Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2014, 09:03 AM   #21
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
Good Sam has a trip planner for it's members that is excellent IMHO. You imput your camper info and other driving preferences and it will route your trip. Also will give you points of interest, campgrounds, historic sites and other info along the route you planned. If you have not planned on buying a GPS unit, the price of the Good Sam membership is a cheap way of getting the same information.
Agree. Lots of good information on the Good Sam trip planner. For a $25 membership fee you get a free night stay at a Good Sam campground, plus 10% discounts from then on. Plus discounts at CW and free shipping. Has paid for itself many times over already.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:14 AM   #22
Family Vacation Member

We "extended stay" several times within the year for my husband's employment. We have been traveling together for over 7 years. When we first began, I thought I had to pack every convenience I have in my sticks and bricks back home. Planned, and planned, and planned some more. It turned out we were heavier then we should have been and we never followed our plan or used everything we packed!
Planning is fun, however, lean on the flexible side- make room for inspiration and life's(often cheaper) little treasures we don't plan for. It makes for a much more relaxing and fulfilling trip! Especially when you are making memories. A plan is great, just don't get yourself too structured or scheduled in. Also, I'd advise you include the rest of those going on the trip in your planning. Depending on their age, include the kids in the research so there's choices to present to everyone, make decisions together and then when something comes up along the way, you will have the buy-in of everyone committed to the initial "plan". It sounds like you've taken trips as a family before, so you may know all of this.
These are our lessons learned as we navigated the summer vacation miles with our kids who are now grown with kids of their own. We made wonderful memories! You may be looking for different types of advice, but with the fluctuating fuel costs, the growing number of camping options, and depending on the time in the season you go, my best advice is just go for it!
The internet is our best source to assist in the day to day planning. We check daily for weather, alternate routes and tourist sites available along those routes. You can also get the up to date information regarding road work and detours. Allow enough time in your trip to do 3-4 big things if that's important to you, but also allow enough down time for family bonding. Hope this helps!
2016 High Country SILVERADO 2500HD DURAMAX/Allison
RJHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:44 PM   #23
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
Bert
I just bought the Rand/McNally Good Sam GPS. Only had the chance to use it once and that was in the car mode. It worked very well, but what I wanted to tell you was. Good Sam has a trip planner for it's members that is excellent IMHO. You imput your camper info and other driving preferences and it will route your trip. Also will give you points of interest, campgrounds, historic sites and other info along the route you planned. If you have not planned on buying a GPS unit, the price of the Good Sam membership is a cheap way of getting the same information.
Good tip. I haven't had any memberships lately. I let them all expire and I was debating on activating them again. That would be a good reason.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:52 PM   #24
Full Time Camper

We picked up the book by the way. Very interesting, my oldest daughter has the tripped mapped out on Mapquest and has list of sights to see. She is now adding what scenic roads she wants us to take.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:54 PM   #25
Full Time Camper

That's great! I hope you have a great trip! Planning it can be a lot of fun too, which heightens the anticipation. A great geography and history lesson for the young ones too!

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:23 AM   #26
New Camper

Get with AAA and tell them exactly what you have said nd let them do the planning for you. I recently addressed this same issue and they sent me a wonderful array of items and my trip planned out.
LeoPFlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #27
Family Vacation Member

most places we camp lucky to get cell phone, how do you get internet everyday, I was trying to figure out a way to set up internet but so far am baffled.
and sway bars.
kcandsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #28
Full Time Camper

When I am in the U.S. I use a mobile WiFi hotspot called Internet to Go. I bought it at Walmart for about $80 and you buy Gigabytes for it (like buying time on a cell phone). It uses the Sprint network. I can get internet while driving down the road (I am in the passenger seat while doing this, of course). Since it uses the Sprint network, you only have access where it is available, so there are some areas with no coverage. These would be more remote places like Wyoming.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #29
Full Time Camper

Google maps and earth are excellent resources for overviews and street views, and Good sam trip planner is really good...
Old 06-20-2014, 08:56 AM   #30
Full Time Camper

I think I'm going to join Good Sam again. My kids are enjoying planning this trip. The other day we were hiking and found a quarter on top of a mushroom. The quarter was on tails and it had Mt Rushmore on it. They said it was a sign because that's one of the places we want to go. I loved it.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #31
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
I think I'm going to join Good Sam again. My kids are enjoying planning this trip. The other day we were hiking and found a quarter on top of a mushroom. The quarter was on tails and it had Mt Rushmore on it. They said it was a sign because that's one of the places we want to go. I loved it.
That is very cool. Think someone placed it there on purpose? We would love to go Mt Rushmore. I would take it as a sign and do it! A membership for one year is only $25 to Good Sam. Money well spent in my opinion.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 06-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #32
Full Time Camper

I agree, We are good sam members and use the trip planner online! Also we have been to Mt. rushmoore twice. beautiful area. lots of things to do. Hiked Harney peak, tallest point in the U.S. east of the rockies and saw buffalo in Custer state park. Crazy horse monument as well. even explored a cave and drove thru the badlands. You need to spend at least a week there is so much to see!

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #33
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post
I agree, We are good sam members and use the trip planner online! Also we have been to Mt. rushmoore twice. beautiful area. lots of things to do. Hiked Harney peak, tallest point in the U.S. east of the rockies and saw buffalo in Custer state park. Crazy horse monument as well. even explored a cave and drove thru the badlands. You need to spend at least a week there is so much to see!
Nice...Good info. What time of year did you go?

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 06-21-2014, 05:21 AM   #34
Full Time Camper

After consulting with the boss (DW). She says July time frame for both trips.

Jason & Wendy
Old 06-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #35
Full Time Camper

That's good. We are planning to go in June or July. How was the weather?

Old 06-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #36
Site Team

The weather is usually good out there that time of the year. Hot some times in my opinion----------BUT, the traffic in the parks is crazy!!
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #37
Full Time Camper

The weather was excellent that time of year

Jason & Wendy
Old 06-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #38
Full Time Camper

If you have kids who are not home schooled I think you are pretty well stuck with June and July. Always a good idea to check with management as well.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #39
Full Time Camper

Those are the only months we can be gone that long.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #40
Full Time Camper

Bert, Maybe hotter than what you guys are in FL, but I am sure less humid.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4