Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #21
Full Time Camper

Mine front jacks were extremely hard to retract when we picked up our Jefferson from the dealer. Service manager said it was because it was so cold. I thought bs. Anyway, service manager also said if you traveled a lot to disconnect the arms. Mostly used for full timers or extended stays. Just wanted to pass it along.
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #22
Weekend Camper

I moved my front supports up & down while connect to the the truck. Some wd-40 and we were in business.
I just wish the dealers new more about what they are selling.
2009 GMC Sierra SLT Dually
C&Jcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #23
Seasonal Camper

Not sure what arms you are referring to. Do you mean the JT Strong stabilizers? Not sure what he meant by disconnecting, but if means to remove themthan you were right to doubt this "manager's" diagnosis of the front jacks.You must release or loosen the arms to retract and extend the jacks and rear jacks. If you don't loosen them enough than yes the jack will not retract well and you risk damaging the motor and/orthe friction point on the bars or worse bending the JTs and mounting points. JT Strong stabilizers are made specifically for those whotravel frequentlyas they are extremely convenient and provide the best means to eliminate rocking and shaking.
http://lci1.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article& id=132%3Ajtsstrongarm&catid=34&Itemid=290
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #24
Full Time Camper

We had the T handles loose. He said the oil in the shock springs inside the strong arms jells up when its cold. Since we are full timing in once spot, no worries for the next 6 years.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #25
Weekend Camper

Yep, the JT arms..My front landing gear was really hard to place in the stored position once I put the trailor on the truck this AM.But I have them moving now And my dealer failed to tell me about the T handles that hold the strong arms in position once unit is set up.
The arms were a new item to me, but after going on the web and forum I now understand them and have them working properly.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:41 AM   #26
Weekend Camper

My wife and I are sitting here reading your post and discussing what seems to be an industry standard, throw the RV's together as quickly as possible and deal with the negative comments later. The problem is no matter how many negative comments are published by the users and all the frustrations that it causes, we are all our own worst enemies because we don't put enough pressure on the manufacturers to improve. RIVA is not going to help solve the issues until consumers quit buying poorly built RV's.

Over the years we have tent camped by auto & motorcycle, owned travel trailers (purchased first one in the early 70's), stepped up to 5th wheels and then all the way up to the class A diesel pushers. One thing that was common no matter how much you paid for an RV was that they alllack proper quality control. Time is money, and the quicker this industry can manufacture something the happier they are. We purchased a new 2011 38' Open Range 359FKS triple slide TT late last summer. It had been cannibalized by the dealer to replace defective components on other similar Open Range products over the past year or two. I have no problem with this, except once you have borrowed something from an unsold unit to expedite the replacement of something on or in a sold unit, why not order replacement parts for the unsold unit immediately? The body decals had signs of peeling taking place, the plastic fender skirts were cracked, the molded rear bumper was cracked, cabinet doors were defective, etc. This list went on and on. I am still waiting for the warranty items to be corrected, and recently I traded it (haven't delivered it yet) in after only "one trip" out towards the purchase of a new 2014 Rushmore-Washington 5th wheel. I will be taking delivery of my new Rushmore either in April or May depending on Wisconsin weather and how quickly the Open Range dealer can correct the warranty items. Do I expect the Rushmore to be defect free, heck no! I have a better chance of winning Power Ball than purchasing an RV that doesn't have at least one or two issues that will eventually require me to personally fix them. I am still waiting to find a RV dealer that really does a quality prep job, follows up on warranty related problems without me hounding them, and that fixes a problem right the first time. However, as RVer's we are part of the problem when we don't continually express our displeasure to the manufacturer's every time we discover an example of poor workmanship. An RV literally wants to shake itself apart as it travels the roads of this country, I know that, and more importantly this industry knows that. So why don't they take the time to properly address the issues that can be corrected with little to no extra cost? More often than not, its the day to day little issues that drive me crazy, not the big items. The big items are obvious and require little or no dealer explanation to get corrected.

The manufacturers continually find a way to increase the price of the units, but can't find a way to improve the quality of the workmanship. There is an old adage that my dad was always scolding me about, "if the job is worth doing, it's worth doing it right". I truly believe that the RV industry would grow by leaps and bounds if it believed in this old adage. First of all you wouldn't lose as many current RVer's that are frustrated by the continued poor quality, and many more new customers would gladly spend their hard earned dollars on a worthwhile investment. I'm just saying............................., I know I'm preaching to the choir.

2013 Ford F350 Dually
2014 Rushmore-Washington
Phillips, WI

Joe & Rozanne
Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:07 AM   #27
Site Team

VERY WELL SAID JOE!!!!
Welcome aboard and congrats on the new rig. I hope this one will be nice to you.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #28
Full Time Camper

Well take more time than we did with the walk thru. We had too flip flop our belongings from our old Alfa to our new Jefferson. Time was short. We are enjoying our new home. No more bugs..We are Happy Campers. Enjoy your Washington. We almost picked that one. But like the more w indow viewing of the Jefferson. The bedroom are sweet. The Denver mattress is the best I ever slept on.

Gary
Old 03-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #29
Full Time Camper

Very well done and sad but true.

Edited by: LeBo
Faribault MN
LeBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #30
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Joe, everything you've said is true...and you've said it well. Asour fellowWisconsinite "Lloyd" said you've put it well. I do have what I consider to be a good dealer...my first unit was in good shape and everything in the PDI was addressed...and I'm expecting the same on my next unit when I pick that one up. I doubt I would have been back with Crossroads if it had not been for them. I trust them and I trust that they will be right by me. I feel bad for anyone who does not get a good dealer...one who cares and wants return business. I hope the weather turns for you so you get to use it in April I've got a skid/steer loader coming to help dig out my old unit so I can get it to the dealer's LOL... I'm still waiting for spring and I'm sure and Lloyd are too.

Travel well, good luck with your new unit,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #31
Weekend Camper

I had a Bobcat 773 Skid-steer loader up until last summer when I decided I could get by without one from now on. This winter proved just how wrong someone like me can be. I purchased a power angle blade and power lift for my ATV which works okay, but the driveway is now very narrow and the area where the Open Range RV is parked is too buried in snow banks to get it out. I guess this winter's snow fall and cold spring temperatures have messed with many an RVer's plans. I was hoping and anticipating that I would be calling the Open Range dealership by this time to set up another appointment to get the warranty issues addressed, so I can haul it over to the Crossroads dealership. If I had only kept the Skid-steer loader one more year I wouldn't be in situation, hindsight is always better than foresight.

I am glad someone actually has a dealer that cares about his customers. I'm always hoping that the next one will be the one for me. Maybe it's my turn, I'm over due! The true test comes when there are "gray areas" regarding warranty related issues. When the dealer starts out saying "if it were up to me", I would cover this under warranty but the manufacturer isn't willing to see it our way. My favorite is, "its clearly a design problem, but there is nothing we can do about it". I should contact the manufacturer's and sell them some of my changes over the years that fixed their poor design problems.

I spent the last 30+ years before retirement, selling equipment in the corrugated paper industry and can appreciate both sides of a sale that has gone wrong. However, we did get most of them right and we sure as hell made every effort possible to sets things right no matter who screwed things up. Repeat business is easy if the customer is convinced he was treated fairly and properly regardless of the final outcome. Oops!!!!!!! I'm getting back on my soap box again, sorry!

Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #32
Full Time Camper

Stock up on halogen light bulbs. For all you new Crossroad owners. Its been just two months. On our 7th burned out bulb. Going to look into LED bulbs. Crossroads must of got a cheap price on these bulbs. Ok done venting...I feel better ..

Gary
Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #33
Weekend Camper

in the section of the forum under upgrades there seems to be good info on LEDS.

I am going to look into them myself after I get past my latest problem with my WASHINGTON.

The fellow buying the LEDS is getting them form ebay for about 2.70 each vise 6-10 dollers each.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #34
Site Team

I know there are cheaper priced LEDs on the market. I've bought some of them. The last LEDs I purchased, I got from command electronics. In my opinion they are the best out there. Pricey, but remember the old saying--- "you get what you pay for"

http://www.commandelectronics.com/int_led.html

Take some time to look the site over, they have LED lights for inside and out for every application. Both fixtures or bulbs alone.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:58 AM   #35
Full Time Camper

hey Old Farmer..a BIG thanks...
Old 03-27-2013, 06:28 AM   #36
Full Time Camper

Just came off the roof. Installing Max vents. My first visit up there. They did a second rate job. No surprise. Around bathroom skylight. The corner radius of each corner were splitting apart, not good. Looks like poor quality caulking from factory.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #37
Weekend Camper

What max vents did u get? Were they easy to install? Edited by: pipeliner
pipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:53 AM   #38
Full Time Camper

Went with MaxxAir II...easy to install...
Old 06-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #39
Full Time Camper

Now one of dinette chair legs split down where the screws go in. Sent pics to dealer. Wait and see if Cross Roads sends out a new one...
Old 06-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #40
New Camper

Understand ours has been used twice and will not cool it was 104 outside 97 inside with 2 air on stayed in shop over 30 days and now 95 outside 85 inside this does not work for me also used new unit twice and had to replace propane connectons they split glad we noticed.