Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

We are contemplating a BIG trip out west and would like to get some knowledgeable input. We are in Alabama and would like to go north to theSeattle, Washington area via I90and then begin a southward journey taking in as much as possiblealong the way.We could be gone 30 days, or more if needed. We can drop the camper for sightseeing if necessary, but do want to utilize the convenience of ourcamper. We have ideas of what we would like to see and will work that into our trip, but our main questions at this point are: 1.best time of year to go; 2. best/safest route with regard to grades, ice, etc.;3. places/roads to avoid; 4. campingamenities available. Any pertinent info would be appreciated.

Gary & Vicki

07 Cruiser CF28RL

03 2500HD Duramax Diesel LS
luv2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:10 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

try and visit Glaicer,yellostone and rocky mtn national parks,mt. rushmore and custer state park, crazy horse mem. then if you have time, arches,bryce canyon,zion and canyonlands n.p's,
we like to leave out early sept thru oct,most of the summer rush is over by then,but it can and does snow in mont.,wyo,and colo in sept.
see some pics at bettieandmark.photoshop.com ,will add some pics of yellowstone and glacierparks soon

the only steep road was east entrance to yellowstone to or from cody,wy (also a good place to see espcially the rodeo and the gunfight in the street by the hotel downtown)

Edited by: joescuba

2011 cf285rl patriot cruiser

07 dodge cummings
joescuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:30 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I haven't been as far west as Bettie and Mark, but I can tell you the drive from Wisconsin to South Dakota on I-90 is very easy. You might want to spend a night or two around Deadwood, SD. You can then go and see Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Bear Country, etc. Lots to do and see there.

sllamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:42 AM   #4
Site Team

I have to say joescuba has pretty well listed the main points to see. I agree with the time frame also, around the first of Sept. thru the middle of Oct. As far as places to stay, we always liked to stay right in the parks if at all possible. That way you are close to everything and it just gives a better feeling to the adventure.
If you have never towed in the mountains it can be adventurous. Make sure the brakes on your trailer have been checked out and set up, and use the tow haul mode.
Have fun and enjoy, that is a wonderful trip you are planning.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

With Yellowstone NP you should also add Grand Teton NP since they are adjacent. Also Columbia River Gorge with several falls along the gorge. Then throw in Mt. Rainier, Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens, Crater Lake. Finally add Oregon and Washington coast with lots of state parks and beaches. 30 days is not enough time. And I almost forget Olympic NP.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Site Team

Boy Larry, I don't know how I forgot/missed them. You are right , 30 days is not enough time. As long as you are going out on I-90, you might just as well stop at beautiful Coeur d' Alene, ID.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I believe that to do this trip right it is two years

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

We've visited about 90% of the places mentioned, but as Frank said it took us 3 or 4 trips over multiple years. All spots mentioned are great!

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:52 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

The sightseeing we can figure out, we've been to many of the places mentioned.

What we really wonder about are the roads,thegrades of the slopes and how hard they are to maneuver.

Have any of you driven this route pulling your camper?

Gary & Vicki

07 Cruiser CF28RL

03 2500HD Duramax Diesel LS
luv2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:34 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2camp

The sightseeing we can figure out, we've been to many of the places mentioned.

What we really wonder about are the roads,thegrades of the slopes and how hard they are to maneuver.

Have any of you driven this route pulling your camper?
If you have been to many of these places I would think you would know what the roads are like.
We have been out there at least 4-5 times in two different MH. Twice with a Lance over the cab truck camper, once with our HH and once with our cruiser.
We have traveled HWY. 2 all the way out, I-94, and I-90 also. Have also gotten onto the state roads at Buffalo WY. and went across to Yellowstone.
There isn't any of the major roads that you have anything to worry about. The grades are not anything to worry about either. If you don't try pulling off onto some cow path and heading cross country you will be just fine.
Like I said before----relax and enjoy. It's a wonderful trip.
Hope that answered your question.