Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Tennessee Roads and HIghways

We will be traveling from North Carolina to Tennessee. Our route looks to be on Interstate 40 and State Route 339 in Tennessee. Has anyone used these two roads?

2016 Crossroads 291 RL Z-1
2015 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi Outdoorsman
www.wildlifeupclose.com
moore_rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:48 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

The shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line, that route looks anything but straight!!
Been on I-40 & cut across somewhere, but not sure what road it was on.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:54 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

This is the shortest route. but I'm wondering if anyone has taken this route and how the mountains are and the turns.

www.wildlifeupclose.com
Old 06-19-2017, 07:20 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Well I live in NC. And there's no straight lines. Seriously though I've driven I40 from I77 to Tenn. Depending on what part of Tenn your going. For me living in Alleghany I either have to drive North then West or South then West. I40 is a good road except for Black Mountain which is a little steep but isn't that bad. Depending on what part of NC your driving from but 40 is the major interstate. You will be fine.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:20 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I 40 is fine so long as no one wrecks through the gorge. I have been stuck on 40 for hours before because there are no exits for a good stretch. Looks like you are headed to pigeon forge/Gatlinburg area. The few times we have taken the camper there I go I40 on up to 411 and go right past the big Bush's baked beans factory. We live just south of Asheville NC and the other way I go (definitely without the camper) is accross the Blueridge parkway over to 441 through Cherokee and back up accross Newfound Gap over Clingmans Dome. Very scenic and right through the heart of the smokey mountains and dumps you out right in Gatlinburg

.... Everyday is a good day for Camping....
Poppabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:28 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
I 40 is fine so long as no one wrecks through the gorge. I have been stuck on 40 for hours before because there are no exits for a good stretch. Looks like you are headed to pigeon forge/Gatlinburg area. The few times we have taken the camper there I go I40 on up to 411 and go right past the big Bush's baked beans factory. We live just south of Asheville NC and the other way I go (definitely without the camper) is accross the Blueridge parkway over to 441 through Cherokee and back up accross Newfound Gap over Clingmans Dome. Very scenic and right through the heart of the smokey mountains and dumps you out right in Gatlinburg
We are actually heading east from Pigeon Forge. We will be going to Pigeon Forge from Northern Virginia and then heading towards Rocky Mount after Pigeon Forge.
What about Black Mountain, James? Heading East, is it not too bad in the mountains?

www.wildlifeupclose.com
Old 06-19-2017, 07:29 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I'd avoid the Blue Ridge Parkway with a camper. Slow going at 45 MPH and tourist looking at everything.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 06-19-2017, 07:32 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

If I was going to Rocky Mount from Gatlinburg definitely I40 East is the way to go.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:34 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

We won't be near Blue Ridge Parkway. It's one I am avoiding. Thanks Papa-T

www.wildlifeupclose.com
Old 06-19-2017, 07:41 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Maybe 321 to 40 to 540 to 64 if I was going with a camper.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:59 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Yeah nothing wrong with 40 eastbound. Might try and avoid coming through Asheville around 5pm you might get some traffic, but other than that you will probably be smooth sailing. 40 does not have too steep of grades to pull and going east you will be going downhill at Old Fort which is pretty steep.

.... Everyday is a good day for Camping....
Poppabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:27 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

I've never been on 339. Looks like a straighter shot but might be slower depending on the road. I would go 411 or 321 to 40 unless someone that's been on 339 gives you a good report. Sometimes just like in Virginia just because it looks quicker doesn't mean it's better. Good luck and let us know how the trip goes.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:44 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

I live in the area, I wouldnt use 339. I'd use 441, which is wider and straighter but can still suffer from odd traffic jams.

Also, depending on when you come you might be better off staying on 40 and getting off at exit 407 to go Hwy 66. This is the normal route and is 3 lanes wide in most places.

411 and exit 407 both dump you in the same place in Sevierville so no issue there.

Alternative route: Just before downtown Sevierville, Off 411 is Veterans Parkway. If you take that you bypass a good chunk of the touristy stuff and end up in the middle of Pigeon Forge. The road is wide and easily traveled. Then you can save seeing all the places you'll spend money till when you arent pulling a trailer.
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:41 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

And don't be in a rush going 40 west out of Asheville, it's a beautiful area as you probably know

drop the rv off and take your truck thru the Jeep trail down hurricane creek near clyde nc in the Harmon Den wildlife area for some GEE-OR-GEOUS forest trails !
Old 06-20-2017, 01:39 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

I would not take 339 at all if I were towing. If not towing, this is a great road to take. It is a two lane road, narrow, no shoulder and will have lots of local and tourist traffic. Take I-40 as much as you can. It may take longer, but if you're towing, I would take main roads. Use Google maps, then drop the little yellow man on the road and then you can see the actual road from eye level. The road is winding and has some nice curves.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:19 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ198 View Post
I would not take 339 at all if I were towing. If not towing, this is a great road to take. It is a two lane road, narrow, no shoulder and will have lots of local and tourist traffic. Take I-40 as much as you can. It may take longer, but if you're towing, I would take main roads. Use Google maps, then drop the little yellow man on the road and then you can see the actual road from eye level. The road is winding and has some nice curves.
When we travel that week we will be leaving Northern Virginia and going to Pigeon Forge. then we will be going from Pigeon Forge to Plymouth, NC. So it's an eastbound trip from Pigeon Forge.

www.wildlifeupclose.com
Old 06-20-2017, 05:03 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

I ended up on 339 going from Asheville to pigeon forge, please stay away from this road when towing. It was a very curvy, tight two lane mountain road that seemed to never end. What part of TN are you heading to?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Ashevegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:09 PM   #18
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashevegas View Post
I ended up on 339 going from Asheville to pigeon forge, please stay away from this road when towing. It was a very curvy, tight two lane mountain road that seemed to never end. What part of TN are you heading to?

We are heading to Pigeon Forge. Taking 81 south from Virginia. Then we will be going from Pigeon Forge to Williamston, NC. So it's an eastbound trip from Pigeon Forge.

www.wildlifeupclose.com
Old 06-20-2017, 05:13 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

Leaving pigeon forge to come home, I went out 441 to Sevierville, and got on 40 from there. It added a few miles but definitely worth it

Ashevegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:07 PM   #20
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashevegas View Post
Leaving pigeon forge to come home, I went out 441 to Sevierville, and got on 40 from there. It added a few miles but definitely worth it

That's what I was looking at. Seems the easiest and safest route. We are in no hurry, so the long, safe route is the best. thanks for the help!!!

www.wildlifeupclose.com