Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2015, 08:47 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Texas Beach Boondock?

We're wanting to take the HC32RL to a Corpus-Padre area beach. When we were talking to sales guys, one was telling me about taking his TT on the beach for a weekend and boondocking. I listened politely as I eyed the 35 ft monster in front of me and tried to imaging turning that thing on a beach...

I have driven on the beach in the Padre area, saw lots of cars/trucks...is it really possible to take one of these on a beach? Anyone have any tips where is a good spot, safe to get to and get back from?

I grew up on the Connecticut shore, so I am familiar with the ocean hazards...it's the TT issues I am worried about.

Ron (aka Bigguy) Jamilkowski
'13 Ram 1500
Kerrville TX
Bigguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:11 PM   #2
Site Team

I have heard of people doing this, but I have also heard some pretty tough stories about the trouble they got themselves into.

1. Stuck in the sand and having to get a wrecker to get everything pulled out. $$$$$

2. When you are on or near the ocean there is always salt in the air, let alone the water. This created a lot of rust. Which created a lot of future problems. $$$$$

It can and has been done, but that will have to be your decision.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

texas

You can camp on the beach on Mustang Island in Texas. Also on the National Sea shore on Padre Island. At Port Aransas Tx. you can Boondock with no danger from soft sand. You also have a dump station at the county park. You still have to deal with rust on steel parts from salt in the air. I guess it depends on how much you like the sea shore. I like it a lot.
allenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:58 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Having lived in FL for a number of years I can tell you that "salty air" is no where near the rust problem as driving on salted roads in the winter! Just keep your trailer out of the surf! Soft sand is a different story. I have driven on some beaches and it can be quite solid near the water and have also bottomed out to my axles that no four wheel drive could get of.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:58 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Go to Port Aransas and stay at I.B. Magee beach park, they have 75 sites with water and elec. Then you can drive along the beach road and decide if you want to boondock. The shoulder is fine, but not much different than the sites with w/e. Off the road it is very ez to get stuck in soft sand with stock tires.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote