Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Full hookup. I think not!

While camping at Grayson Highlands in Virginia yesterday an rpod took the site across from us. A gentle man about 65 years young. After watching him set up for an hour I got bored and went in for a snack. Later I decided to take the dog for a walk and noticed he had his sewer pipe ran into the steel water shut off pipe next to the water connection. This campground has water and electric but isn't full hookup. The water pipe is about 8" steel pipe with a steel cover that says WATER and is only about 2 feet deep with a shutoff. So as I was walking the dog I passed the camp host and let him know. He said "oh that's gonna be a mess". It took him about 30 seconds to contact the camper and let him know.
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:03 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

That is disgusting and stupid! I hope the campground owner got there before he opened the black valve. What an idiot! I'd want to move WAY away if he contaminated the water supply and spilled sewage around the site.
What we're seeing is a BIG group of first-time "camper" retired Baby Boomers who have no practical knowledge of electricity, plumbing, or much else who for whatever reason learned nothing during the PDI.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:19 PM   #3
Gone Traveling

We saw a news story a couple years ago that stated that in today's society that the average 40 year old man couldn't change a flat tire even if they knew where the spare was nor did they any idea where/how to check the oil even if they knew how to open the hood & now apparently their buying rvs.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:09 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
We saw a news story a couple years ago that stated that in today's society that the average 40 year old man couldn't change a flat tire even if they knew where the spare was nor did they any idea where/how to check the oil even if they knew how to open the hood & now apparently their buying rvs.
Agree! There are a lot of skills we have based on years of technology (automotive, electronic, simple math skills, etc) that they will never encounter. Seems like an economic opportunity for "camper school!"
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:23 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

And there is also a group right now called "millenials".................same story. No practical "life skills". But if there is a practical life skills "app"......they have it. I usually try to help those new campers struggling. RV's have a learning curve. If you need help, ask. Someone here will always respond and help out.
Igmire01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:18 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Our nation is in a sad state of affairs. We a breeding a nation of helpless individuals who can not think for themselves.

Bert, Cathy, Kylie & Kaitlin
2014 SunsetTrail Reserve 32BH
2009 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4X4 6.6L Duramax
YouTube LetsRV Instagram LetsRV_
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:27 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
While camping at Grayson Highlands in Virginia yesterday an rpod took the site across from us. A gentle man about 65 years young. After watching him set up for an hour I got bored and went in for a snack. Later I decided to take the dog for a walk and noticed he had his sewer pipe ran into the steel water shut off pipe next to the water connection. This campground has water and electric but isn't full hookup. The water pipe is about 8" steel pipe with a steel cover that says WATER and is only about 2 feet deep with a shutoff. So as I was walking the dog I passed the camp host and let him know. He said "oh that's gonna be a mess". It took him about 30 seconds to contact the camper and let him know.
Just curious but how was the campground? We are in the mountains of NC as well (Asheville area) and I have heard about Grayson Highlands and I am just wondering how the drive up was and what kind of room you have to maneuver the rig around in the campground. We are in a relatively short trailer at 28' overall length from bumper to coupler and pulling it with our Sequoia. I would imagine that at the higher elevation it was nice and cool even in the middle of summer.

.... Everyday is a good day for Camping....
Poppabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:53 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
Our nation is in a sad state of affairs. We a breeding a nation of helpless individuals who can not think for themselves.
My team at work (all nerdy technical types) spent the day yesterday volunteering at Habitat for Humanity building homes for Vets. I'm not much of a carpenter, but at least I can drive a nail straight (or maybe nine out of ten are straight). I was shocked to see how many people couldn't whack a nail to save their lives.

One of my pals told me she thought she was having a heart attack because her hand was numb and her whole arm ached. I had to explain to her that the numbness would have been on the other side and that what she was feeling was just the effects of hard work.

These are truly different times.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

It's a nice campground. We've been going there for years. In the evening usually your wearing sweat shirts and pants because it gets cool. You can hike up to see wild ponies. Well their wild but will walk up to you; so maybe not that wild. This is the time of year their having little ones. We saw three very young ones and several looked as if they would give birth at any time. So the camp ground has water and electric and a dump station. Our new 5er is 28' 8" long and we had no problem getting in.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote