Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2016, 10:47 PM   #1
New Camper

Rushmore Washington Wiring

I have a 2014 Rushmore Washington. We noticed a smell of electrical some time ago and then just recently again. After further inspection we noticed a melting wire in the very front compartment where the hydraulic put battery etc is. We also noticed that when we turn the main battery cutoff switch that it doesn't seem to disconnect the power.

After further examination and having an good understanding of electrical circuits I noticed that all the breakers are bridged/jumped together with a small wire. That means if one breaker trips all the load would be bridged from another breaker. With the small wiring that was used to jump the connections this would be a huge fire hazard.

Anyone have a Rushmore Washington that could send me a picture of their wiring?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring picture Rushmore (Large).jpg (209.7 KB, 25 views)
robert thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #2
Gone Traveling

Did you buy new or used? Appears someone has/had absolutely NO understanding of what those breakers were for! Jumping obviously a 50-80 amp breaker with 14-16 gauge wire?? My son sent me pictures of a S&B home they are looking at & it had several of the 20/30 amp breakers double tapped, another DIYer that hasn't a clue.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:04 PM   #3
New Camper

We got it new just about 18 months ago. The first clue I had was when I tuned of the battery cut of switch all 12V connections and lights would stay on. At the time I figured I was just doing something wrong. I sent an email to Crossroads support so maybe I can get a wiring diagram to fix the problem. I agree I got 8guage wire connecting the batt. then small wire that is jumping all the breakers.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:50 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

When Brenda and I took our Rushmore Lincoln to the factory, Randy, Service Manager for Crossroads, rewired our Battery Cutoff Switch because it too was wired improperly at the factory. When I return home on Tuesday, I will send a picture of our block.
Kenny
Kenny White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:07 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Rushmore Battery Cutoff Switch Diagram

Attached are the pictures of the wiring of our 2015 Rushmore Lincoln. According to Randy, the Service Manager in charge of my unit while at the Customer Service Center, it was improperly wired upon arrival at the center.

This is the route used by himself. The loop I am showing is attached to the same lug as the positive battery wire is attached to from the battery disconnect switch to the bar.

If any needs other wires on the bar traced let me know.

Kenny

Kenny & Brenda
Denison, TX
2015 Rushmore Lincoln
08' Dodge 3500 SXT DRW
Full Timers
Kenny White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:03 AM   #6
New Camper

Thanks for pictures

Thank you very much for the pictures. It looks like they also jumped your breakers with a copper plate as apposed to a small wire like they used on ours. I do know what needs to be changed with my Batt. cutoff switch.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny White View Post
Attached are the pictures of the wiring of our 2015 Rushmore Lincoln. According to Randy, the Service Manager in charge of my unit while at the Customer Service Center, it was improperly wired upon arrival at the center.

This is the route used by himself. The loop I am showing is attached to the same lug as the positive battery wire is attached to from the battery disconnect switch to the bar.

If any needs other wires on the bar traced let me know.

Kenny
Old 03-14-2016, 10:40 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

picking mine up this weekend from dealer. I had another battery put in so iam checking the disconnect also. When I picked the trailer up a few weeks ago after being stored for 2 months the battery was dead, and I did have the disconnect off.
vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:41 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

They had to rewire both ac also ,and take ceiling panels down to do so. Hope they work right this time
vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:16 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

So, after that picture I had to go look at mine....Mine is similar to Kenny's. Glad you caught it before anything serious happened...

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:39 PM   #10
New Camper

Rushmore wiring!

Hi, We have a 2015 Rushmore Springfield with similar problems! While checking the battery cables the wires pulled right out of the stacons on both batteries! Being a licensed electrician, I started snooping around and found many more defective connections in the battery compartment! Ticked off at the incompetence of the monkeys on the production line, I replaced all the factory battery wiring with #2 Welding cable and compression lugs, costs about $150.00. I checked all coax connections and replaced almost all because not properly installed, aka no picture on tv.One more thing please pull wheels and brake drums, off mine were saturated with grease from the factory monkeys over greasing the them when new and blowing out the rear seals.Dealer offered to clean them off!! Replaced all with discs. Check your brakes for your own safety!!
rimoskeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:12 PM   #11
Gone Traveling

I think you're giving those guys too much credit calling them monkeys, fairly certain monkeys would/could do a better job. They don't give a rat's a$$ as long as it gets out the door.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:42 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

The over greasing is probably your dealer not the factory monkeys. Factory only puts in pre greased bearings,....do not think they take the time (or expense) to add grease.
Some dealers(like my x dealer)pump cold grease to the hubs so they do not have to take hubs off to check them.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, rushmore, washington