Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2018, 06:40 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Shattered underbelly

We had a very long and cold winter here in Alberta and upon inspection of our 2014 Rushmore I found that the polycarbonate underbelly covering was ripped apart, due to the weather according to our dealer. As it appears to have started from the bolts holding the panel to the bottom of our Rushmore we are being told that even the extended warranty won’t cover it. The cold was so intense this year that the polycarbonate contracted until it ripped apart.

I will crawl under the unit this weekend and Gorilla tape all the splits and hope for the best but I wanted to let others in cold climate areas know to check the underbelly covering for cracking and splits. I will not attempt to replace the covering with 4x8 panels of polycarbonate because the original is one continuous piece as far as I’ve seen and there is no way to join smaller panels along their length since the trailer is all metal framing.

Just some info for you owners!
calgarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:00 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Can be complicated, but gorilla tape is a good start.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:20 PM   #3
Site Team

And heat the Gorilla tape with a heat gun to set it permanently.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:21 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Send a message via MSN to k5sat Send a message via Yahoo to k5sat
I had a tire blow up last year that ripped a big hole in the floor of my Z1. Tore up the siding, fenders, a real mess. Fortunately it was covered by insurance. All but the tires. The tire manufacture ran and hid when my insurer tried to hold them responsible. When the RV repair shop fixed our floor they added a metal plate underneath. I guess I am protected if the same tire ever blows up. Seems it is always something.

Something for everyone to keep in mind. Our tires had less than 1000 miles on them, but they were manufactured over five years ago. The tires still had the little rubber stubs sticking out and looked brand new. The age gave the tire folks a way out. Our RV shop recommends replacing tires every couple of years no matter the mileage. And check the manufacture date on the tires. He said not uncommon for tires to sit in a warehouse for two years.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:15 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Shattered underbelly

Mine cracked bad two winters ago. I bought enough material to cover from rear of ZT260BH to just ahead of front axle. Material was much better than OEM in camper. I also added more cross braces. It wasn’t that bad to replace even with notches to cut at shackles and piping. Got special tape from RV dealer specifically made for that purpose. It’s very sticky. New piece was installed under lead original piece just in case tape let go. So far it has not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote