Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2019, 04:36 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Glacier-Banff-Jasper

Group,

Made reservations last week for a 2 week trip to Glacier, Banff and Jasper in July. Staying 4 nights at each park. At Glacier we are staying at St. Mary KOA just outside the East entrance. Banff its Tunnel Mountain Trailer Court (full hookups). Jasper at Wabaso (electricity hookup only) campground.

We have never been to either of the 3 parks. With so many experienced travelers in the forum does anyone have any must-do hikes, locations, or recommendations? Any insight or tips on places off the beaten path feel free to share!

Its only January but I hope everyone else is looking forward to some fun adventures this year. Stay safe
Muggs43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:59 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

On the way from glacier to banff there are a few hot springs, and rr spiraltunnels. Lake louiseis a stop. There is a campgroung just south of athabaska glacier, incase you want to do the glacier tour and overlook. Go up the goldola in jasper and have lunch. Hike to top of mountain there.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:14 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

We did something similar last year but without the RV. Our route took us up from Denver via Rocky Mountain, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, then north to Alberta. We went up through Banff, up the Icefields Parkway, then Jasper, then back around through Kalispell and Glacier, then south through Idaho and Utah. All total we did more than 3800 miles.

I'd recommend getting the Canadian Rockies package from https://gypsyguide.com/ as it's very well done. There is also one for Glacier as well as a number of others available. It downloads to your iPhone or iPad and is driven by your phone gps so if you take a turn it will lead you to some other things to see.

You want to be at Lake Louise early (before 8am) or you're closest parking will be about 2KM south and have to run a shuttle bus. We were dealing with smoke from forest fires so visibility wasn't the best. Lake Louise was smoked in so we couldn't get in. We did get to go up to the glacier on north. We did hit smoke at Kamloops, BC at 1/4 mile visibility.

We did see the campground at Glacier but didn't go there. If you are interested in the Red Car (In-Park Transportation: Red Bus Tours | Glacier National Park Lodges) tour, make your reservations now cause those book up quick.

If you have family into quilting, there is a really good quilt shop in Kalispell.

We'd do this trip again in a heartbeat. Have a great trip.
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:40 PM   #4
RC3
Weekend Camper

A little drive outside the park to the east is Kananaskis, also, if you could fit in a day at the Calgary Stampede. The greatest outdoor show on earth, 1hour drive east of Banff.
RC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:51 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I second Kananaskis. It looks like there are several RV parks in the area. We stayed at the Delta hotel there (now a Marriott). There's a good restaurant/pub at the back of that hotel we ate in several times.

We made a conscious decision to avoid interstates/motorways as much as possible. We also tried to avoid any big cities or metropolitan areas (you've seen one, you've seen them all). We did hear good things about the Calgary Rodeo but decided not to go that direction.
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:27 PM   #6
RC3
Weekend Camper

And I am biased, I live in Calgary and camp all over the region, including Banff. I have much more info I could put together, which I think a post on the forum would not be a good place, if you are interested.
RC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:38 PM   #7
New Camper

Hi Muggs

If you intrested in Kanaskis check out Mt. Kidd RV Park, we live in Calgary and go there at least twice a year.
Check the travel Alberta site https://www.travelalberta.com/ca/ for things to see and do, watch the highways lots of deer, moose, and bear.
I just missed a grizzly by inches last year that thing flew across the road infront of us.

Have a great trip.
Paverdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:52 PM   #8
New Camper

At Glacier, drive the "Hwy. to the Sun" if you get a chance, but DO NOT take your RV. It's a beautiful and stunning drive.
Highway To The Sun Glacier National Park - Image Results
Shedss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:15 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Made the same trip, loved it.

We made the same trip last summer. Tried the year before but the smoke was too heavy to enjoy the views.

In Glacier we spent a couple of nights in the KOA, meet the owner, was a nice guy and the place is well maintained.

We did the glacier walk located on the Icefield Parkway and the Sky Bridge. For us, both were worth the time and investment. You might consider planning a whole day to do both not because of the time at each location but the fog rolling off of the glacier can cause long delays. Here is a description of our time there.

Glacier Walk / Sky Bridge or Wow! That’s a long Way Down – Ficks Travels

Something else we found was the campsites are very tight and roads are very narrow.

We have crossed into and out of Canada through the Chief Mountain Portal several times with our TT. The drive from Glacier to Waterton Park is spectacular.

Banff / Jasper or Luxury Service does not come without a stiff price – Ficks Travels
Glen Carbon, IL
www.fickstravels.com
Dennisf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:48 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

It's been too many years now that I don't remember the names of the parks. Alberta offered a camping package with sites and events included - of course the Stampede, a glacier trek in a snow cat, a little white water rafting, all the way from Calgary to Edmonton with stops along the way. As it was a first trip to the region, it seemed a good way to see the sights, and it was. However, it was also "their" schedule which meant it was rushed - necessary to see and do everything included, but too much travel too close together to take it all in. Next trip will be much more leisurely. Enjoy! Beautiful country. I live on the edge of the Rockies and they're nothing compared to the Canadian Rockies.
kvmllr is offline   Reply With Quote