Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
New Camper

We are headed to Mt. Rushmore this summer. Any campground suggestions? We are looking at Spokane Creek campground. Any "must sees" besides Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse?
bandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

I cannot personally recommend any campgrounds...but Custer National Park should bea must see...and the state has a fish hatchery in Rapid City that is a fun see, for kids especially.

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Rafter J Bar Ranch in Hill City is 8 miles from Mount Rushmore,We stay there a few times & liked it there.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
New Camper

Thank you. We will make sure to see Custer National Park, and will check out the Rafter J Bar Ranch. Are there any preferred entrances to Mt. Rushmore? One article I read talked about tunnels and low ceilings on the roads. I figured the main roads into the park would be fine.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

We stayed at Rafter J and loved it. Close to both Rushmore and Crazy Horse.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:56 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandman
Thank you. We will make sure to see Custer National Park, and will check out the Rafter J Bar Ranch. Are there any preferred entrances to Mt. Rushmore? One article I read talked about tunnels and low ceilings on the roads. I figured the main roads into the park would be fine.Â*
We went to the Sturgis Rally in '96 and I don't remember the route to Mt Rushmore but I do remember the tunnels on the road to it. It seems when you leave each tunnel Mt Rushmore is framed in the tunnel exit, it was incredible.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:07 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Bandman,
Whatever you do with those tunnels be aware of things like this;

http://www.prochan.com/embed?f=e53_1351184775

This is 1/2 of the reason I bought the Magellan for RV's. It let's you put the heighth of your vehicles in and if you are on a road where there is an overpass or obstruction it will tell you. In all honesty I forgot to turn it off of Tow Mode, and I was heading to a golf course in MI on a single lane backroad and the Magellan kept telling me I couldn't drive on the road...of course it thought I had my TT behind me. And trust me, I would not have wanted to have it behind me on that road. I think in time it will pay for itself.

JMHO,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

The road to Rushmore off of I90 is simple. The tunnels are on 16A (alernitve...senic) lots of twists one lane tunnles. Took our old 28' TT (no slides=lower)thru but DW was nervous,leave trailer in CG.
Keystone is interesting sometimes "cowboys" walk down center of street snapping whips or shooting pistols to drum-up guests to see their show. Lots of good day hiking (Harney Peak). Bear Country,Reptile Gardens are both interesting and not just "tourist traps". Many places to stay most recently was at "Presedents" near the city of Custer.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #9
New Camper

Just started towards Rushmore and finding tunnels middle of the road. Well, looking for a "Cowboys" in middle of the road where I can see some interesting adventurous things by them.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

The Black Hills of South Dakota are an annual trip for my wife and I. Having been there a number of times for the ever popular Sturgis Rally, we now make sure to plan around it. The rally is just simply to busy to really enjoy all the hills have to offer. Do not try to see everything in a single trip.....it will not happen. To experience the hills and all it has to offer will take more than one trip to complete.

I have enclosed a link to the Traveler magazine. Lots of good info to what is going on and things to see. http://www.easternglow.com/traveler/

Spokan Creek, Rafter Bar J along with all the other private campgrounds are nice, but do notover lookthe statecampgrounds. Our favorite happens to be locatedinside CusterPark. Game Lodge campgroundoffers beautiful views along with wild life abound.....andwill offer the best overallexperience of the hills. http://gfp.sd.gov/state-parks/direct...e/default.aspx

If you or others have any questions, please feel free to send me a message and my wife and I would be happy to offer what we know of the Black Hills area.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:05 AM   #11
New Camper

Great information! Thank you very much. We're starting to get excited about the trip, and July seems a long way off!