Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
New Camper

We bought a 2006 zinger from an individual.He wanted 9000, but agreed to take 8300...we checked under cabinets for leaks,found none, walked all over the floors to find soft spots, found none.noticed some water damage 2 bottom of slide..seller assured us that ALL slides do that eventually.we pulled the rug up a bit @ the damaged area to check for wetness or rot,found none.went outside & checked seal, seemed fine.The sellers were explaining how everything works,plus taking their belongings out...it was chaotic.we had some cash with us, & seller agreed to take a check for the remaining 400...today, i was showing the camper to family members, then cleaning (it wasn't dirty @ all, just washing linens, personalizing it!) We were so excited & happy! Then i was trying to figure out how much storage we had, & raised the bench @ the dinette...i found wet, moldy, black wood...the carpet had been cut out! The tub has been patched with some type of rubbery material, & after removing the service panel, we found wet wood...the toilet is wiggly , the floor is solid tho.i called the seller, asked him why he didn't divulge the damage, 1'st he said he didn't know about it, then said he patched the roof of the slide & its fixed now.why is it still wet?! Ahhhh! I'm tired of writing all this! We feel stupid...we should have been more thorough. He says sorry, its a done deal. We don't know what to do now.
twalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:28 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Unless he gave you a warranty in writing, you are probably stuck. You will need to find the source of the water intrusion and then fix all the wet wood.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:30 AM   #3
New Camper

Hmmm... idk what i was expecting. I guess it IS a "done deal"...soooo... does anyone know what we can do? if anything? Or if we are just stuck (which is what we believe has happened) if he did indeed stop the leak by patching the slide, is it ok to leave all the rotten wood in there?! & are you supposed to be able to see daylight thru the top of the slide, around where it goes in & out?
Old 11-19-2012, 02:34 AM   #4
New Camper

Oops, sry stan! Was in process of babbling as u were posting! Thank you for talking to me...no warranty. He was just another human, wanting to unload a headache...its sooooo pretty, it has such a nice feel to it! Like lots of good memories just waiting to be made....buuuuut, it has water damage.i put a space heater down in the bench seat box to dry it out....gonna check it later.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:56 AM   #5
Site Team

I think you are going to have to learn how to tear into that thing and fix it. You will have to get rid of the wet rotten wood, and replace it with good stuff. (mold) you don't need that. Do you have anybody local that can help you figure it out? Maybe even give you a hand? They really aren't that hard to work on. It just seems intimidating when you first think about it. Take it slow and easy, ask questions, and don't get ahead of yourself.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:08 AM   #6
New Camper

Well...thank you so much old farmer! My brain has the dumb today...it is tired from the overwhelming letdown of being taken advantage of...argh! Guess that's just the reality of the world we're in...hopefully i can find some help locally...i just hope its not toooo expensive!!! We've replaced part of the floor in our mitey lite...THAT was NOT fun! This is bigger...& looks scary!like if we start on it, & run into trouble, we're reallllly screwed!!!!
Old 11-20-2012, 12:37 AM   #7
New Camper

Sooo...i've had an elec space heater inside the bench box for 2 days...it's just about dry.After pulling out the rest of the carpet,tearing (not too hard,it was like balsa wood almost, floppy, wet ,rotten tho ...)the bottom of the bench seat is all poofy and theres stuff along the bottom that looks like coffee grounds...i guess that USED to be the inside of the wall? Its gross....it looks overwhelming.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:27 AM   #8
Site Team

You are probably wasting your time trying to dry it out if it's that wet and rotten. My advice would be to find out for sure, whether or not it's still leaking. After you have made sure -- no more leaks-- then you might as start tearing that wet rotten crap out of there and replacing it all with good sound material.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:00 AM   #9
New Camper

Yippee!!!!! You answered! It dried out....but yeah....i can definitely see that it has to come out...im kinda scared to test to see if it leaks...i dont really know how i should do it...spray it with a hose? How long before i would notice if water WAS still leaking in...probably took awhile, according to the damage that's there. I can see daylight around the slide opening...behind the pretty wood facing or molding, @ the top...could the slide maybe not be cranking out all the way? Bet y'all think i'm a real ding a ling! It IS a little bit embarassing to us to think about how naive we were.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

I would get slide adjusted frist. If it needs new seals go for it. Then test for leaks.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
New Camper

Hey! Thank you cwit,i was trying to get to my email...i know as much about this new phone as i do about the camper! I didn't know the slide could BE adjusted! Hmmm...well, it makes sense tho...it's something that has moving parts... i climbed up a ladder & looked @ the top of the slide.if the guy that sold it to us really did repair it, it must have been a looooong time ago...and he didnt do a very good job.it looks like crackle.and it has mildew there.its also very soft on the top of the slide.squishy like.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #12
New Camper

While i've got the opportunity to get some good advice....whats the best thing to repair the tub & kitchen sink with...there are splits in the plastic, or fiberglass...whatever its made of.the kitchen sink i'm not as concerned with, the split wont be too hard to repair,and we certainly wont be standing in it...but the bathtub will have more stress put on it.thanks for taking your time to help me out!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

For 150.00I would replace the kitchen sink if it is plastic. We just baught a real nice Fiberglass sink from our dealer. The tub I would take out and repair from the bottom first then fix the finished side by v groveing and filling with epoxy. Maybe cover with a tub mat when done. I hate to say this but in less you know what you are doing the slide can ovew whelm you. I would strip out the inside as much as you need to repair and see all damage .
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #14
New Camper

Good morning! Whoa! $150.00 seems steep for a kitchen sink! It IS plastic tho, & looks like someone put something hot in it that melted thru it...well, we sure are learning our lesson...LOOK CAREFULLY AT EVERYTHING B4 BUYING...(under /in/on top of)we were just so excited & ignorant...how hard is it to take out a bathtub??? The slide....oh man!THAT'S definitely going to take time...& money...(blood,sweat,tears!) I think we're gonna go 2 a little campground this weekend to get better aquainted with our camper...(we live in magnolia, so there's nothing breathtaking in the scenery here, so we should be able to casually go over all the details)
Old 12-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by twalla
Yippee!!!!! You answered! It dried out....but yeah....i can definitely see that it has to come out...im kinda scared to test to see if it leaks...i dont really know how i should do it...spray it with a hose? How long before i would notice if water WAS still leaking in...probably took awhile, according to the damage that's there. I can see daylight around the slide opening...behind the pretty wood facing or molding, @ the top...could the slide maybe not be cranking out all the way? Bet y'all think i'm a real ding a ling! It IS a little bit embarassing to us to think about how naive we were.

Check for a leak in a heavy rain storm, but I've owned several trailers and own 5 at this time from 1997 to 2012 all of them have slide top awnings on them. I install them as soon as I buy them. Post some pics or message me and i'll see if I can advise. I've fixed a few for my customers.