Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2016, 11:34 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Resources to map out fuel stops?

So we are headed out this weekend, on our longest haul with our current rig. Just under 400 miles to Utah from Colorado. I have a trip tik from AAA and am currently working on mapping out fuel/rest stops along the way.

I found the site Find The Cheapest Truck Stop - TruckMaster Fuel Finder to help locate truck stops, figuring those are the most convenient to the highway, with room to maneuver. It's not the most user friendly site, but using it from home ahead of the trip allows me to check out google maps for street view photos to confirm the basic layout, and confirm distance between anticipated stops.

Does anyone have any other resources they find are helpful for route and rest stop planning?
COCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:14 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Gas Buddy just tells you all the gas stations around you or in a area. You'd have to know where you are looking for gas and see if they meet your needs (size and type). But it does get updated pretty frequently on prices.

Gas Guru is a lot like Gas buddy but it lets me filter on diesel. Which is nice.

RoadTripper is pretty slick for travel planning. But it almost buries you with info, it has so much. Just mapping a quick trip from COS to SLC, it shows where all the gas stops are, but you have to review to see which might work. But it lets you see a ton of other data on hotel, attractions, etc, etc.

We also have a tendency to stop much more frequently than the truck needs, so I don't really have to map out stops, any plans I would make would be tossed aside my the first meltdown.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbaZabba View Post
Gas Buddy just tells you all the gas stations around you or in a area. You'd have to know where you are looking for gas and see if they meet your needs (size and type). But it does get updated pretty frequently on prices.

Gas Guru is a lot like Gas buddy but it lets me filter on diesel. Which is nice.

RoadTripper is pretty slick for travel planning. But it almost buries you with info, it has so much. Just mapping a quick trip from COS to SLC, it shows where all the gas stops are, but you have to review to see which might work. But it lets you see a ton of other data on hotel, attractions, etc, etc.

We also have a tendency to stop much more frequently than the truck needs, so I don't really have to map out stops, any plans I would make would be tossed aside my the first meltdown.
Thanks, I'll have to look at those resources as well. My big thing is wanting to filter on Diesel as well. I have an ok idea of areas we want to stop in, based on distance traveled. I like to air on the side of caution with how full/low our tank gets as well as try to just get the kids out of the truck for a bit to stretched their legs, use the bathroom and have a snack all in the hopes to avoid any major meltdowns.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:54 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I just got a book off Amazon called "The Next Exit" it tells you everything at every exit on all major highways. Looks pretty good to me.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:17 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I use Gas Buddy, it certainly let's me check diesel prices only. Using it's map feature, I can check prices along my planned route. Some stations have pictures included that let me decide if the station will work. If not, I use Google Maps to further check out the station. I don't need to worry about truck stops, but they frequently have higher prices. Walmarts and Sams Club are generally the best prices, but some of their stations are not RV friendly.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:18 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

On my iPad I have an APP called "trucker path", you can plan your route and add truck stops, fuel stations, rest areas and more to display on the map.
And an other APP called "iExit", which gives you all the amenities available at nearby exits.
Cooper the Golden Retriever, and
Sam the black lab.
CampMacKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:28 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

MyPilot

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:08 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

The Allstays app shows fuel, campgrounds, Walmarts, etc.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:00 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Quote:

Gas Buddy now lets you filter diesel too

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Pro BSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:25 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I've used gas buddy, the website Find The Cheapest Truck Stop - TruckMaster Fuel Finder and other truck stop websites. I also have POI's from the POI factory that I have loaded onto our gps for truck stops and rest areas. When using our gps mapping software I can import the POI's to see them on the route.

But as anyone knows nothing is perfect when it comes to planning fuel stops. I have tried in the past to make a perfect plan and of course it never works do to to many variables like traffic, wind, weather, terrain, etc.. I know what my worst case fuel mileage has been and I know what my best case is so I try to take an average of the two and try to base my stops accordingly. Sometimes I will have to stop sooner and other times I could bypass one of the stops. My best suggestion would be just check to see what is on your route and have a plan B if you need to stop sooner or if you can go farther. For example: just last month we did an 1800 mile trip and had planned out basically about 8 fuel stops for the 1800 miles we were going to travel (about 225 miles between stops). Well the 8 turned into about 10+ just because of some high winds we hit on part of the trip which reduced our stops down to about 150 miles between stops.

Good luck and have a safe trip!

Phil & Janine
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Short Bed 2500HD Cummins
2014 Cruiser 333RL
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:41 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

We seek out Pilot/Flying Js and fuel up where the trucks do. It is so much easier to get in and out of those places than the usual pumps facing the building. When you are towing a trailer sometimes you cannot maneuver where the cars go.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:47 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'll have to check some more of those out, though I think I have a good plan picked out so far.

I wrote potential fuel stops in my AAA Triptik and included distance to the next planned stop so we can adjust our stops as necessary depending on how things are going: fuel consumption, children's behavior, ease of driving. I even added in some in-between stops in case we need an extra stop to stretch our legs or the drive is a bit tougher than planned and the driver needs an extra rest.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:00 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro BSer View Post
Gas Buddy now lets you filter diesel too
Really, wonder if I need to update my version. I looked when I typed and it didn't give the ability to filter.

Where on the user interface do you select gas vs diesel?
Old 06-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

You can also use the gas buddy website to map out a route finding the cheapest fuel along your route. You can plug in your anticipated mpg size of your tank capacity etc.
But be careful it sure won't tell you if you can maneuver your tall and or long RV into and around the area.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Old 06-09-2016, 10:26 AM   #15
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Really, wonder if I need to update my version. I looked when I typed and it didn't give the ability to filter.

Where on the user interface do you select gas vs diesel?
I have the iPhone app it is located at the lower left part of the screen that shows up after an initial search. Left of search by price, distance