Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2020, 03:31 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Kissimmee Prarie Reserve State Park

I recently had some time on my hands and wanted to tick off a trip that we'd wanted to do for some time.

Not 80 miles from where we live is a state park designated as a 'Dark Zone' where minimal geographic light polution exists, and none is tolerated.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/pa...rve-state-park

The park is very basic, with electricity and water hook ups at most pitches, and a shared dump station near the entrance.

Divided into three areas, Astronomy Pad, Equestrian and Family camping, they are kind of self explanatory.

We chose the family camping area as I don't have a horse or a telescope.

We were thrilled with the setup from the get go and parked in a shaded pitch under some 100+ ear old oaks.

Pets are welcome if they're well behaved. The bathroom facilities are beyond reproach, modern and sanitized several times a day by diligent volunteers and staff employed by Florida State Parks who operate a Ranger Station adjacent to the camping sites.

During the day we spotted a multitude of avian wildlife including several pairs of Caracara which are spectacular to behold. Dear roam through the campsite and seem to be less timid than in other state parks.

The weather only cooperated on one of the three nights we were there, giving us a view of the cosmos like no other we've ever seen in the US.

Armed with only modest binoculars we could clearly identify some of the major planets in our system, and see stars long extinct whose light is only now reaching us across trillions of light years of space....get your mind around that if you can.

At around $16.00 per night, this is the best value anywhere. If you like the peace and quiet, the outdoors, no internet but good cell service, and the nicest neighbors we've met yet, this is the place for you.

I urge you to take a look at the website, and if you have the opportunity, pay the deepest darkest depths of Ockeechobee County a visit. You'll not be disappointed, even if it rains.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote