Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2019, 05:43 AM   #1
New Camper

Send a message via AIM to wpaultaylor Send a message via MSN to wpaultaylor Send a message via Yahoo to wpaultaylor
RV Trip Planners

Looking for recommendations for RV trip planning tools. I’m particularly interested in tools that consider roadway and campground height clearances and significant changes in elevation. Oh, and “free” would be awesome, but willing to shell out some dough for the right tool/product. What do you use/recommend and which ones should I avoid? Thanks!
V/R,
Paul Taylor
wpaultaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:25 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

We basically just use our Garmin and our iPhone for backup. I know they have specific gps for Rv use. I’ve never used one so I don’t know if it references height clearances. Maybe someone else will jump in later.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:03 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for but Google Mamaps on your phone is awesome, showing about anything you want to know about like attractions, fuel, camping, etc. and now even shows the speed limit and warns of construction and speed traps. On newer vehicles it will work on the vehicle touch screen. There are also various campground/rv park apps like Rvparky. All of them have good and bad points and IMO tend to accentuate the negative somewhat. There are apps for attractions as well.

Other than Google Maps, I just search the internet for whatever I need on any topic and get several sources to avoid bad info.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:06 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

it's a great question...and I don't know the answer....

We use google, but be warned it is not RV friendly. It will take you down(or up) roads that are not suited for an RV and will not take into consideration bridge heights.

A great trick we learned is if Google says go one way, and you see a posted sign that says "Truck Route" pointing in another direction, follow the "Truck Route" sign...

Vaya con Dios!
blkdth1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:31 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

We use RV Parky, All Stays, Google Maps, and ios Maps.

For clearances, you might want to check out this app. Its for iPhone but are also available for Android

https://www.smartrvroute.com/smartrvhome/

SmartTruck Route
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/smar...580967260?mt=8

SmartRVRoute
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/smar...te/id606236753

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:24 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via AIM to st.rodder2 Send a message via MSN to st.rodder2 Send a message via Yahoo to st.rodder2
When traveling to new places I use the Magellan RV model. I can program the length and height of the trailer. It helps avoid roads and bridges that I won't fit on. Otherwise I use the factory nav unit.

2015 Sunset Trail SF32RL
2012 Ford F250SD CC 4X4 - 6.7 Powerstroke

st.rodder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:07 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

learn Google Maps.

You'll love it.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #8
New Camper

Send a message via AIM to wpaultaylor Send a message via MSN to wpaultaylor Send a message via Yahoo to wpaultaylor
Thank you all for the tips. I've seen a couple of YouTubers suggest RV Trip Wizard, but it costs something like $35 a year. Not a huge amount... unless it offers the same thing I can get for free from Google Maps. The thing I haven't been able to find that I'd like to have is a way to know how steep a route is. We're still relatively new to RVing and this summer we're doing a big cross country trip which include a stretch between Durango, CO and Denver. Google Maps suggests three different routes. All three feature state roads, so I wonder which one is going to have the smoothest inclines and declines. I'm probably worrying too much about it, but I grew up in Kansas and live in Virginia; the most significant elevation changes I'm used to can be measured in hundreds of feet, not thousands. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your tips with me. Safe and happy travels to you all!
Old 04-12-2019, 09:50 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

I have not used google maps a whole lot but I’m watching this thread as I’m planning a trip from the prairie region of Canada to Yellowstone Park in June. I’ve been using Google Earth for routes and you can see the elevation changes at the bottom right of screen as you follow route with your cursor.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:28 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

For a few years we used Good Sam Trip Planner on line, and imported trips to the Good Sam (Rand McNally) GPS. Worked in a limited capacity for a while. Trip Planner on line is still good, however, GS has dropped R/McNally, and support is only on weekdays. (when do you travel?) Still, I build trips on Trip Planner, but on the GPS, on only use destination one day at a time. Multi-stop trips are very hard for the system to understand.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:32 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

When I had my dually truck and huge 5er I would do Google earth and spot check the route from above in sat mode and street view to see the lay of the land. I still do occasionally since I am goosey about two lane roads with epic drop offs and/or endless hairpin curves. In street view you can look at a section of road in 360 degrees like you were standing there.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:22 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpaultaylor View Post
... We're still relatively new to RVing and this summer we're doing a big cross country trip which include a stretch between Durango, CO and Denver. Google Maps suggests three different routes. All three feature state roads, so I wonder which one is going to have the smoothest inclines and declines. I'm probably worrying too much about it, but I grew up in Kansas and live in Virginia; the most significant elevation changes I'm used to can be measured in hundreds of feet, not thousands. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your tips with me. Safe and happy travels to you all!
I'm from Oklahoma and went to Durango, Denver and points north several years ago. I found out that there are a LOT of differences in an RV.
1. Your tire tread has to be much better than in OK. If you're in a wreck they check it and it's below their enhanced level you're at fault.
2. Use your gears when going up/down hill. Uphill it helps to get torque to climb. Downhill it will slow your truck down without burning your brakes out.
3. Don't ride your brakes on the way down the hills. You'll burn them out easily.
4. Make sure that you have plenty of truck to pull. We were using a Chevy 1500 with an 18 ft travel trailer. We were probably overloaded and it really did make a BIG difference. We're going back on a similar route this year but I've got a 2500 RAM Diesel and pulling a 28 ft fifth wheel. I'm NOWHERE near Max Tow Weight.
mdbeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
“trip planning”