Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2018, 12:12 AM   #1
New Camper

Suggestions needed for Black Hills full hookups

We are taking possession of our first TT on Saturday, a 2018 Zinger Lite ZR18BH. I'm upgrading from tenting with my daughters and my husband only "hotel'ed" it prior to agreeing to this purchase. We have some small trips planned for June, but are headed out of state in July. We absolutely love the Black Hills and specifically Hill City, SD and have traveled there 6 or 7 times. This time, no hotels for us as we're going to take the new trailer.

I'm looking for your favorite campsites with electric/water/sewer. Ours is a small, bummer pull rig, so no concerns about space and we're adept travelers and haulers and really familiar with the area. Just looking for your favorite campsites in the Hill City area as this is new to us.
rgschott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:40 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Custer State Park has a great number of camp grounds. We spent about seven or eight nights in the Blue Bell campground and another five nights in Game Lodge camp grounds. Two entirely different camp grounds. Blue bell is nestled amount the tall ponderosa pines and game lodge is more prairie style with a small creek going through it. So much to see. I believe both have electric and water. There are bath houses in each also. Dump stations are around.

The Bad Lands also had some nice camping. Water and electric with bath houses. A shower runs about a buck, so have some quarters with you. Right off the bad lands is a former missle sight NPS has turned into a Park. Tours into the missle silos fill up fast. I believe it is first come, first serve. Enjoy your trip. I loved it.
cubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:11 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgschott View Post
We are taking possession of our first TT on Saturday, a 2018 Zinger Lite ZR18BH. I'm upgrading from tenting with my daughters and my husband only "hotel'ed" it prior to agreeing to this purchase. We have some small trips planned for June, but are headed out of state in July. We absolutely love the Black Hills and specifically Hill City, SD and have traveled there 6 or 7 times. This time, no hotels for us as we're going to take the new trailer.

I'm looking for your favorite campsites with electric/water/sewer. Ours is a small, bummer pull rig, so no concerns about space and we're adept travelers and haulers and really familiar with the area. Just looking for your favorite campsites in the Hill City area as this is new to us.
We stayed at Rafter J Bar Ranch, and enjoyed the stay and really enjoyed the area. Located near Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse.

https://www.rafterj.com/

This is one area we will go back to since there is more to see than the week we were there.

Screen Name = half Labrador, half Beagle and full of attitude.
Labbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:13 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubfan View Post
Right off the bad lands is a former missle sight NPS has turned into a Park. Tours into the missle silos fill up fast. I believe it is first come, first serve. Enjoy your trip. I loved it.
Wish I would have done this tour, but my family didn't want to. Next time I am there I am going myself.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:54 AM   #5
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labbie View Post
We stayed at Rafter J Bar Ranch, and enjoyed the stay and really enjoyed the area. Located near Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse.

https://www.rafterj.com/

This is one area we will go back to since there is more to see than the week we were there.
@labbie: The Black Hills are our favorite area to visit and for all practical purposes, it's in our "backyard". We live on the western edge of MN right by the border. As a kid, I traveled with my family and our horses to go trail riding out there. As a married couple, my husband and I have made 6 or 7 trips for a week each and absolutely love it! We have attempted to do something different every time we go and so far have been successful. In 2016 we hiked to Harney's Peak. It was a good hike and the views were incredible. I'm so very excited to make this trip in our own camper!
Old 05-31-2018, 01:19 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgschott View Post
@labbie: The Black Hills are our favorite area to visit and for all practical purposes, it's in our "backyard". We live on the western edge of MN right by the border. As a kid, I traveled with my family and our horses to go trail riding out there. As a married couple, my husband and I have made 6 or 7 trips for a week each and absolutely love it! We have attempted to do something different every time we go and so far have been successful. In 2016 we hiked to Harney's Peak. It was a good hike and the views were incredible. I'm so very excited to make this trip in our own camper!
We hiked Harney peak in 2016 as well, the views were nice unfortunately the day we were there it was very smoky from wildfires. My 10 year old son wanted to turn around a half mile in, and to this day he still talks about the view.

I work with a group of engineers in the Black Hills and they were telling me they had bad wildfires last year and a lot of Custer State Park burned.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:39 PM   #7
Site Team

Congratulations on the TT and welcome to the forum!

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 25 nights in 8 states, 4611 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:41 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

There's a nice KOA centrally located to all the National Parks and Monuments. It even has hot and cold running bunnies. There are swarms of "wild" domestic rabbits of all colors and sizes that roam through the grounds.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:14 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

The Mt Rushmore KOA was awesome. Very large and lots of amenities. A few miles from Mt Rushmore and not far from Custers Park. Can walk right out into forest if you want to.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:22 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

I have a friend who bought out the Custer Crazy Horse campground in Custer in Spring of 2017. Great folks there. Cullum family will take great care of your needs and they are minutes from Crazy Horse.
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:02 AM   #11
Gone Traveling

What about Rafter J Bar Ranch? It has almost five camping areas with modern facilities.
Remedios_Sharrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:51 PM   #12
New Camper

I agree on the KOA. We have stayed there a couple of times.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:32 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Camping Spots

Allstays Camp & RV is an app on Apple as well as a web site. It has all the campgrounds in the country. You might find it useful. I never leave home without it!
Bud1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #14
Kab
Weekend Camper

We usually stay in Spearfish at the City Campground. also have stayed at the KOA there both are great places.
We travel the black hills from there.
Kab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:25 PM   #15
Seasonal Camper

I second the suggestion for Rafter J Bar ranch. Pretty central to whole region just south of Hill City. Stayed there for 10 nights and had short day trips to see attractions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:12 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

I was just in CSP this weekend. Most of the park is in good shape. Had a great time.

We stayed at Legion lake campground. If you do decide make sure you bring extra hose to fill your freshwater tanks.

Reservations are a challenge most of the time plan on 1 year plus for the good sites.

2017 Crossroads Volante 310bh
2016 Ford F-350 6.7l PSD Superduty

Vikes79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:27 PM   #17
New Camper

I have 4 nights booked at Horse Thief Campground outside of Hill City. Right in the thick of the Black Hills and only 3 miles from Sylvan lake (where I LOVE to hike!). We're staying a 5th night in Chamberlain on the Missouri River on our way back home. Granted we'll spend more in fuel there and back than previous years, but the site rentals are 1/3 the price of hotels plus eating a few more meals at "home" will help offset the fuel increases. We're so excited!