Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Any suggestions on basic tools we should carry in the travel trailer? We're novices and expect to be taking 3-4 day trips once per month around central Texas until we have our sea legs. We've been told #1 & #2 square drivers & a circuit tester. Would appreciate your thoughts.

TimnBarb
Zinger 2011 RL27

2011 Zinger 2011 RL27

2004 F150
timnbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:37 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

First off welcome to the forum and hello to a fellow Central Texan.

You might want to look at one of these kits like Sears or some of the hardware stores sell that has screw drivers, wrenches, sockets sets, etc. all on one case. Oh and a roll of duck tape and a can of WD40, that should get you through about anything you come across.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:05 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I have a tool bag that is just for the RV. Some of the tools are duplicated from the house tools but that's OK. Make sure you can change a tire on the road. Besides the normal screwdrivers, wrenches etc some other items I have are voltmeter, extra coax cable, fuses, hose washers, and as Hunter said...Duct tape.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

My trailer is out of warranty so I carry a very large tool set in a tool box behind the truck cab. Items I would recommend is a complete set of wheel bearings (prepacked with grease) and seal plus tools required to do the replacement. I also carry an extra spring, u-bolts and tools required to replace a spring. Now this all assumes you are mechanically inclined. If not carry a friend who is or have a good road hazard policy.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I put together a set of ratchets, sockets, screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, etc, mostly less expensive stuff from Harbor Freight or the like. I found that I would occassionaly lay something down around the campsite and then forget about them, leaving them behind. When I do repair at home I have access to my better, more expensive tools. I also havewire splices and a crimping tool for electrical repairs. I also carry a few feet of PEX tube and some extra fittings left over from past plumbing redo's. Most important are the zipties, duct tape, JB Weld, and epoxy for emergency repairs, though I think I only used the JBWeld of all of these.

A rubber roof patch kit or length of EternaBond tape is also good to have in case you pick up a roof tear. I have the tools in a large 28" tool box I bought a Lowes. It'slong enough for the torque wrench and breaker bar. Torque wrench is to check wheel lugs. The extra parts are kept in a small RubberMaid tub. The tool box is nice because it hold all the tools and is sturdy enough tostand on.

I also have 2 wrenches and a vise griptype pliers not in the tool box. I use those everytime when setting up so have them ina separate RubberMaid tub labelled "setup"that has various setup items like awning deflappers and such. That way I don't have to fetch them out of the tool box each time.

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I bought one of those good for everything kits from Lowes and have added to it when needed

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

All the above.. Plus you may want to add a cordless drill / impact wrench. The drill is handy for lowering the front / rear jack for those who don't have power ones. Also, if you ever need to remove the awning brackets from the side, in case it gets destroyed during a storm the drill is real handy for removing the 3-4" screws holding the awning arms.

As for what I carry. I picked this set up for $40 at my kid's school PTO auction.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=80036&g roup_ID=20241&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

We picked up a tool set similar to this http://www.target.com/Black-Decker-14-4V-126-pc-Project/dp/B000V4T0LA/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton. We also picked up a socket that fits the stab jacks so we can run them up and down using the drill. Other items: battery charger/jumper that also can be used to inflate tires, breaker bar, ratchett that fits the bolts on our WDH, plumbers tape, duct tape, electric tape, extra fuses of all amps in your fuse box, a water pressure regulator, a voltmeter reader are to name some of what we have discovered a need for over the last few months that we have had our TT. Don't forget the grease for your hitch ball ( we keep this with the TT).

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Most importantly (I found out the hard way) make sure you have a lug wrench that fits.

2005 GMC 2500HD D/M crew cab
towhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I purchased a lightweight aluminum racers jack at harbor freight. I figured when I get a flat and eventually it is going to happen. I don't want to be messing around with the finding and digging out the truck jack from wherever they have it hid. I can reach my race jack in about two minutes and with three or four pumps be ready to change the rubber and get back on the road.
Since it works on both the truck and rv, I think the weight is worth it....

Old 09-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Oh and a handfull of zip ties. Next to duct tape they will come in handy....

Old 12-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to dhasenwinkle

All of the above, plus we carry a tarp, to lay on, and a supply of various size bungie cords, an air compressor, and wheel chocks.
dhasenwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

I might also suggest a water heater check valve, if it has one, and find out how to change it.

I forgot that you wanted Tool suggestions, I do like the others, Cheap tool set.
Edited by: Jimw606

Jimw606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #14
Seasonal Camper

I think it depends if you are a weekend camper or full time camper.

For weekend camping I carrya basic hand tool set, duct tape, zip ties, and tire changing things. I prefer to carry silicone spray lube instead of WD-40 (I belive it is often misused). Silicone can be use for almost any lubricating duty, slide seals, locks, etc. and doesn't tend to gum up the works over time.

Full timing may require a much more advanced tool set if you are capable of using them.

The most important "tool" for any RV is a good CREDIT CARD!!

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote