Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2009, 02:37 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KHUNLINDA2003
We are leaving a little earlier than usual to head out to San Jose CA and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how driving would be in 3 weeks or so around that area. While conditions vary day to day could I avoid bad roads by going south on I-25? What would you suggest. We usually take I-35 from Minneapolis down to I-40 but that's usually after Christmas. I'm trying to find a shorter way since we don't have a much time this year to get to my husband's client.
KHUNLINDA2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:29 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Is there really any difference in mileage between those two options? Of course you might get snow on I25 anytime between Denver and Santa Fe. Traffic in Denver and Colorado Springs on I25 can be bad at the wrong time of day even in good weather. Also, although small, there is Raton Pass between Co. and NM to climb on I25.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:57 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Weather conditions in Colorado are not much different than Wyoming if you are gonna take a northern route it would be shorter to use I-80 into Salt Lake City the wind can kick up in Wyoming which is a problem.however the wind can be equally bad in Kansas and you have all those tolls to contend with abt$15.00. They have been widening I-25 through the Springs however it still can back up around Colorado Avenue-Bijou area anytime although better at night.Don't drive through Denver in the rush around 0600 0900 in the am and 1500 to 1800 in the pm watch for sporting events it clogs the interchange from I-70 to I 25 cause all the venues are just south of 70 on 25. I-225 would be a better link from 70 south to 25 to get around that however the same rush hours apply.I-70 was closed this week from Kansas to Watkins becauseof blowing snow for about 12 hours so you see it can happen anytime just be aware of the weather it can also be sunny and nice in January its just luck of the draw good luck

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KHUNLINDA2003
thanks for the info. Has anybody done the I35 route and then taken HWY 56 west to I25 to Springer AZ and then down to I40? We've taken HWY 54 to Tucumcari NM and while the road was fine it was only 2 lanes and heavily traveled by 18 wheelers. It was a bit scary to say the least.
KHUNLINDA2003 is offline   Reply With Quote