Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2016, 08:21 PM   #1
New Camper

Holding tanks monitor and external speakers not working

I took my 2015 Rushmore out for the first time two weeks ago and found that the tank level monitor is not working correctly. When I press the button for any tank (fresh, grey1, grey2, blk) they all read same. That is the E and the 2/3 LEDS light up.
I also found that I cannot get the radio in the basement to play music over the external speakers. I even tried using the the AUX input connect to my cell phone music but no luck.
Luckily everything is under warranty and I can take it back to the dealer. But if anyone has any suggestions I could try you might same me trip.
Thank you,
Timberwolf
Timberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:39 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Just about everyone uses the cheap tank monitors and even if they work, they won't work for long. Some RVers go to a lot of effort to keep the sensors working. And, there are a few aftermarket units that are much better. On my '04 Cruiser I installed a SeeLevel II system. Haven't bothered on the new Cruiser, I just don't use the monitor. I never travel with full fresh water, just add a few gallons when I leave home. The gray tank valves are open when full hookups are available and the black tank is dumped after a certain number of days camping (in my case 2 weeks). With a black tank flush, there is really no need to use gray water to flush the sewer hose after dumping the black tank.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:37 AM   #3
New Camper

Larry, thank you for the reply. The tank monitor does look cheap but I would expect it to work on a brand new trailer. I will look into the SeeLevel II. Did you install yourself or did you have it done?
Timberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:51 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I Did the install myself. Sensors attach to the Outside of each tank. Existing wires can be used and the display located near the factory display
Old 02-07-2016, 10:30 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1 View Post
I Did the install myself. Sensors attach to the Outside of each tank. Existing wires can be used and the display located near the factory display
I'm assuming you had to drop the whole underbelly to do the install or did you just cut holes/drop in the area you had to put the sensors. Did you use existing wiring or pull in new? I need to do the same thing & if I have to drop the underbelly, then I have some other projects to do at the same time.
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:59 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodcarvingGypsy View Post
I'm assuming you had to drop the whole underbelly to do the install or did you just cut holes/drop in the area you had to put the sensors. Did you use existing wiring or pull in new? I need to do the same thing & if I have to drop the underbelly, then I have some other projects to do at the same time.
As I indicated, I used the existing sensor wires rather than pulling new ones. In fact the SeeLevelII only needs a single wire plus ground to read all sensors. You shouldn't need to drop the entire underbelly, just a back corner for the fresh water tank and a front side for the other tanks.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Old 05-08-2016, 06:18 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Larry, a couple of questions I should have asked before.

On the tank sensors, did you use the standard 12" or did it take 2 on the fresh water tank? By dropping the front side, I'm assuming from the front of the camper, am it correct?

Also, did you happen to notice where the dump valves were located while the belly was down. I want to replace mine with the electric units (my cable slides are getting stiff & lube doesn't seem to help). I know the black water tank is 3". Do they use the same tank for grey water & reduce the opening to 1 1/2" or is it that size right out of the tank?

Thanks.

Al
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:24 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

A single sensor works for the fresh water tank. You don't need to drop the entire underbelly, a corner in the rear and along one front side. I can't tell which will work best for you, it depends on the tank layout, but I'd try drivers side first. Gray tank valves are 1-1/2 inch and as close to the tank as possible after the reducer. They could be on either side of the trailer but if you push against the underbelly just beyond where it disappears you can usually trace it far enough to figure it out.

Tags
tbrat710