Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2018, 03:15 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Reservations

we will be traveling along I90 from Minnesota to Washington (state) the last half of may through the first half of June. Should we make reservations at campgrounds? The next leg of our trip will be I80 from Nevada to east Wyoming and then I70 Denver to Mid Kansas and finally I40 from Oklahoma City to Nashville. Same question re reservations.
priceky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I would not bother I never make reservations and have never had a hard time getting a spot even in peak times . You never know if you will turn left or right at a fork in the road , so just wing it . But that is me ..some people over think travelling ..just go and explore.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:44 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

If your considering a popular area, or a popular time such as a holiday weekend, I suggest you make reservations. You can call and ask about availability and make decisions then. We went on a six week trip and made reservations at the popular campgrounds, and called the day before we left for the others. We were able to delay our reservations by a day when we decided to spend an extra day at the place prior. Know the cancellation policies. Some take a days payment up front, some don’t even ask for a credit card. Be polite though, and call if you need to cancel or reschedule. Now if you don’t have a set route more or less, you’ll have to wing it.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:39 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I loved it when we could just wing it way back when, but now days in the south, everything 'that meets HER standards' is booked almost a year in advance...

Maybe not a year literally , butwe leave next week for the Ky bourbon trail and we got the last spot at the campground we wanted to stay at by calling 2 months in advance! (Priceky - you have hookups at the house we can use while you are gone? )

Now if it were up to me, we'd wing it, but we might not end up in the prettiest of places
"RV shipments for 2017 totaled 504,599 units, an increase of 17.2% compared to 2016. The growth this year makes eight consecutive years of wholesale shipments growth since the industry has bounced back "

they all have to stay somewhere !

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...nt=firefox-b-1
Old 05-02-2018, 12:51 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

We always map out our trips and make reservations well in advance. Heck, I even map out my filling stations along the way. With my former tow vehicle we had to fill up every 4 hours or so (26 gallon tank x 7-8 miles mpg towing) and driving out west we had many a days when the filling stations were few and far between.

I saw Harley's comment and not sure if that is universally applicable geographically. You need to be aware of where you are planning to stay and events in the area.. Try booking even a 1 night stay around Charlotte during a NASCAR event. By the same token, we've rolled into campgrounds in Davenport Iowa in the middle of the night and had our pick of the place ...We've been stuck driving too many times to chance it anymore and frankly, booking online is so easy anymore, my wife can look for campgrounds, look at ratings and book right from her phone while were traveling.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:45 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
I loved it when we could just wing it way back when, but now days in the south, everything 'that meets HER standards' is booked almost a year in advance...

Maybe not a year literally , butwe leave next week for the Ky bourbon trail and we got the last spot at the campground we wanted to stay at by calling 2 months in advance! (Priceky - you have hookups at the house we can use while you are gone? )

Now if it were up to me, we'd wing it, but we might not end up in the prettiest of places
"RV shipments for 2017 totaled 504,599 units, an increase of 17.2% compared to 2016. The growth this year makes eight consecutive years of wholesale shipments growth since the industry has bounced back "

they all have to stay somewhere !

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...nt=firefox-b-1
Wow, you are coming to my house I'm within15 minutes of Jim Beam, Heaven Hill and Bartons 30 minutes over to Buffalo trace. The campgrounds will still be full of KY derby leftovers also doing the bourbon trail,hope you enjoy yourself. I would of liked to have met up with you but unfortunately we leave out next Friday for Fort Myers and Sanibel Island.
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

oh man !!!
c ya next time

Any last minute pointers ?

breakfast places, dinner places ? etc....
Old 05-03-2018, 06:54 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

What campground you staying at? There's a dinner train in Bardstown that's pretty good. Your coming all this way Mammoth cave is well worth a visit. The corvette museum is in Bowling-Green, don't forget a drive by to the Super Duty plant.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:55 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty glampers View Post
What campground you staying at? There's a dinner train in Bardstown that's pretty good. Your coming all this way Mammoth cave is well worth a visit. The corvette museum is in Bowling-Green, don't forget a drive by to the Super Duty plant.
All were booked, but found sites at White Acres
good ideas ! thanks !

(to the original poster - apologies for the redirect on your thread !)

Old 05-05-2018, 06:02 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Yeah,sorry for the hi-jack. We always make reservations like someone said you never know what's going on in the place you want to stop or stay. What part of KY or you in?