs almost carried us away before we could get back to the camper. In fact we had to close the door and windows to keep them out.
Nasty! We never went back up there.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:22 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the info. Yes, we will be right next to the water.....around 100ft from it.
IQRaceworks is offline   Reply With Quote