Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 08:25 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Nice camping spots around Colorado Springs?

We’re thinking about taking our little travel trailer out to Colorado this fall, we would like to stay around the Colorado Springs area. I must admit that I haven’t done much research yet as far as good places to stay…….I thought I would ask you guys first to see if I could get some good suggestions before I spend hours online reading through reviews.

I’d like to find a place with a nice view, and not too far out in the sticks. We’d probably stay for 4-6 days. Any good campground that you would recommend I take a look at when I’m doing my research and reading through reviews?
IQRaceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:41 AM   #2
Gone Traveling

If you have kids the KOA in Fountain in the past had lots of evening activities for them, a couple years ago our granddaughter had a blast while we stayed there.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

IQ, just beware that fall season is the start of the hunting seasons. Some campgrounds in national forest may have hunters in them if you decide on that. As for in a town as previous mentioned of Fountain you'll be ok. Enjoy.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

We leave This Thursday for Durango and then Garden of the Gods campround in Colo Springs... will let you know what we find

We just park the rv and use the jeep to get up into the mountains !

ready for some cooler weather than TexUS
Old 07-25-2016, 11:15 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

johnoytoo, did you find your off roading you were looking for while in Durango? What route from Durango to Garden of Gods are you taking?
Old 07-25-2016, 01:37 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

How big is your camper and what is "too far out"?

One of my favorite places is 11 mile Canyon (not the reservoir). It is about an hour away from COS, but great location.

Thunder Ridge / Meadow Ridge are both nearby above the city. National? Parks run those. There is a resort or two near Manitou Springs that are always busy (Pikes Peak Park and Garden of Gods Resort)
Old 07-25-2016, 04:48 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbaZabba View Post
How big is your camper and what is "too far out"?
One of my favorite places is 11 mile Canyon (not the reservoir). It is about an hour away from COS, but great location.
Thunder Ridge / Meadow Ridge are both nearby above the city. National? Parks run those. There is a resort or two near Manitou Springs that are always busy (Pikes Peak Park and Garden of Gods Resort)
I'm supplying the first few rounds of bourbon and coke @ the campground

Quote:
Originally Posted by acftphd View Post
johnoytoo, did you find your off roading you were looking for while in Durango? What route from Durango to Garden of Gods are you taking?

Actually found too many possible jeep rides...
I can't decide so we may have to stop all the touristy stuff like pikes peak, GoG, Cheyenne Mountain, silverton train. rafting, etc...
but we have Sun-Mon open...

I am game for any route to CoS,
but we are meeting some people in Durango and running over to CoS with them... last time he followed me, he let me get out of sight and got lost - so will probably take the safest slowest route they are cool, fun people, but driving a coach, well he SHOULD drive slowly

so probably back down to Durango, then pagosa springs and thru Salida - I guess it didn't register when I first looked that it was 300+ miles, so it's going to be a haul !

Where in Colo are you? we will be in durango Sat 7/30 going to Cos 8/3 and leaving there Sat 8/6 with stops on the way back @ Palo Duro Canyon - Amarillo...