Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Holding tanks

Hi just spent 2 weeks at the 500 in daytona. Our 14 lincoln rushmore has a galley and grey levers . I can only get 4 quick showers out of it before it says full. When i pull the grey i get nothing its all going into galley. Iam i not doing something to equilize something. I thought this trailer would have a big tank
vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

Some of the Redwoods were plumbed that way also, the galley, shower, & lavatory went into one tank & only the washing machine went into the other. Most folks used an add on valve onto the dump line & opened both grey valves to equalize both greys. Just be sure to close both grey valves before dumping black tank.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:54 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

That's what I did...added a third dump valve at my main drain. Fairly easy to do. Now while on extended stays, I basically have the ability to store up to 80 gallons of grey water. As mentioned, you need to close the grey tanks before dumping the black. Not all RV's are plumbed so you can do this...some have a separate grey dump valve location for each of the grey tanks i.e. one towards the front and one towards the back of the rig.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:42 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

So where do you tie in this other valve at main. Should I not take down the bottom to get at plumbing and join both grey tanks so the both fill at same time. Never really seen the tanks before so I don't no what to look for
Old 02-25-2016, 08:46 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationer View Post
So where do you tie in this other valve at main. Should I not take down the bottom to get at plumbing and join both grey tanks so the both fill at same time. Never really seen the tanks before so I don't no what to look for

On mine, there is separate cables for each grey tank. I placed one of these Valterra valves on the end of the sewer hook up, closed it and then opened both grey tanks. This will allow the two tanks to equalize.
You can get them that hook up the same way the sewer hose does.
http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-7201-...velttera+valve
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:00 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

What I did was to cut off the ABS fitting where you connect the sewer hose. I then glued on a 3" ABS Male threaded adapter and bought a female threaded valve. Screwed it on the male adapter and done!. If the blade valve ever fails, I can easily un-screw it and install a new one. Again, this mod only works if both your grey tanks are connected to your one main drain. You can Email me (address in my profile) and I can email you a couple of pictures of what mine looks like.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #7
Site Team

Stan, I'm not sure why you would cut and glue on an adapter thread, when you could just by the Valtera valve like Lloyd posted. But if it works for you, the fine.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:16 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Mark, I wanted a stronger connection. When I did mine I could have bought a valve that could be attached with the "pins" on the existing drain fitting. I felt that these pins might break at the most inopportune time. I Decided to go with the stronger mount - and it can be removed/replaced easily..
Old 02-25-2016, 06:35 PM   #9
Site Team

and I guess the twist on with pins could be stolen also. Just curious.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:43 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Not sure what's got you so concerned. Your right though...if someone wanted my sewer dump valve they could take it. Is that a common occurrence in your neck of the woods?
Old 02-26-2016, 10:15 AM   #11
Gone Traveling

Huge black market demand for used sewer dump valves? Yuk!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:19 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

People will steal anything, these days. Especially at State Parks....
Old 02-26-2016, 08:21 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Let's put it this way if I needed to combine my 2 grey tanks I would and have the valterra slip on and if someone really needed to steal my 30.00 item then fill your boots and I will get a new one. Seriously I would not go to the trouble of either cutting the little knobs off and gluing it to the end of the pipe as these valves do tend to fail and then you have the headache of replacing it . Unscrew it throw it away and buy another
woodwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:41 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

I have to agree with Stan...If anyone was going to steal something, they want to get & go, probably not going to take the time to unscrew something and get caught...

As for me I just keep an eye on the gray tank for the kitchen...It usually needs to be emptied way before the shower & bathroom sink tank, and that depends on how many dishes we have to wash...Eating out and paper plates cuts down on kitchen waste water a lot...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:43 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Just bought that valve at the rv show in Toronto. I will give that try in the spring after I get the trailer back from the dealer. Needed furnace fixed and ac are wired backwords. The stat in bedroom runs the front ac and vise versa. We are also adding a fantastic fan in the bathroom. Could not reach to open the other one,didnt make sense needed a broom to open it . It was at least 9ft in the bathroom to ceiling