Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We finally got off to Dead Horse Point State Park for a few days. If you're going south from I-70 towards Moab (about 20 miles), the Canyon Lands sign is visible at night. The Dead Horse Point sign is above the Canyon Lands, but is non-reflective at night, so I drove right past the turn off. When we got to the Arches exit I got the map out, then turned around headed back up the road to the exit I had driven past!!
The Dead Horse Point camp has electricity, but no water hookups. My wife discovered there was electricity available after we went for a hike on Sunday and wanted to know why we hadn't hooked up?? That's when I plugged into the box I almost tripped over in the dark the night before!!The rest rooms were very nice, and views are great!! We like all of the various rock formations, canyons etc. Sunday night we had to "share" the campground with one other camper!! It's early but I thought there would be more people out that that!! Canyon Lands park had very few people also and great views also!

Old 02-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

post some pictures when you get a chance.i'm jealous.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

John-

Your post brought back some good memories. Love the place and the views from the top are phenomenal! We took our TV down the Schaffer Trail and turned right on the White Rim Trail then turned around and followed the bottom of the canyon back to Moab, then back to Dead Horse. Made kind of a long loop that day. One of my last tenting trips takingmy Jeep along the entire distance of the White Rim Trail...over 100 miles.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I'm still picture posting challenged. After missing the non-reflective sign and telling DW there wasn't any electricity available, DW pointing out the electrical boxes, no wonder I can't post pictures!!

Old 02-09-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastn
John-

We took our TV down the Schaffer Trail and turned right on the White Rim Trail then turned around and followed the bottom of the canyon back to Moab, then back to Dead Horse. Made kind of a long loop that day. One of my last tenting trips takingmy Jeep along the entire distance of the White Rim Trail...over 100 miles.

We tried to do this when we were there last summer. The trip down Schaffer trail is more suited to Jeeps or Hummers (short wheelbase, sharp turning radius) vehicles rather than a CrewCab truck. We got part way down the trail, then turned around to go back to the top. Whenever we came to one of the many hairpin turns, I would have to stop, backup, turn the steeringwheel, pull forward, turn the steeringwheel, backup, turn the steering wheel, pull forward, stop, turn the steering wheel, backup, stop, turn the steering wheel; I think you get the idea where this is going... Also, the thought of the trailbeing mere inches from the side of thecliff was scary as well.

The Moab area is very nice. Arches and Canyonlands National Parks are very scenic. Nice views!!! In my opinion, Utah is overlooked as vacation spots, it has a lot to offer!!Edited by: dsaalease

Sparky Dachshund/Beagle & doxi's Sami & Dexter

Cruiser CF29BT, 08 F250, Lariat

https://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...250DESKTOP.jpg

dsaalease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Sounds like you had plenty of practice backing & steering. We didn't really get on any of these trails because of the crewcab pickup. We have an older Toyota Land Cruiser but it won't pull this trailer. Yes, Utah has many places to see. I want to just go back and look some more!!!!!!!!

Old 02-10-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
Site Team

John:
You made the trip we were planning last spring. We didn't get to go. I ended up at the DR. That was to be the maiden trip with our new 5er.
Maybe this year it will happen. We're talking about it anyway.
Glad to hear you enjoyed it and thanks for sharing with us.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

We are planning a trip there next year any site recommendations?Â*We are going to try to see Arches, Bryce and Zion, before we head to Baker City, OR to visit relatives.Â*
Alicia
truckingx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:01 PM   #9
Site Team

Alicia:
Are you going this summer, or in 2010? We are thinking real strongly of heading out there-- ----late spring, early summer this year.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:31 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Old Farmer:
This year we are going to the Porpupine Mnt. in the UP, Â*May 2010 we are planning to go to Utah & Oregon. If you go I would love to hear about it. My DH's Uncle has been wanting us to come out to OR for years. I have always wanted to see Utah so we'll swing thru on are way.Â*
Alicia

2008 ZF27RL Zinger

Rick & Alicia

Magnum & Rosko
truckingx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:26 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingx2
We are planning a trip there next year any site recommendations?We are going to try to see Arches, Bryce and Zion, before we head to Baker City, OR to visit relatives.

Alicia

Alicia, we did that last summer. What a great vacation!! We also went to Canyonlands while were in the area. There is a lot of great scenery and terrain in the area. Even the windshield time was beautiful. Below is a cut and paste from the old CrossRoads forum with some reccomendations.

The following are my reccomendations for the Utah national parks. While at Moab (Arches & Canyonlands National Parks) we stayed at Canyonlands Campground http://www.canyonlandsrv.com , this is not affiliated with Canyonlands National Park. The campground is on the south end of the strip in Moab and within walking distance of restaurants and shops in Moab. It's a little further from the national parks than some other campgrounds in the area, but cleaner than many other parks and the staff was helpful. We stayed at Pangutch KOA while at Bryce, and wouldn't reccomend it. The KOA was dirty, cramped and staff was indifferent. A better choice may be Ruby's Inn http://www.brycecanyoncampgrounds.com , we didn't stay there but did drive through. Keep in mind the reviews for Ruby's are mixed though. There is a KOA at Canyonville http://www.koa.com/where/ut/44151 that we drove by that looks nice, it would be another possibility. Without a doubt, while at Zion, stay at Zion River Resort http://www.zionriverresort.com . It is a very nice resort setting close to the national park. Zion River Resort is a very new park, the store is terrific, sites are paved, staff was great. The nicest park we have stayed at in a few years!

We thought about staying in the national parks campgrounds, but the lack of hookups, swimming pools and wi-fi connections eliminated them from our choices. We drove though the camp areas in the national parks, and they are very rustic!!

Edited by: dsaalease

Sparky Dachshund/Beagle & doxi's Sami & Dexter

Cruiser CF29BT, 08 F250, Lariat

https://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...250DESKTOP.jpg

dsaalease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

We are going to Utah this Sept for a month. have made our reservations at three camping resorts with full hookup since the NP's don't have these options and are limited for rigg size.I can send you this info if you like. We will be staying in Moab first for hiking & some whitewater rafting, then onto Bryce & then Zion. I'm already researching the hiking trails to see what we can do as they are rated by a color code as well as a full discriptionor (strenuous to easy). I used the web site for Utah National Parks which gives you all the info you are looking for. Please feel free to email me. Karen
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote