Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2016, 03:58 PM   #41
Full Time Camper

great pics as usual LO !

That glacier looks as if the lines were painted nice and symmetrical on the surface (guess it was in reality )
Old 07-10-2016, 06:51 AM   #42
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Good luck. So how many tires have you gone through. I've always heard to take a spare and two extra.
After we had the flat, we replaced that tire so we would still have our spare. Then a few days later, when we were in Whitehorse, my husband noticed the remaining tires were showing signs of wear. Not wanting to risk any more flats, he went ahead and replaced the remaining three.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:13 AM   #43
Full Time Camper

Hopefully you won't have any more blow. So what is the planned return date?

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #44
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Hopefully you won't have any more blow. So what is the planned return date?
We are actually on our way home. We are in BC, going to Calgary, AB tomorrow. We want to be in Sudbury, ON by next Satruday as some of our friends will be there for a music festival. We may stay an extra day, we don't know. We should be home a week tomorrow I think.

I am going to do a debrief later and will post that, along with suggestions.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:59 PM   #45
Full Time Camper

Safe travels

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 07-31-2016, 12:31 PM   #46
Full Time Camper

Alaska Trip De-brief

Trip Stats

Distance traveled: 17,000 km. (over 10,000 miles)
Fuel consumption (diesel): 13 – 14 mpg Canadian/10 – 12 mpg U.S.
Length of trip – 48 days

Roads

This is the one thing everyone always wants to know about – about the road conditions. You can expect to come up to some construction along the way, often a long stretch with a pilot car. You can expect to lose up to half an hour at one of these. It only happened to us once, north of Fort Nelson, where we had to wait. The second time we came across a long construction area was between Destruction Bay, YT and Whitehorse, and since it was a holiday, they were not working so we just drove through.

Most of the roads are good. Scott went last year and mentioned the Cassiar Highway was particularly bad at the north end. They have since re-paved that area and when we went through, the road was awesome. So whatever condition I say they are in this year, things could change by next year.

Most of the roads are quite good. Even the Top of the World Highway between Dawson City and Tok wasn’t too bad, although most of it was gravel. The Taylor Highway, which is on the U.S. side of this road, was somewhat worse, with steep drop-offs and narrow, gravel roads. Slow down is the order of the day.

Most of the bad bumps or frost heaves are marked with a red flag, but not all of them. If you see some skid marks on pavement where there is a frost heave, be especially careful!

The absolute worst road we encountered was the Tok Cut-off, between Glennallen and Tok. Had we known it was this bad, we would have taken the long way around through Delta Junction. The road is paved, but the frost heaves are very bad. We actually got a small crack on the side of our trailer as a result.

Weather

The weather for us was mostly good, temperatures in the high teens and low twenties Celsius during the day and low teens at night. We were in Fairbanks for the summer solstice. It never really got dark, just dusk and then dawn. I covered the bedroom window with Reflectix.

Unfortunately, we had rain from the time we left BC till we got to Sault Ste Marie ON. Jasper was just clouds and rain so we missed the scenery there, which is too bad because this area is particularly beautiful. We had been in this area before a number of years back, so it wasn’t as big a loss.

Mosquitoes

We saw very few. We get way more of these in Ontario than we ever saw on our trip to Alaksa. We only went on a couple of short hikes in Denali and even then we didn’t see very many. I had stocked up on repellant and hardly used any! If we had gone deep into the bush, we most likely would have seen more of them.

Where we went

We drove to Edmonton, AB, then to Dawson Creek, Fort Nelson, Liard Hotsprings, Watson Lake, Whitehorse, Dawson City, Tok, Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage (side day-trip to Whittier), Valdez, Tok again, Whitehorse again, Watson Lake again, Stewart BC, Prince George, Valemount, Calgary, then east.

Dates

We left June 1 and returned home July 18. We stopped two nights in Sudbury to visit friends on the way out and again on the way home, and two nights in Edmonton. The rest of the trip we would spend a few days at certain destinations, and just one night if we were just going through. Most of the beautiful scenery is along the way, and a lot of places really have nothing to see where it would be worth staying an extra night.

We spent two nights at Dawson Creek, one at Liard Hotsprings (at the Liard Hotsprings Lodge RV Park, not the Provincial Park), one night at Watson Lake, two at Whitehorse, three at Dawson City, one at Tok, two at Fairbanks, three at Denali, two at Anchorage, three at Valdez, one at Tok, three at Whitehorse (took at day trip to Skagway and also got new tires for the trailer), one near Watson Lake, one on the way to Stewart, two in Stewart, one in Prince George, one in Valemount, and then to Calgary and home. We spent two nights again in Sudbury on the way through to visit friends.

What not to miss

- The visitor centre in Fairbanks – seriously, this is a very interesting place. The display about living in this part of the world is very enlightening.
- Valdez – beautiful spot, interesting history, you can walk right up to a glacier there (Worthington Glacier) and touch it. If we had been there two weeks earlier, like mid-June, we would have seen eagles being fed.
- Stewart – glacier nearby, bears catching fish if you come later in the summer (we were too early)
- Denali
- Dawson City – very cute town right out of the Gold Rush era

Other notes, suggestions, etc.

If you go from Dawson City to Tok via the Top of the World Highway, you have to take a ferry across the Yukon River. The ferry is free but very small. It can only take about two rigs. We arrived at 6:50 a.m. and got right on. Later on in the day you can wait for hours, especially if there is a caravan in town.

Definitely get a copy of the Milepost. The book about campgrounds is very out-dated. A lot of the information no longer applied. The Milepost mentions a lot of campgrounds in it. So suit yourself on the campground book.

We tend to reserve a few days before we get to a place. We don’t reserve too far ahead because we often make changes to our trip plan as we go. We had not initially planned to go to Valdez, but a stranger suggested we go there. We are very glad we did.

You meet people all along the way – in campgrounds, at attractions, etc. We have made many friends in a lot of our travels. When you do a trip like this you often meet the same people again and again as you all follow the same route.

A lot of people go fishing while in Alaska. We don’t fish, but from what I hear the fishing is very good in Alaska & surrounding area. Trout and Salmon seem to be the fish most people go after. There is fishing in the rivers and streams and also in the sea.

Internet is a scarce commodity when you are on the road. Most campgrounds advertise it, but few have very good internet. This is par for the course no matter where you go, whether it be Alaska or anywhere else. We came across good campground internet at just a few places. I used my cellphone for internet some of the time, but cell service is also scarce. You will find it at the major centres, but in the boonies it is non-existent. One good place to find internet is at most visitor centres. The one in Fairbanks even had desks with plug-ins as well as computers you can use.

Whittier was an interesting little place. It is accessed by way of a one lane tunnel which is shared with trains. Of course the trains have right of way. On the hour the tunnel is open in one direction and on the half hour it is open in the other direction. Most of the people in Whittier live in one building, a 14 storey condo apartment building. There is also a huge building which was built by the army in 1953 and was a “city under one roof”, then they abandoned it in 1966. It is now derelict and vacant.

We brought extra supplies in case some things were hard to come by or very expensive, but found that to be not the case. The prices of most things were not really out of line.

We met some people along the way who had decided to boondock at Walmart in Anchorage. They were awakened at 3 a.m., booted out, and given a stiff fine. So don’t boondock there.

There are many pull-outs, rest stops and parking areas all along the way, but you are not supposed to overnight in most of them, according to the Milepost. Besides there being campgrounds in or near the major centers, there are a number of lodges which have added a few camp sites as well. Most of these are pretty easy to get in and out of.

There are many campgrounds capable of accommodating big rigs, so finding a campsite to fit your rig is never a problem. If you are somewhere and there is a caravan in town, then camp sites may be hard to find. This is why we reserve a few days ahead.

I did a map of where we went but it is in pdf format so I don't know how to post it.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:09 PM   #47
Full Time Camper

Great write up Loanoak!! I've been following you along the way. Glad you had a great trip.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:28 PM   #48
Weekend Camper

What an adventure Loneoak !!!!!!! I'm new here and just read through your complete post. This is also on our bucket list and plan to do a similar trip in 2019. All your info on the roads helps out a lot since that has always had me worried. I did get rid of my Marathons last year so hopefully the G's will hold out.
I noted the months you did your journey but are those your preferred months now that the trip is over or would you recommend anything different?

Steve
Old 08-01-2016, 04:19 AM   #49
Full Time Camper

Great write up thank you
Old 08-01-2016, 04:51 AM   #50
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Char View Post
What an adventure Loneoak !!!!!!! I'm new here and just read through your complete post. This is also on our bucket list and plan to do a similar trip in 2019. All your info on the roads helps out a lot since that has always had me worried. I did get rid of my Marathons last year so hopefully the G's will hold out.
I noted the months you did your journey but are those your preferred months now that the trip is over or would you recommend anything different?

Steve
We were told that if you go earlier you will see more bugs but also more wildlife, and vice versa if you go later. We saw very few bugs, and most of the wildlife we saw along the road was at the beginning of our trip between Liard Hotsprings and Watson Lake. The wildlife at Denali was a given, but all pictures taken by zooming in quite a bit. We also saw very few bugs.

We missed the eagle feeding in Valdez because we were too late (by two weeks) and the bears fishing for Salmon near Stewart, BC because we were too early by two weeks. We wanted to get back home for a family function July 30 so we did not want to extend our trip too much.

I wish we had driven around Whittier a bit rather than just park and walk along the shore, but I did not know what an interesting place it was until we got back and I looked it up.

I also wish we had detoured to Delta Junction instead of taking the Tok Cutoff to Tok, but we did not know how bad that road was until we were on it.

If you want to spend some time fishing and still see all the sights, then you would want to plan for a longer stay. If you want to drive down the Kenai Peninsula, then you would need to add for that as well.

I guess if we were to do this trip again then we would probably reverse things and do Valdez and Anchorage before heading to Fairbanks, Tok and Dawson City. Tok is like the hub of a figure 8 and if you are driving to or from Alaska you go through Tok. So you can go south first or north first. Valdez first would mean we could see the eagle feeding.

I guess it also depends on how much time you have available. We are retired, so holiday time is not an issue. In case the family function was an issue.

I hope this helps.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #51
Site Team

I have been following your thread/travels. It looks like you folks had a very nice trip. Not totally uneventful, but some issues are to be expected I guess.

You did a very nice write up and posted some nice pictures.
Thank you for sharing with all of us.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:31 PM   #52
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I have been following your thread/travels. It looks like you folks had a very nice trip. Not totally uneventful, but some issues are to be expected I guess.

You did a very nice write up and posted some nice pictures.
Thank you for sharing with all of us.
Thanks very much, Lloyd!

Old 08-04-2016, 09:24 PM   #53
Full Time Camper

Enjoyed going to Alaska with you through your post. Thanks for sharing and glad you had a good safe trip. I hope to make the drive one day from NC.