Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2015, 10:37 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Retirement

I am so excited. I recently booked a national forest campground for the first leg of our first trip when I retire in July. My last day of work is July 31 and our first night to camp is August 3. We plan a month trip through Colorado, Utah and ending up in California. Our first 8 days will be at Lottis Creek campground in the Gunnison National Forest. I'm so happy that some of the national forest campgrounds have standard electric. We drove through this little campground last summer and it is beautiful. There is good trout fishing, hiking and lots of beautiful scenery in the area. I am not sure about the rest of the trip. My daugher lives in California so we will spend a few days with her. After that, not sure where we'll end up!!

2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 26RB
2013 F250
jlongsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:42 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Early congratulations! Retirement is a wonderful thing..and so is camping in Colorado.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:19 AM   #3
Site Team

Jill, congratulations on your upcoming retirement.
Take time to smell the roses along the way. I don't know if you ever seen or read the thread I started a few years back on retirement. If you are interested here is the link. Lots of different input from members.

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...read.php?t=408
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:46 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Thanks Lloyd, I'll check out the thread.

2013 F250
Old 02-20-2015, 12:04 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Our first campsite on our first day of retirement (if the creek don't rise)!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15.jpg (118.4 KB, 7 views)

2013 F250
Old 02-20-2015, 12:18 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Our retirement trip last year was the first long trip in what was then our new camper. (We have since bought another!) It took us from SC to KS, with about 4 destinations within KS, and return. It included tourist stops like Branson and Stone Mtn, as well as RV Resorts, KOAs, and Mom/Pop places. Even a boondock in a Georgia county park. Great trip! Try to bring all you need without overloading, and be ready to spend more than you plan. We hit budget in KS, had to come home on the "cheap!" LOL Congratulations!
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Early congrat on retirement. I retired 2 years ago, wife retired last year and have several travel plans. Gunnison is a beautiful place to visit. Enjoy your time together.
2001 ford excursion 7.3 diesel
Rick G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:37 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Since we live in Kansas, we have camped in a lot of places in Colorado. We love national forest campgrounds as they are usually in very pretty spots. I am happy there are a few with electric now. We have traveled extensively throughout the west, southwest and northwest. I want to go to New England and Florida. Just hard to believe how fast time goes. It doesn't seem possible that I am 65 and ready to retire!! I am happy we took our kids on lots of vacations through the years. Great memories.

2013 F250
Old 02-20-2015, 01:51 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Jlongsta, when you're back in KS, check out Glen Elder State Park, on US 24 between Beloit and Cawker City. We stayed there 3 days and loved it. Water/elec, dump station. Wifi when you're close to restrooms, where transmitters are. We camped further away, but would drive up, and check email/news once a day. Wakonda Lake is beautiful! If you reserve a "prime" site, you'll pay about $2more/day, but you'll have a big wide site, and plenty of shade. Well worth it!
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:19 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

We have some fairly nice state parks here in Kansas. Some of the lakes have both state parks and corps of army engineer campgrounds. We like the corp campgrounds because we can use our federal senior pass and get 50% off camping. Our state parks have yet to figure out that giving seniors a discount is a good thing!! We've been to Glen Elder but have not camped. Thanks for the tip.

2013 F250
Old 02-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

I retired 6 1/2 years ago, my husband 3 years before that. Our retirement dream was to buy a truck & fifth wheel, spend winters in Florida and travel on and off the rest of the year. That is exactly what we have been doing and we are loving it!

We took a trip to the U.S. south-west last fall and totally fell in love with Colorado.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:26 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

I'm retiring this May, and the DW doesn't work. 2 years ago we bought (and paid for) a second home in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. We will use it for our home base in the Spring, Summer, Fall Months, and spend Winter in our 5er with our motorcycles and dogs down south. Can't wait till our first Winter trip.

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
2015 F350 6.7L Diesel 4X4 - long bed, dually
Jerry Pinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:51 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Jerry, sounds like you have a great plan. We own a home in Kansas but may sell and buy something in Missouri. Not sure where we'll end up. I just know I won't miss work at all!!

2013 F250