Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2021, 02:07 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Estes Park, Co camping reservations

Looking to go to Estes Park Colorado or area this summer. Anyone have any recommendations? Prefer full hookup as my wife and son do not know how to take short showers. Thanks in advance!

Screen Name = half Labrador, half Beagle and full of attitude.
Labbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:24 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labbie View Post
Looking to go to Estes Park Colorado or area this summer. Anyone have any recommendations? Prefer full hookup as my wife and son do not know how to take short showers. Thanks in advance!
Just a reminder!
You can leave the bath grey valve open, if necessary to keep from dumping daily, when connected to sewer, but NEVER leave the black tank valve open, dump when necessary followed by dumping the grey's.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:29 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Just a reminder!

You can leave the bath grey valve open, if necessary to keep from dumping daily, when connected to sewer, but NEVER leave the black tank valve open, dump when necessary followed by dumping the grey's.
Thanks reminders always good.

Old 01-28-2021, 05:07 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Texans and Labbie, please be aware that State Laws vary and dumping grey on the ground is forbidden in many places. Here in NY, it's very expensive if you are caught doing so. NYS DEC, State Police, and Park Rangers as a rule have no leniency when they catch you! As you travel, it's best to know the Law of the land.
Reese Weight Dist. w/friction sway control
jmnsn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:06 PM   #5
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmnsn57 View Post
Texans and Labbie, please be aware that State Laws vary and dumping grey on the ground is forbidden in many places. Here in NY, it's very expensive if you are caught doing so. NYS DEC, State Police, and Park Rangers as a rule have no leniency when they catch you! As you travel, it's best to know the Law of the land.
Never mentioned nor suggested dumping grey water on the ground!!!!!
It's also illegal in Texas.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:55 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Never mentioned nor suggested dumping grey water on the ground!!!!!
It's also illegal in Texas.

It could almost be interpreted that way. You should have said, while hooked up to full service you can leave grey water valve open.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:19 PM   #7
Site Team

When i read that post i saw "when connected to sewer". And no you are not supposed to dump your gray water on the ground. Not like in the old days before holding tanks.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:36 PM   #8
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 660catman View Post
It could almost be interpreted that way. You should have said, while hooked up to full service you can leave grey water valve open.
(Quote)You can leave the bath grey valve open, if necessary to keep from dumping daily, when connected to sewer,(Quote)

Might reread this sentence!!!
Old 01-29-2021, 07:37 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Geez I missed that completely!
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:37 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

And now back to regular scheduled programming. Anyone have a recommendation for a camp ground near Estes Park, Co? Glad I didn't ask which brand of truck was better for towing.

Old 02-01-2021, 08:59 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Or what type of oil to use...

I have always passed the yogi bear jelly stone park, we live close to the area so no need to stay there. But it’s a close to Estes option that I know of.
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:58 PM   #12
New Camper

Hey Labbie- We stayed at the Elk Meadow Campground in Aug 2020 and had a wonderful experience. It was our first trip with our new Zinger, and it couldn't have gone better.

Elk Meadow is about 1/4 mile from both the town of Estes Park and the East entrance to RMNP. Most of the campground is pull through with full hook-ups, including cable.

Almost every day a herd of Elk would wander through the campground, and there were black bears as well the night before we arrived.

One thing I can tell you about touring RMNP is that you have to make reservations for each car for each day that you plan to visit. Your reservation will have a four hour window for the morning or afternoon, and it makes getting into the park much faster and easier.

Order your pass online through the National Park Service website. Get your reservation as early as possible, as the slots fill up quickly.

If you do not have a reservation you will not be allowed into the park until after 4:00 (if I remember right). Without a reservation you can plan on waiting in line in your car for at least an hour. I remember watching more than a few cars trying to get into the reserved lane without a reservation, only to have the rangers turn them around and out of the park. The pass was only $25.00 per car, so no big expense.

Anyway, try Elk Meadow Campground in Estes Park.

Oh, and if we have a full hookup I keep the gray water valves open, but ONLY open the black water valves when the tank is full. If you keep the black water valve open full time you'll lose the rinsing/diluting action of the water. This means that all of the nasty solids from the toilets will stick inside the black water tank, requiring you to scrape it clean. Yuck!
CheeseheadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:27 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Estes Park

Elk Meadows is a great place to stay because of its location and views. Been going there for 18 years or more because it right next to RMNP. It's several miles from the town and easy to access with an RV from the East and South to avoid the downtown area.
You no longer have to have reservations for Rocky Mountain National Park. But be aware part of the park area did burn last summer. Most of the burn area was on the west side.
We live only 60 miles from there and still visit this area two or three times each summer.

Enjoy

J Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:06 PM   #14
New Camper

we live about a hour from estes and have spent many a night in the national park. However, camp grounds in the national park do not have any hookup. you will need to stay at one of commercial campgrounds around estes. I have never used a commercial campground there but the campgound at Marys Lake is simply a large parking lot. i don't know much about the KOA in estes but have heard good things about the Spruce Lake campground. As of right now, reservations are not required to enter the park. However, that can of course change with changes in COVID infection rates. For something to do, try hiking to Dream Lake. And if you are here late enough in the season, Fall River Rd is another great option.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:37 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Thanks all we are now staying in Fort Collins, CO. I waited way to long to make reservations, but my better half is in healthcare and they were not approving vacations.