Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

We are traveling to Durango CO next month from Houston. Our plans are to spend a few days in Durango and then drive to Ouray and Silverton (no trailer).

Our days are short drives starting Houston(Wichita falls, Palo Duro state park, Albuquerque, Durango), so we could see some sites along the way and try out some restaurants.

Any suggestions for places we shouldn'tmiss along the way or in Durango, Ouray and Silverton would be great.We enjoy hikes and interesting towns and mountain sites. I have a 5th wheel so need to stay on main roads too. No kids this trip, just us and baby dog.

If you have any road information or suggestions, that would help. Plans are to go 287 to 40 then 550 to Durango. Have to admitI am a bit tentative about the drive as it is the 1st long trip for us, so the road conditions and grades is important to me. Also a reason I planned short days. I have a gasser but assuming fuel availability shouldn't be a problem as I will be going through towns.

Anyone else planning to be in the area, would like to get together....

Thanks
Rich, Tricia and baby dog (Dallas)
Texas4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

That is a nice easy drive as you can get. All good highways

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Palo Duro SP is south of Amarillo, off I27, so that requires a little back-tracking from I40. An alternative is 287 to I20, then 84 and I27 up to Amarillo. We made the trip last summer, stayed in Lubbock and saved about 100 miles by staying on 84 all the way to Santa Rosa, NM. 550 is a good road in NM, just a steady climb for most of the route, Colorado portion is not as good, but not that much distance.

Plenty to see and do in Durango, Silverton and Ouray.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:53 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Just came in from Palo Duro yesterday. We go there several times a year since it is so close. The kids have a lot of fun there. Need reservations most of the time though as it fills up most nights. The Texas play starts in June and is worth seeing. When we went to Durango there were more activities than we could do. One of our favorite memories from the trip was the Bar D cowboy supper. We laughed all night long. We can up to Durango going though Albuquerque. One the way back we took Wolf Creek and Raton passes. The trip home had a lot of pretty scenery.

2012 Crossroads Cruiser 31QB

B&W Companion Hitch

martinstwopopfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:52 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Depending on how you opt to route your trip from Albuquerque to Durango, you might want to see Chaco Culture National Historic Park in NW New Mexico and Mesa Verde National Parkin SW Colorado. Chaco is probably about 2 1/2 hours from Durango, while Mesa Verde is about 1 1/2 hours. I don't think you could do both in one day, however, despite their relative proximity. There are many campgrounds near Mesa Verde (and one inside the park, too). You could spend a couple of days in the Mesa Verde area (Cortez and Mancos, Colo.) and do Chaco one day and Mesa Verde another.

and Aggie the Gordon setter

Twin Cities

2011 Cruiser Patriot 325CK

2011 Ram 2500 diesel
dbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:39 AM   #6
Site Team

Rich:
Sounds like you have a nice trip planned. I'm jealous. CO. is on my to do list.
Don't worry about the grades, all will be fine.
You and Tricia have a nice time and enjoy yourselves.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote