Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 06:02 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Gulf Shores, AL here we come!

Taking off Friday morning (retiring from IA DOC on Thursday) and starting our 1st snowbird trip. DW has planned the route so we're not on the road more than 200-250 miles each day so it'll take us several days to get to the gulf.

1st stop - Springfield, IL via I-80 to I-74 to I-55
2nd - Paducah, KY via I-55 to I-64 to I-57 to I-24 to US-68 to US-62
3rd - Athens, AL via I-24 to I-65
4th - Montgomery, AL via I-65
5th- Hello Bay Breeze RV on the Bay!

Staying at KOA campgrounds in Springfield & Paducah, then Northgate RV Travel Park in Athens, and Capital City RV Park in Montgomery. Anyone have any suggestions/comments on any of the above? We welcome any feedback of other snow birders out there.
DJindrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

No suggestions as I'm west coast and haven't done any east coast traveling yet. But wanted to say Congrats on your retirement! Enjoy!
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Congrats but take your time! You have all the time in the world. Spend two or three days at each site. All that set up and move out is too much for just a sleepover.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:09 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Paducah is just over an hour from me. Beautiful area. KY Lake and Land Between The Lakes is very nice. Depending on how much time you have, you may wish to reconsider your KOA stop.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:27 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Paducah is a nice town. Tim is right in saying that Land Between the Lakes is a really nice federal park if you have time to check it out. Canal Campground is a COE campground in Grand Rivers, KY at the northern tip of LBL and is only about 25 or 30 miles east of Paducah. Patti's 1880s is located in Grand Rivers as well, and is well worth checking out. Reservations are typically necessary for dinner, but it is definitely worth it. There are a couple more nice campgrounds located inside LBL: Hillman's Ferry and Piney.

As for Gulf Shores, if you like seafood, Desoto's Seafood House is by far the best seafood in the area. There is a really nice state park in Gulf Shores as well.

If you aren't just dead set on going down I-65, I would suggest taking US 45 down through Mississippi. It is four lane all the way through MS, and you will only have about 40 miles of two lane between the AL border and Mobile. It is MUCH faster because there is very little traffic compared to I-65. That's your call. I had never taken the US45 route until this past summer, but it's definitely the way to go.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:48 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions...the countdown to Friday continues. Planning to spend an extra day in Springfield to visit the Lincoln museum and DW wants to see a quilt museum in Paducah, but had no plans to do anything else before we hit the beach. But that Land Between the Lakes sounds like it's definitely worth the time. We'll see how much of this rain follows us down south.

Haven't visited my sister in Gulf Shores for a while so hadn't heard of Desoto's - another addition to the list - thanks!

Our route isn't cast in stone - yet - but if I'm not mistaken, Mike, isn't there a tunnel on I-10 that links Mobile to the east side of the bay? Not sure about that.

Speaking of lists, Steve, we haven't made it to the West Coast yet either but it's on our bucket list once we get used to 5th wheeling.

Dave & Pam
DJindrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:47 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

We stayed here last summer on our way to Destin, Fl. Really nice park.

Whittington Woods Campground at Benton (formerly Benton Best Holiday Trav-L-Park)

2009 CT31RL

2016 Chevrolet 2500HD High Country

Hensley Hitch
ajlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:24 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike06081969 View Post
Paducah is a nice town. Tim is right in saying that Land Between the Lakes is a really nice federal park if you have time to check it out. Canal Campground is a COE campground in Grand Rivers, KY at the northern tip of LBL and is only about 25 or 30 miles east of Paducah. Patti's 1880s is located in Grand Rivers as well, and is well worth checking out. Reservations are typically necessary for dinner, but it is definitely worth it. There are a couple more nice campgrounds located inside LBL: Hillman's Ferry and Piney.
Patti's 1880 is a great place for lunch. Always busy but no reservations needed for lunch. Go hungry. There house specialty is a 2 inch pork chop! Delicious! You could take wife to the quilt museum and then to Patti's for lunch or dinner. She would love it. You would love the eats. Quilts are not my thing, but a Man has to do what a Man has to do.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:17 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJindrich View Post
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions...the countdown to Friday continues. Planning to spend an extra day in Springfield to visit the Lincoln museum and DW wants to see a quilt museum in Paducah, but had no plans to do anything else before we hit the beach. But that Land Between the Lakes sounds like it's definitely worth the time. We'll see how much of this rain follows us down south.

Haven't visited my sister in Gulf Shores for a while so hadn't heard of Desoto's - another addition to the list - thanks!

Our route isn't cast in stone - yet - but if I'm not mistaken, Mike, isn't there a tunnel on I-10 that links Mobile to the east side of the bay? Not sure about that.

Speaking of lists, Steve, we haven't made it to the West Coast yet either but it's on our bucket list once we get used to 5th wheeling.

Dave & Pam
Yes, there is a tunnel. I thought about that after I went to bed last night. We didn't take the camper this summer and were in a Suburban, but I do think that tunnel may have limited clearance. You might be able to check it out online to be sure. There was a lot of road work on I65 back in the summer around Birmingham that was causing long delays, so that is why we decided to try the US45 route.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:34 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

I use the tunnel twice a year towing the TT, no issues.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:00 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

north of Gulf Shores is a town called Foley, lots of shopping.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:26 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Darn...wish I would have seen this post earlier as I would have recommended DoubleJ campground south of springfield instead of the KOA. The KOA is a real treat to get to and in my opinion is a bit run down. I have heard possibly that new owners will take over after the first of the year and maybe give the ole campground some new life. Anyway, some great places in springfield to eat...use the yelp app to find food. I would also try the Cozy Dog...on old 66....congrats on retirement.

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote