Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2020, 05:13 PM   #1
New Camper

Va -> fl

Hell all,

We are tentively planning a trip to Fort Wilderness at Disney is the COVID-19 stuff clears up in October over one of my 5-day breaks (being a fireman his it's perks) and was looking for some insight as to doing a longer trip. in 2022 we plan to go out west (Yellowstone, Glacier, Badlands, Mt. Rushmore) and wanted to do some intermitantely longer trips to prepare for that.

We are Disney geeks with family hook-ups, so were not really looking for park stuff.

From the quick research I did, the plan would be to leave Richmond-area, VA and drive about 6 hours to Santee State Park on Lake Marion in SC and camp the night there on Thurday, get up and drive the rest of the way (about 6 hours) to Fort Wilderness stay Friday and Saturday nights, leaving Sunday, staying in Santee agian Sunday night and then coming back home Monday. I would go back to work Tuesday.

The farthest we've gone is Hungry Mother State Park which is about a 6 hour drive for us. We figured we would need to stop for fuel 4 times each way. Are 6 hour days a happy medium?

Thanks for the help!

P.S. Also looking for electronic trip planning software compatible with carplay or can use on my phone to supplement the old Rand-McNally map planning (a skill my father taught that I do not want to lose).

2010 Sunset Trail 24RB w/EAZ Lift WDH
2019 Ram 1500 4x4 HEMI w/Leer Cap
NATRDYSANDCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:49 AM   #2
Site Team

My longest non-stop trips towing my camper have been from Richmond to Talladega and Richmond to Boston. Both trips were about 650 miles and took 12 hours for Talladega and 13 hours for Boston. Even though my truck has a factory navigation system, I use a Garmin RV 760 for on the road navigation. I use a combination of the Garmin BaseCamp software and Microsoft MapPoint for route planning.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:10 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Can’t help you with your Florida trip but have some info on Yellowstone trip. We went last year for 2 weeks from June 9th on. First tourist stop was Cody, Wy. Spent two nights there. Saw a rodeo and the Buffalo Bill museum. Campgrounds in Yellowstone are unserviced. There are dump stations and generators allowed within certain hours. Stayed at Grant Village CG and did the loops by truck only over 3 days.
Headed down to Jackson, Wy. And stayed just outside near a town called Kelly. CG was called Gros Ventre CG. Serviced sites were booked so we had non serviced site. Dump station available too.
From there we headed back east to the Black Hills of SD. We stayed at a couple of campgrounds near Hill City. First CG was booked solid so we only got two nights there. Got two nights at another CG five miles away. Did day trips around the area with just the truck.
On the way home we drove through the Badlands loop. Lots of lookout points with ample parking to stop and take pictures.
Of course all of this is in June when busy season had not started. We did not book any sites and we were just lucky to get sites especially in Yellowstone.
We left from southern Manitoba Canada across North Dakota to Billings Montana and down into Cody. Came back through Casper Wyoming to the Black hills and across South Dakota. We had a fuel range of around 200 miles and spent usually 6-7 hours driving to next CG. Pay attention to gas stations and your guage. I had a Garmin GPS for routes and gas.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:17 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

660 catmans advice about keeping your eyes on your fuel guage and gas stations is very wise. We traveled from Pa to Big Pine Key, Fla. Last year, averaged about 6 Mpg along the way. At one point along the way, we pulled off the highway to hit a fuel stop, which turned out to be under renovation. At that point I was below 1/4 tank. We located another with the gps unit, only to find it was in an extremely busy area, and was so small there was no way I could maneuver to get to the pump. Now I'm in full panic, as my needle was nearly resting on the E. I considered finding a spot and unhooking just to get in the place, but ended up soldiering on. We did finally make it to the next, well off our planned route, and in a very congested area with tight turns, and alot of traffic.
I learned a lesson that day, and always stopped for fuel early after that.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:09 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Rrizz, we had a similar situation in Lusk, Wy. GPS showed a couple of stations and the first one was busy with RV’s. Little did we realize going through town the other one had shut down for good. Had to turn around and by the time we got to gas station three more RV’s pulled up. By then they’re lined up along the Main Street. Had to go past and make a loop around the block to get in line. Ended up being an hour long fuel stop. And yes, manoeuvrability can be an issue at small town gas stations.
Most times we hit the truck stops because friends we travelled with had a diesel pulling a 5th wheel.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:10 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Send a message via MSN to KECoats
https://www.amazon.com/Next-Exit-201.../dp/0984692177

If traveling via the Interstate system, this book is invaluable. Have been using older versions for years across the whole country. We use it when planning trips or when we are already on the road. In an emergency it can help find the nearest stop you need.

There are downloadable version of this type information but I have no experience with them.
KECoats is offline   Reply With Quote