Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

This is more of a general question that I think I know the answer, We have 30amp service at our park, can we run both a/c units together, with my previous Bounder I could but it had a voltage manager. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
RICK7458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

We cannot run both AC units on our trailer on 30 amp only 50 amp. I do have a way to run both our units from a 30 amp power pedestal but it takes a few things to do that.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:35 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Hey Guys, First time out with our Rushmore Lincolnand they are having a bit of a heat wave up here in Grand Forks, ND! Our AC is not keeping up. The bedroom is cold but the living area isn't cool until we open the vent on the AC unit itself (which then is too loud to hear yourself think!). Is this normal for the Lincoln? We sit on the couchup front and with the curtains closed it doesn't feel hot, so we can't figure out why it doesn't cool down. With the thermostat adjusted to try tobalance the temp inside the coach, it still says it's 77 in the front and 68 in the bedroom. Where do we begin to identify the issue? I do hope this notbecause ofthis floor plan. We love it so far, but this would be unacceptable for us. Anyone alsohaving this issue? I can't imagine FL in August! Thanks!
RJHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:33 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Do you have two 15k btu AC units or a 15k and a 13.5k? If it is the latter which one is where? I would guess the 15k is in the bedroom and the 13.5k in the living area.

Let me email Steve Ford (FFFord) with this link and see if he can help you out. They have a FL Rushmore down here in Texas and I think he was having a similar problem.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

We recently purchased a 2013 Washington model and are having the same problem. The unit in the LR runs constantly but does not cool down and the 15000 BTU unit is in the LR.We live in Florida and this is not acceptable.
Utmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Old 05-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Ours is the 2014 Lincoln, it's not even hot in Cincinnati, and the a/c can't handle it, might be a short lived unit if this is all it does.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHewitt

Hey Guys, First time out with our Rushmore Lincolnand they are having a bit of a heat wave up here in Grand Forks, ND! Our AC is not keeping up. The bedroom is cold but the living area isn't cool until we open the vent on the AC unit itself (which then is too loud to hear yourself think!). Is this normal for the Lincoln? We sit on the couchup front and with the curtains closed it doesn't feel hot, so we can't figure out why it doesn't cool down. With the thermostat adjusted to try tobalance the temp inside the coach, it still says it's 77 in the front and 68 in the bedroom. Where do we begin to identify the issue? I do hope this notbecause ofthis floor plan. We love it so far, but this would be unacceptable for us. Anyone alsohaving this issue? I can't imagine FL in August! Thanks!

Sounds like a problem with the duct work since the direct vent works OK. There are several potential issues, the duct that connects to the A/C unit may not be sealed very well, or it may not be sealed well at each of the outlets. Also, the duct is pretty small and the round outlet may stick up into the duct too far and restrict air flow. Finally, the duct may not be sealed well after the last outlet in the run.

Unlike an upper BR floor plan, the large open area allows greater air circulation with cooler air dropping into the kitchen area and hotter air rising into the LR. And w/o a door or curtain to control air flow, the upper LR will always be hotter than the rest of the trailer. I would verify that the front A/C is really a 15k unit by checking the serial number.

Where is the thermostat located? If it is located in the lower area, and the set temp is too high, then the A/C may never switch to high speed to provide maximum cooling.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Larry is correct in his statement about the duct work and the lack of sealing off the ends and losing cold air between the ceiling and attic area. I wish we still had access to the old forum as there was much information about the issue there (it has been ongoing for years). We were losing cold air in our old Cruiser due to one of the end runs on the duct work not being completely sealed. Our current unit had the end run in the bedroom duct work not even sealed when we got it.

Once I sealed it with expanding foam and we pulled all the AC registers and sealed the area between the ceiling and attic area with aluminum AC/heating tape we greatly increased the cold air in the trailer. Not saying this is your issue but it might be something to look at. If you pull a register near one of your end runs on your duct work you can use a small mirror and flashlight to see if they are sealed. I even had Crossroads send me the layout of the duct work so I knew where everything was. Larry has also giving you some other good things to check.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

I removed the directional vents in the ceiling last week. Found pilot holes in the attic ceiling. From when they drilled the ceiling air vent holes. I used foil tape to seal over them. We could feel a increase of cold air. Also in our Jefferson, the bedroom air conditioning has vents we keep closed. On the thermostat, we have the fan set on high with the air conditioner running. Its was 100° here last week. Our placed stayed at 72° to 74°. We did cover widows for extra shading. Had a new awning installed today over couch window. Should help a lot, since it faces south.
Gary
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

I'm looking at my ceiling this morning. All the resecced lights and speakers, which probably also have attic holes behind them. About 16 more holes to cover. Going too tackle that on Wednesday. Will let you all know.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Gary, you are on the right track. The sad thing is Crossroads has known about this problem for years and never done anything to fix it. Same thing with the heater blanks that fall off and cause you to lose heat. It is all about throwing them out the door as fast as they can now.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:06 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Thanks so much for the advice.Pulled off the return air vents in the LR and they were not sealed.Went and picked up aluminum AC tape and sealed them about an hour ago and the temp has already dropped 5 degrees. I have had an RV repAir man out here twice and he said everything was fine, that I just live in a hot humid climate.
Utmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:32 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

When you get time I would look at sealing all of yourAC registers. It will help increase air flow throughout the trailer. I do not know what type registers your unit has but ours had some plastic flaps in them so you could close off some vents. When we sealed our registers we also pulled these out because to me they impeded air flow. Just some different things you can try when you have time.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:05 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

I also found exchange box located under the quick cool vent cover was also not sealed and I was loosing air right at the source before it entered the ducts. I think there was a ration of tape assigned during construction as they used the least amount possible.

I basically went through my entire duct system and tapedevery hole and seam. Removed the dampers just like Hunter11 and noticed a remarkable difference.

And it shouldgo without saying, but don't forget to clean or replacethe filter on a regular basis! When dirty that foamreally chokes the airflow.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Where are you finding the dampers?
Old 05-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #17
Seasonal Camper

When I refer to dampers I meant what Hunter11 said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11

I do not know what type registers your unit has but ours had some plastic flaps in them so you could close off some vents. When we sealed our registers we also pulled these out because to me they impeded air flow. Just some different things you can try when you have time.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

Jeff, ours had them on the back side of the ceiling registers. Once we pulled the registers down to seal off the area between the ceiling and attic I removed the plastic adjustable dampers and put the open register back in place. The ones we have in our unit are like the ones below only white. You can see the damper part we removed from all of our vents. Doing this and sealing the area between the ceiling and attic at all the vents made a big difference in the air flow in our trailer.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-4-beige/70819
Old 05-22-2013, 02:48 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

Thanks for all of the quick responses, looks like I have my work cut out, Thanks again,
Old 05-22-2013, 03:19 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Well duct work on hold today...Washer & dryer being delivered. Time to cut holes and install. Damn my wife is happy..
Gary

Only dryer showed up..Edited by: Ramn4ver