Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

We are looking to stay a few days at Myrtle Beach SC the end of April. Has anyone stayed in any of the campgrounds along the ocean? Any recommendations? What did you like and not like about where you stayed? Thanks.
Retired02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

We have stayed several times at Lakewood, however the last time there they charged an administrative fee to our reservation. You may not need a reservation at this time of year. Not sure if the fee applies to walk ins.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:38 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Myrtle Beach State Park, Huntington Beach St Park, few full hook-ups,reasonable rates.I perfer Huntington Beach over MYR St Prk. Have not stayed in Lakewood or Ocean View or Pirateland, too expensive for my blood ... Some good outlying parks too, didn't care for Briarcliff in N. Myrtle AT ALL. Good luck and happy camping.

Ocean View = Ocean Lakes, little bit o CRS thereEdited by: Ruck

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:55 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

We stayed at pirateland. The inland sites are all tight back in. The sites closer to the ocean tend to be larger pull through sites. Staff was helpful. Nice lazy river and pool plus kids pool. It has an indoor pool also I believe. There are paddle boats to rent, a mini golf course and an arcade with a snack shop. Nice beach. As with any of the big 3 there are seasonals there and a good amount of golf carts. I hear ocean lakes is nice also but I can tell you we went to pirateland in June and the entrance to ocean lakes had multiple lanes backed up onto the road waiting to register.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

We were regular summer campers for like 10 years at Pirateland. We loved & enjoyed their Premium oceanfront sites, and our morning oceanside walks with our coffees. Their large pool & lazy river is probably the nicest of all campgrounds. A little pricey in the summer, but what's cheap these days. There's always a premium to pay when staying anywhere near the ocean. Summer was the only time for us, when kids were out of school, so we'd go for 3 weeks every year, for nearly 10 years.

About 5 years ago we found Myrtle Beach Travel Park in the north Myrtle Beach area, which we like much better. They have a really nice pool & lazy river (but not as big as Pirateland). We found this park was managed much better. Not anywhere's near crazy with golf-carts as at Pirateland, and no young kids driving back & forth all day as at Pirateland.

We have stayed at OceanLakes once, and although it is a nice campground, we prefered Pirateland or now Myrtle Beach Travel Park.

http://myrtlebeachtravelpark.com/ http://pirateland.com/

Both great parks, you'll enjoy both. Both approximately same cost per day.

Happy camping in whatever choices you go with. Anywhere near "the water" is great!
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tonemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

We been in Lakewood & Oceanlakes. When your going in April none are to busy. Oceanlakes is mostly if not all pullthroughs. They have a lot of concrete sites.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

We stayed at Ocean Lakes twice and decided this was not for us. It was during June or July and the place is packed jammed with people. If you are going now it may be less crowded. For our summer beach trip it was just too crowded. They advertise a long section of private beach but there are thousands of people trying to get a spot to lay out a towel. The pool is so super chlorinated that it burns your nostals. I suppose this is because of the massive number of people using it requires more chlorine.
Spots are pretty tight with little space between campsites. Massive numbers of young adults and teenagers ridding around on golf carts trying to see and be seen. Big social event that makes walking on the streets very dangerous. We have stayed in a condo the last three years because the cost is not really that much more when you consider your cost of towing an RV.

I would be interested in knowing how an April or early May trip would work. The experience would be much better without the crowds!!
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

We've stayed at Myrtle Beach Travel Park two separate years and really like the campground. Quiet at night, which from what I hear is a benefit over Pirateland or Ocean Lakes.

We pick sites on the lake. Nice.
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:43 AM   #9
Site Team

Checked out Pirate Land, Lakewood and Ocean Lakes. Chose Lakewood, nice size sites and facilities. Have been there for the last 5 years and loved it. Going back again this year. Rates are reasonable to me.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired02

We are looking to stay a few days at Myrtle Beach SC the end of April. Has anyone stayed in any of the campgrounds along the ocean? Any recommendations? What did you like and not like about where you stayed? Thanks.

We are heading there the end of the month too:

http://www.myrtlebeachtravelpark.com/

Not a thing I do not like about the campground. Pull through sites, all new restrooms in the past 3-4 years, three pools, great beach area to walk.

We have stayed at Apache prior to MB travel park. Once I went from a motorhome to a trailer I found the Apache sites to hard to get in and out of.
Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:27 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Just a sidenote,

I've stayed at Myrtle Beach Travel Park the last two years and they do have back in sites up on the lake. nice and wide, only had a 29 foot trailer, but never had a problem. We really like the lake setting and the sites are spread out.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

We have been to Ocean Lakes many times, but always at Christmas. It is even full then. I highly recommend it.
The bunk bedroom is for Haley!

Crossing the Roads with The Mason-Dixon Bunch
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Thanks to everyone for their replies and info on Myrtle Beach campgrounds. Our plans have changed, we are now going to NC Outer Banks instead to visit extended family. Will probably stay in Rodanthe. Any info on that? We will keep Myrtle Beach info for future reference.
Retired02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

rodanthe has camp hatteras and a koa. Both are supposed to be good and both are expensive. the area was hit hard by the hurricanes but has been rebuilding. the koa had to start from scratch so everything should be pretty new there. Camp hatteras is a coast to coast member so if you are a member you can camp there cheaply.Edited by: anaro

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired02

Thanks to everyone for their replies and info on Myrtle Beach campgrounds. Our plans have changed, we are now going to NC Outer Banks instead to visit extended family. Will probably stay in Rodanthe. Any info on that? We will keep Myrtle Beach info for future reference.

We stayed there -http://camphatteras.com/
</span>
Was there before they moved the house that was used on the movie:</span>
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/nights-in-rodanthe/

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

Funny you mention the movie.

My family and I were staying in a house in the O.B unknowingly during the shoot. We took a wild horse tour up north and a gentlemen was running on the beach and stopped by where my wife and kids were to ask about how the sea shell hunt was going...for few seconds and kept running

My wife came running back with a big grin claiming she had just met Richard Gere. I said why the heck would he be in the OB?

The tour guide confirmed he was in a house there

Big brush with fame.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

We have stayed at north myrtle beach travel park several times and realy like it.
RICK7458 is offline   Reply With Quote