Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

More Alaska questions

I've read all the other posts I could find, but mainly looking for best/worse roads to get from USA to Alaska; things to take with you/leave at home; favorite campgrounds; and the big question...money. Not so much as how much all of this will cost, but more along the lines of did you carry all cash? Travelers Checks? Stop at ATMs/Banks and draw out small amounts of cash?? I know I can work with a 90 day supply of prescription medicine, and the fact that the USPS will only hold mail for 30 days, but any advice or comments from previous travelers would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and mosquitos? What would be a good time of year to avoid these little beggers? I had planned on traveling maybe July/August/September.

Bob
Old 12-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Bob, no personal experience but it
loogie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

More Alaska questions

Bob, again having a hard time getting the hang of this. Had a friend that took the trip over 20+ yrs ago & one that drove for Wally World.
you might try a site "My Alaska News". Looks mostly like a CofC site but some info.
Welcome to the forum, good luck & if you go let us know your finding.

Mike, Sandi & Lulu(The Ewok from Starwars)
loogie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

In 2005 we left Indiana mid June and spent all of July in Alaska towing our 36' fifth wheel. All of Canada & Alaskan main roads we traveled were very good with the exception of the perma frost heaves and construction zones. At that time the Top Of The World highway from Dawson City to Tok was gravel but I have heard it is now hard surface. If you stay on the Alaskan Highway, you could avoid that if desired. We also took the Campbell Highway (gravel) from Watson Lake towards Dawson City. All other roads were hard surfaced we traveled. Fuel up in major cities when possible.
Campgrounds are in every major city you can drive to, but you would be advised to call ahead or make online contact. Most campgrounds had wifi. Most people pull in by 3pm.
Many campgrounds are like parking lots but have facilities!
We don't use ATM so carried some travelers checks, cash & credit cards which were accepted most everywhere.
Take your time, relax, slow down at times and enjoy your trip. You will see some really beautiful country and find that some of the wild stories of how bad the highways and mosquitoes are is a little overstated. We really had no bug problem and weather varied from high of 95 in Fairbanks to low of 50 in Seward. Oh, one more thing everyone travels with is a Milepost book which gives mile by mile description. We drove 13,000 miles with one flat tire.
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
Site Team

That's a nice post Carl.
Should give the op some pertinent info.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

One thing many don't think of is make sure you alert your credit card and bank that you will be travelling through Alaska and Canada during these times so they don't lock your card thinking it's been scammed.

Also check out the Alaska and Canada forum on rv.net for a lot more info. Happy trails.

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Alaska tips

Thanks to everyone for all of the comments. Still planning the trip, but I think we''ll leave Texas sometime between July 15th and August 1st, but that's not set in concrete. And I may be shooting myself in the foot, but I think we'll just take it easy and not make camping reservations until we're closer to arriving somewhere. I might get stuck somewhere on the way up (and back) and want to stay for a few days.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

That is a good idea far as reservations, Bob. We didn't make arrangements until we knew for sure where & when we would be someplace. Usually that meant one day ahead & had no problems.
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

I went on a 6 week trip to Newfoundland this past summer and never had a reservation, and always found a spot even camping along side the shore or at a lake.
Was in western Canada 2 yrs ago ..again without reservations and also got spots...maybe luck but it worked, as we never know how far we will be going on any day. Hope your Alaska trip works well for you...thats our trip in 2 yrs.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote