Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
Kab
Weekend Camper

South for winter

For those that winter in the south , do you take your RV or do you rent or own a place.
We found the 1800 mile drive in the winter just too long so it was easier to buy a place and wasn’t more expensive than renting an RV spot for 4 months but most of our neighbors do bring their RV. We live in a mixed use zoning neighborhood in Yuma.
Kab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:51 PM   #2
Site Team

When we were wintering in AZ. we did it both ways. We took the RV the first 2 or 3 years. Then we bought a place there in Apache Junction. Sold it the second year and went back to the 5th wheel the next year.
We had mixed feelings on leaving our place set there unattended for most of the year. There was a fair amount of break ins during the summer months. Plus some vandalism. Even tho it was a gated and supposedly secure community. They just came over the back wall at night. We also liked to be able to move around if we so desired.
Lloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:17 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

This is our first year wintering with the fifth wheel in Apache junction. We're just a little over 1200 miles, but we have been concerned about pulling in cold weather. Suppose to be -6° to +6° in Gallup NM. when we'll go thru there. That's cold... and I know things break in cold temps.
Travelin Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:17 PM   #4
Site Team

My sister and brother in law left today from the St louis area for the Alabama coast. They will stay in there class C motorhome if its not too cold or a motel if it is. Was talking to them before they left about finding Gas open as they usually leave on new years day and they have never had any problems.

My Parents have both passed but they wintered in southern Texas. At first they would pull there camper down but eventually got a small car for gas mileage and bought a mobile home there. They never had any problems but that was maybe 20 years ago. Now is a different story.

To any and all traveling south have a safe trip
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:01 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I'm afraid Alabama coast wouldn't be warm enough for me. We went to Port Aransas TX couple of years ago and there was some pretty cool days. But the pull is a lot easier. If Az pans out to be a hard pull we may have to give P.A. another try. That's what's great about fifth wheels and travel trailers.
Travelin Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:45 PM   #6
Site Team

That's the good thing about campers. If you don't like where you are there are roads to anywhere. I find its not the destination but the journey.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote